Be Careful Out There! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Be Careful Out There!

willmullis
04-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Just found this article. What's the chances?

Man killed fly-fishing in Big Thompson Canyon
LARIMER COUNTY – A man was killed Saturday when he was hit by a huge boulder while fly-fishing in Big Thomson Canyon, the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office said.

Michael Diggs of Fort Collins said he and his friend, Frank Misso, were fly fishing about four miles west of Drake when a boulder dislodged from the wall above them. Diggs said he was about 50 yards from Misso when he saw the boulder hit his friend. The boulder weighed approximately 600 pounds.

Paramedics arrived at the scene within ten minutes. However, Misso was
pronounced dead at the scene.

Misso, 38, was from Paradise, California.

BobK
04-22-2003, 10:56 AM
Fishing in NY also has its share of bad places - Fish Creek (in the gorge) has NUMEROUS shale slides daily - and it is STEEP! Also, many shale-bottom streams are TREACHEROUS!

In addition, many Lake Ontario tribs are slick-bottomed, and rising water (from the power dams) can raise the water level in a hurry.

Watching for these things requires constant attention. Just fish SAFE, and be aware of your surroundings!

BobK

juro
04-22-2003, 11:43 AM
I was enjoying seeing summer steelhead way up in closed waters with my dog up in the Kalama Canyon. Of course the rod was in the truck, it's just beautiful up there and seeing wild fish that will not be touched is refreshing as well.

As we walked a ridge, my dog scampered across an outcropping just ahead of me and the underlying rockpile collapsed into the gorge. My dog barely escaped due to his four-legged lightning quick reflexes, although he did slide downward a ways before being able to leap to safety.

If I had not been walking with him I would not be typing this right now!

Thanks Cody.

Brad
04-22-2003, 01:58 PM
I know the area well on the Big T, it is about 45 min from my house. It was a freak accident, the spring thaw is in full swing and this is the time of year when rocks come tumbling down. By the way that is where 139 people died in a flood in 1976.

Brad

sinktip
04-22-2003, 02:14 PM
I am not trying to triviallize a tragedy but if you have to go, what better place than out on a river.

This from someone who was at the bottom of a cliff watching trees tumble down during the Nisqually Quake two years ago. :whoa:

fishheadfred
05-05-2003, 11:46 PM
we always need to be cautious, especially when fishing alone. Several years ago, i was fishing a section of the Big Sandy in Eastern kentucky....flying alone after dark from a boat....pulled up to the bank to relieve myself and stepped into a huge pot patch...now, being from ky, i KNOW pot. i headed back for the boat when a shotgun blast screamed through the trees just feet above my head...needless to say the trip up stream was cut short that night:eyecrazy: