Fly Fishing Forum banner

Boat bag/gear bag

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  R.B. Craddock 
#1 ·
Say hey, anyone care to share their thoughts, experiences, or recommendations on a good boat bag/gear bag?

I'm looking to outfit my pram with one and I'm finding a tremendous variety online, they're available in a wide price range but the websites typically don't offer much detail about the individual products. Thanks, John:smokin:

#2 ·
I tend to opt for absolute O2 proofing verses style. The Sealine rolltop bags are affordable and bomb-proof. In an emergency, you could use one as a bouyancy device once closed. 100% waterproof.

Don't get the clear - the condensation gets everything wet inside.

#3 ·
I suspect that the difference between clear and some other color is that you can see the condensation?
I have a Patagucci waterproof("stormfront"?) with a waterproof zipper that is $$$ but amazing. Perfect for any situation where things might get wet. I keep cameras in this one. Mangrove makes a good one that is neoprene. It could use a few more pockets but I use it for traveling because it folds well. JW Outfitters has an excellent one(the big one is the one I use on my boat). Plenty of pockets and very funtional. I think it is the best.

#4 ·
One other option...

If you are looking for a small to medium size "gear bag", I would suggest picking out an electronics store, and checking out camera and accessory bags. You might just find what you want (I DID!), and the prices are a lot lower.

BobK

#5 ·
...'Having a senior moment...can't recall the name but...

I've been using a clear, large satchel sized, roll top bag with strap handles...sold by Orvis. Try to catch 'em on $ale!
The bottom is a black heavy vinyl...the top is clear heavy vinyl.
It eats ALOT of stuff/junque...easy in/out large opening...top rolls for an adequate seal...
You can see what's in it and where it's hiding...nice for charters where you can store jackets/cameras/gear/etc...but, mind you, any bag left in the sun will yield some minor condensation thanks to some laws of physics and moisture present! Keep it in the shade away from the effects of direct sun and it's a different dry story.

#6 ·
I use a rolltop drybag backpack every time out on Monomoy while guiding on the flats or sometimes when I need more than a energy bar and water. While guiding it's used to carry enough for two clients, sometimes more. Water, lunches, spare equipment, first aid, etc. My experiences have been that solar effect on clear is pronounced verses opaque backpacks. The opaque material does not allow UV to enter while the clear creates a surprisingly strong greenhouse effect.

I would prefer the clear because you can see what you are diggin for, but with the high sun on the flats the contents are significantly better off in opaque and the primary reason is condensation, secondary = temperature. As an experiment I placed a spare t-shirt in the pack one morning. When I reached in to get lunches at breaktime, the shirt was quite wet.

I then started to keep the pack open at the top to allow it to breathe. This defeated the purpose of a drybag, so I retired the bag and went back to the old opaque pack again.

To defeat the disadvantage of not seeing in, I now use small color-coded drawstring stuff sacks in a wide range of sizes to sort goods inside the pack. Yellow medium - first aid. Red small - tippets. Large green - lunch, etc.

Another important aspect of a drybag backpack is the snap-belt. With a belt the pack sits snugly and does not get in the way of arm motion, namely double hauling etc. With just the shoulder straps, the pack is less comfortable on the shoulders and does not stay put as well, requiring constant pushing back with elbows, etc.

Your results may vary,
Juro

#7 ·
Boat Bag/Gear Bag

Juro, Eddie, BobK, and Penguin,
Thanks for all the great ideas. I had a waterproof bag, which I hadn't been using as much as I could, and using it as part of my gear will allow me to go with a smaller less expensive option. I settled on the Boatbag that Feather Craft carries to complete the package. It's a pretty cool design and the only one I came across that has hooks or hangers that allow you to drape the gear bag from the gunnels and keep it off the floor and out of the way. Thanks again, John :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.