Question - Favorite Top 5 FF Species [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Question - Favorite Top 5 FF Species

pmflyfisher
04-17-2003, 11:08 AM
Taking your current home waters into account which you can reach in a one day fishing trip.

What are the top five fresh or salt water species you would fly fish for in order of preference ?

Assume all fish are equally available to you for the answer.

Heres mine:

1. Steelhead
2. King Salmon
3. Stream resident trout (brown, rainbow, brook)
4. Small mouth bass
5. Large mouth Bass

PM Out

P.S. Q - Carp are # 6.

Dble Haul
04-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Here's mine, in no particular order:

Largemouth bass
Smallmouth bass
Striped bass
Bluefish
Pike

There are many others, but those are the tops for me.

BTW Hal, you've listed far more than five (three alone in number 3). Manipulating the numbers again? ;)

John Desjardins
04-17-2003, 11:35 AM
[list=1]
Brook trout
Striped bass
Smallmouth bass
Panfish
Large mouth bass
[/list=1]

pmflyfisher
04-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Theres just too much trout fishing around here I guess to list all separate trout species, trout fly fishing is where I started long ago and is what I really am. My true love, etc...

Numbers were devised to be manipulated, just ask Fred the banker, how he manipulates interest rates and down payments on loans, to close the deal. He probably has it down to a mental science by now, poor oregonian real estate consumers.

LOL

PM Out

removed_by_request
04-17-2003, 12:21 PM
1. Nice Lake run Brown
2. Steelhead
3. Atlantic
4. Walleye (can't fly fish for them but too tasty to pass on)
5. Lake Perch (ditto, see above)

John Desjardins
04-17-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by pmflyfisher

Numbers were devised to be manipulated

Who should the quote "Lies, Damn lies and Statistics" be credited to. I'm betting a politician.

Sprocket
04-17-2003, 12:47 PM
In descending order:
Brook trout - for the places they are found
Stripers - places & action
all other salmonoids
all other saltwater fishes
anything else that bites the fly :smokin:

Lipripper
04-17-2003, 01:22 PM
1. STEEL
2. Resident Trout
3. LRB
4. Smallies
5. Pike (Hope to educate myself a little more this summer in Esox-ology)

craig
04-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Here's mine:

1. stripers
2. blues
3. tuna (exotics)
4. land lock salmon
5. trout

SDHflyfisher
04-17-2003, 03:13 PM
trout largmouth smallmouth panfish and steelhead if i could find them

pmflyfisher
04-17-2003, 05:38 PM
and steelhead if i could find them

Thats the challenge, don't give up, keep reading and fishing for them you will figure it out eventually.

PM Out

Willie Gunn
04-17-2003, 05:48 PM
1. Atlantic Salmon.
2. More Atlantic salmon
3.Even more Atlantic Salmon
4. Brown Trout
5. Sea Trout (brown trout which go to sea)

Ok then top 3 species and one of those is a sub species.

Malcolm

Quentin
04-17-2003, 07:10 PM
My five, in no particular order, are:

Striped Bass
Smallmouth Bass
Carp
Northern Pike
False Albacore

If we're allowed to add "close relatives" then I'd include largemouth bass with smallmouth bass and bonito with albies.

Q

Quentin
04-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by mjyp
. . .

4. Walleye (good eater)
. . .

mjyp -- Have you had much success catching walleyes on the flyrod? They aren't one of the species that I normally associate with flyfishing. Care to share some of your stories and tactics (in a new thread)??? I know I'd like to learn more, and I'm sure others would too! :D

Q

extmtbiker
04-17-2003, 10:51 PM
1.Rainbow Trout (any trout avalable)
2.Steelhead
3.bass
4.salmon

Moonlight
04-18-2003, 12:36 AM
Good, an easy one!
1. Steelhead
2. Sea run Cutthroat
3.Resident Rainbows
4.Resident Cutthroat
5. Coho in the Salt

Bob Pauli
04-18-2003, 01:42 AM
Given your statement: "Assume all fish are equally available to you for the answer."

1. Steel
2. Steel
3. Steel
4. Steel
5. Steel

DFix
04-18-2003, 09:15 AM
1. Whatever
2. Wherever
3. Whenever
4. I get
5. A chance

juro
04-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Oh man I can't create a list, it would have to be a matrix and maybe even a 3D matrix to classify and rank my affinity for finned friends.

For instance do I love steelhead more than stripers? Why I love them both! And what about bonefish? Atlantic salmon? Big feisty hooknosed feeder coho in a briny ocean riptide? A rare 30# chinook on a fly? Tarpon? Bonito and albies, skipjacks? Searun trout? 5 pound native smallmouth on a deerhair bug? Brilliantly colored northern brookies or Maine landlocks? Slammer blues over 15# on a surface banger? Illiamna wild Alaska rainbows to 20#?

The list goes on and on and on... I could not choose 5 in an order that puts one atop the other and leaves the rest off the list.

But rest assured I will devote a part of my life to try to answer this question someday... :D

pmflyfisher
04-18-2003, 09:25 AM
I knew your number one would be Steelhead.

An excellent choice. They are a true cult fish they get into your blood and mind.

PM Out

removed_by_request
04-18-2003, 09:46 AM
Something to be said about guys who fish only huge lake and sea run Browns. They are one tough mother.

One day the trip to the land of fire must be made.

Lipripper
04-18-2003, 10:28 AM
Count me in on that trip.
http://www.magallanesflyfishing.com/

Something tells me they don't D&C there....:hehe:

pmflyfisher
04-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Are you talking about Iceland ?

If so I was there and did see a 20+lb brown one of the NCOs caught up in Akueryi in northern iceland. I actually have Super 8 pictures of it in my USAF picture archives. Big fat brown, caught on gear though. :(

Pm Out

removed_by_request
04-18-2003, 11:26 AM
LR,

I am with you 100%, all I need is abot 3k in spare $$$ and we are there.

No not Iceland... land of fire (tierra del fuego) didn't you talk with JT about this is January? Chile dude. Big bad browns.

pmflyfisher
04-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Iceland has some good big brown trout fishing also. Its a sleeper fishery, every one goes for the Atlantics.

JT almost talked Smolt into going to Chile, he could tell I would be a harder sell though and did not hit on me as much. He was right of course. It was a trip to Chile for big browns, steelhead, and atlantics. He said it is better than Argentina - Patagonia.

Who am I to argue about such things. I am grateful when I get a few days up in my beloved michigan waters.

Check JTs web site out and the results of the trip may be posted which was the last week of March and first week of April.

I could not stand looking at any more pictures of big browns after having to look at all of Big Daves NY brownie pictures when I down sized them and posted them up here.

Thats another one of my big unfilled GLs objectives catching a hog lake run brownie - 15 LBs plus.

I am not giving up yet though !! :D

PM Out

removed_by_request
04-18-2003, 12:01 PM
The bigger the better. We get so few, but when you get into them it makes for a memorable experience.

They don't plant them in Mi like they used to, our Wi. brothers do get a goodly plant of them each year.

Only managed one nice one not a hawg just nice, plenty of 3-5#er's sprinkled in.

Octavio Araujo
04-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Very hard to put that on a list, but here's my try:

1 - Peacock Bass in the Amazon
2 - Bonefish
3 - Snook
4 - Matrincha (Brycon) on fruit flies (dries)
5 - Baby Tarpon

Honorable mention: big bluefish, all jack species, tunoids, dorado, billfish, freshwater dorado, bicuda, payara, giant trahira, arawana, mojara on hoppers, etc...

Why is peacock bass the first in my list? Very hard to beat the sheer violence of a big peacock's surface attack or first runs... it's just great. :)

Hawkeye
04-21-2003, 10:31 PM
1. Baby Bluefin Tuna
2. False Albacore
3. Bonito
4. Striped Bass
5. Trout

OC
04-22-2003, 12:07 PM
I'm amazed that our midwestern fly fishermen did not have Muskie on their lists. Know two of the best steelhead fishermen in the NW who had enough of the crowds and moved to the mid west to fly fish for Muskie. They are having a ball looking for FF world record Muskie in lakes and rivers in an un named area of the upper midwest. They have been using spey rods on certain rivers and have said that it has worked well so far.

What's the deal PM and the rest of you midwest guys , are they worth fishing for with a fly rod? A truely native fish to the midwest
that must scare the wadders off of any respectable fly fisherman when that fish comes to the surface to take a streamer.

BobK
04-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Actually, the BEST fish to flyfish for is the one you happen to be casting for at the time.

BobK;)

pmflyfisher
04-22-2003, 07:16 PM
fish for musky. It too hard. See the my true story below on Northern WI musky which I cut and pasted from a post back in November 2001. This was the fish and fight of a life time !!

Actually fly fishing for muskys has just got popular in the last 5-7 years.

I have a friend who has a cabin on the Chippewa Flowage who I just talked today (I work with Him) and he says he knows where we can focus in on fly rod muskies up there its tempting .

PM Out

Pmflyfisher - Musky Story

Yes that feeling does occur at times. Mainly when I know there are steelhead or salmon in the pool and the conditions are perfect. Quite a feeling of anticipation when you believe the next cast or two will be a hook up.

But I have to say the most memorable feeling and event was a huge Musky I hooked up with for an hour on the Chippewa Flowage in Northern Wisconsin 6 years ago. I dropped off my boys at the campsite and went out by myself. Musky fishing is a lot like Steelhead fishing. The fish of a thousand casts they call it. I was dfifting over one of the most famous bars (shallow sand and weed humps in the middle of the lake) on the flowage which is named Petes Bar. Very famous place for Musky fishing. Many big musky have pulled off this location in the last century. The conditions were perfect in late June for big musky, windy, sunny day in the eighties, with a good chop on the water. Drifted over the bar 2 or 3 times skimming the tops of the weed beds with a medium size mepps spinner. Noticed on the fish finder this large object on one of the passes. Had fished there for several years and knew there were no major log jams or down trees. Looked like a big muskie, but of course I was not sure.

Well, I was bringing the Mepps through the bar and just new something was going to happen. The Mepps just stops. Nothing moves, and I am setting the hook with 40 pound test and a medium stiff musky rod. These rods are very stiff and similar to pool cues. Get the idea very strong. Well I ran the 16 foot lund over to where I now beleive the snag is. I get on top of it and start pumping convinced it is a tree stump. I did this for maybe a couple of minutes and was just about to cut the line and tie on another lure. Well the stump starts moving very slowly and taking line, maybe 20-30 yards. Remember in Jaws when the shark starts taking the bait very slowly, with the slow click, click of the drag ? Well that is what it was like. I still was not sure it was a fish. This went on about 5-6 times me chasing the fish by restarting the motor, getting over the fish and pumping to get it to move. It would just move slowly away after I got over it and started pumping. Actually I think it was moving back and forth from maybe two locations. This went on for about 40 minutes. A very tiring experience I can assure you. Was out there by myself with no boats to help me either. Knew the odds were way against me.

I was actually getting so tired that I almost cut the line and said the hell with it. I could tell it was starting to tire since I could raise it somewhat and got a quick look at its outline beneath the surface. It was a 5o to 60 inch fish and probably 50 pounds or more. Problem is the water in the flowage is stained from the peat swamps, like a tea color and visibility is only a couple of feet down.

Finally, I just said this is it, one last assault on this thing. I knew I was finally totally out of my league with a fish. I put all the pressure I could on it, I think it just said it is time to end this. She took off like a freight train, my reel was screaming, and then I saw the birds nest in my bait casting reel which had developed from all the chasing and pumping I put on to the fish. She was going hard and I could see the birds nest coming, I knew it was over, I just pointed my rod guides directly at the running fish and the 40 pound test popped like 2 pound test. I was beaten, my reel was trashed but what an experience.

That I am sure is going to be the most memorable fish story of my life. The world record musky was caught on the Chippewa Flowage very close to where I was fishing. That was caught back in the forties I think, was a 69 pound fish which is still the world record.

The experts said there was a huge musky hanging out at Petes Bar which people had hooked but no one could land.

Was this the fish I hooked, I don't know for sure, all I know it was the strongest fish I ever had on, and will be dreaming about the experience for the rest of my life.

Yes there were some witnessess which after I got back to the campground they acknowledged seeing me fighting the fish. They really could not have helped much though thinking about it in retrospect.

At that point in my Musky career I had been thinking about trying for them with a fly rod. After this experience I said forget the fly rod for this fish and never went further with that idea.

Perhaps a future encounter with a west coast 20 pound plus wild steelie on the fly will be the event which tops this one, I hope so

flyfisha1
04-23-2003, 08:38 AM
Assuming that I'm in Florida...
Crevalle Jack
Crevalle Jack
Crevalle Jack
Crevalle Jack
Crevalle Jack

... in Georgia...
anything that swims

... in New Jersey...
Pickerel
Stripers
Weakies
Blues
Flounder

SDHflyfisher
04-23-2003, 02:40 PM
world record muskie 69 pounds 11 ounce caught in the chippewa flowage i think i know the weight is right it was caught i think about 60 years ago haven't had a chnce to fish for them yet but i wil as soon as i get a large enough rod

pmflyfisher
04-23-2003, 02:46 PM
That world record was caught about a mile from where I was fishing on the flowage. It is known and proven world record musky water. When you fish your heart is pumping since you never know when the big one is going to come up and engulf your lure !!

PM Out

John Desjardins
04-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Hal wasn't there some dispute on the world record Muskie. I remember it being listed as being from the Thousand Islands region of the St Lawrence river years ago.

pmflyfisher
04-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Yes there was and after much historical research and legal proceedings it was awarded to the Louie Sprays Chippewa Flowage musky. The St Lawrance fish was found to be illegal. I have the full story in one of my old Musky Hunter magazines and can look up if you like.

Diehard musky fisherman take these things seriously.

There are still some big muskies up there and more overall due to catch and release practices started the last ten years and slot size limits on all of the blue ribbon musky lakes.

PM Out

John Desjardins
04-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks Hal, You don't need to look it up.

pmflyfisher
04-23-2003, 03:55 PM
John

FYI

http://www.sawyercountyhist.org/sprays_muskies.html

They shot the big muskys back then before they brought them inot their old wooden row boats. There was a good reason for that as you may imagine.

PM Out

OC
04-24-2003, 09:03 AM
PM
The Muskie sounds like a mystical fish. The local Native Americans must have a lot of folk lure, (Ha Ha) about it. Have watched a few of those fishing shows that are on TV when one sneaks home early from work and the Muskie shows are just dam scarry. I've fished all over the world and have yet to see a fish strike like a Muskie. Of course they show the strike in slow motion and that makes it look totally amazing. Maybe the peacock bass hits as hard I don't know. That was a great story you had with the Muskie, Hope you reconsider and not let such fish do you in agin in the future. Forget those delicate little steelhead go get that big guy before he gets you or someones kids or toy poodle.

BobK
04-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Several years ago, I owned a cabin for the family, and was relegated to lake fishing. I used the flyrod a lot for bass, and had a ball. But I used the ol' baitcaster for the big northerns. Yeah, I didn't fish for 'em that much, but I always did manage 3 to 6 fish over 40 inches every year. (Spring and fall were the best times of year.)

They are a lot of excitement to catch - but on a flyrod, I don't know how you could ever land 'em without playing 'em too long. And those teeth and what they do to leaders!

That being said, I think the same applies to muskies - only moreso!

BobK

Dble Haul
04-24-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by BobK

They are a lot of excitement to catch - but on a flyrod, I don't know how you could ever land 'em without playing 'em too long. And those teeth and what they do to leaders!

BobK

The answer is fairly easy....use heavy rods in 9 or 10 weight, and use leaders appropriate to the fish (heavy fluoro or wire). Pretty standard stuff for northerns.

pmflyfisher
04-24-2003, 10:55 AM
OC

That was the strongest DXX fish I ever hooked and I don't think I want to ever hook another one like it. It was liked being hooked to an Abrahams M-1 tank.

I really cannot describe it in words.

I only got one glimpse of it through the stained waters of the flowage.

And the large dark image was SCARY.

I had one musky hit right in front of the boat on a surface lure almost gave me a heart attack. You can see the fish follow in the flowage due to the stained water. He just came up and exploded on the surface lure and missed, but I have the lure withe the big teeth marks in it to this day.

I don't know about fly fishing for them

I have about $ 300 in musky lures to throw at them though.

PM Out

SDHflyfisher
04-24-2003, 02:03 PM
before i fly fished alot i fished for panfish with my dad and every once and a while we would get some small northerns on our ultralight gear and that was fun i wonder how good they would be on my #3 weight

flyfisha1
04-24-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Dble Haul
The answer is fairly easy....use heavy rods in 9 or 10 weight, and use leaders appropriate to the fish (heavy fluoro or wire). Pretty standard stuff for northerns.

I agree; a heavy mono or fluoro shock tippet, or better yet a steel leader, is called for when chasing pike family members. They certainly are a blast to fish for; many of them follow the fly or lure the entire length of the retrieve and smash it at the very end (and I do mean smash it, often right at the boat or at your feet ). I've lost many a fly and lure to those toothy fish, but the numbers I've landed far outweigh those lost and I wouldn't trade them for any other freshwater game species.
If you want to take a shot at them without the leader, tie a baitfish imitation on a long shank hook with the material tied directly at the bend... and hope that the fish is hooked in the lip if you want him on for more than a few brief moments. Most of the pickerel I caught would be very sporting on 5- and 6-wt. rods, with a few monsters suitable for 8-wt. or heavier. Adult pike and musky, as Dble Haul points out, would be more humanely fought on heavier tackle.