Different Weighted Flies for [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Different Weighted Flies for

The snook
04-15-2003, 05:30 PM
different weighted rods!! I know, dumb question but are there different weighted flies for the fly rod youíre throwing!! Like can you use the same sliders/streamers/poppers you use for an 8W and use the same on a 10W rod!

Dble Haul
04-15-2003, 05:55 PM
The simple answer is yes, but there needs to be some clarification.

Some larger patterns can be thrown with lighter weight rods, but a heavier and more appropriate rod can throw them much easier. In the long run, this will save you from physical fatigue and wear and tear on the rod itself.

I tend to go on the heavier side with my gear, not just to cast larger flies more effectively, but also to get the fish to hand in a reasonable amount of time for release.

striblue
04-16-2003, 07:00 AM
I once used a 12 wt from shore into the rips at South Monomoy... for one reason..under those conditions...just because I could cast it further, which gave me a longer swing into the zone we were fishing..not so much for the size of the fly...so there maybe reasons you use the rod with no consideration for fly size...

The snook
04-16-2003, 06:55 PM
OK thanks for the answer(s). So it looks as though I want to make sure when I do buy my flies I want a heavier fly.

Smcdermott
04-16-2003, 08:34 PM
I think you may have gotten the wrong impression from the previous posts. I don't think any of us would say that a heavier fly is a better one. It may be in certain situations but certainly not a rule. Generally, I choose a fly that will match what the fish are eating. Then I choose the rod that will allow me to get the fly to the fish given the wind and other factors involved. Generally heavier flies and wind require a heavier rod. Light flies and wind, lighter rods. Wind resistance of the flies is also a pretty big factor. For instance, if you are fishing in shallow calm water you might consider a light rod with slower action that will open your loop and create less splash. Windy day big flies, heavy rod. You won't have to worry about the splash because the surface is already rippled. Hope this was helpful.

Sean

The snook
04-17-2003, 06:09 PM
Ok got it now. Thanks

Nick
04-17-2003, 07:35 PM
The Snook,
Great picture...your original artwork?

Nick

FishHawk
04-18-2003, 05:01 AM
There are no dumb questions on this board. The members are most helpful and will not flame you. Most modern flyrods will handle a heavy fly if you adjust your casting stroke. You should take up flytying if you have not done so already. FishHawk:D

The snook
04-18-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks FishHawk for the no dumb questions and I know there isn't but sometimes I feel as if I should know the answer butttt :hehe: Anyway, thanks for the information and I know I'll have plenty more. I havenít started tying flies yet but thinking about it. At the college a guy teaches a course in fly tying but Heís a freshwater fly fisherman and Iím not sure I could apply what he would teach to saltwater flies ?????? Any comments on that.

Nick, I steal my art work from http://www.hotfish.com//images/sm_snook.jpg :rolleyes: