Flatwing Hackle Selcetion Help [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flatwing Hackle Selcetion Help

pmjasper
04-15-2003, 07:56 AM
Hi guys! Well I tried to contact Whiting about their hackles and have gotten no response. I am looking to obtain hackles for flatwing flies and have gotten different responses on what cut would be the best to use. The range of feathers I'm looking for is as follows:

1 1/2" L x 1/8" W up to hackles 6 1/2"L x 1/4"W

Now it appears that from a little research, saddle hackles are the way to go...but should I get rooster saddles or hen saddles. One website stated that rooster saddles have tighter, more fine feathers than hen hackles. Is this true? Striblue and all the other wonderful tyers here.....which Whiting or Metz hackles should I get?

P.S. The reason I state Whiting or Metz Hackle is that I can get a pretty good deal on either Whiting or Metz hackle through a particular dealer.

Thank you for your assistance.

DFix
04-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Go with rooster saddle; hen tends to be a little wilder and webbier.

CRegalis
04-16-2003, 12:32 PM
i've been contemplating the same question- and have no familiarity with the needed colors- are these materials available in relatively small quantities? I'll tie a few- but probably not more than a dozen tops.

striblue
04-16-2003, 03:26 PM
I like the roosters especially for the FB flies... stable and nice webbing... but the Saddles are also great for your regular deceivers and squid...but you should try tying a Deceiver with the roosters or mixing it with saddles and tye one of the Sedotti Slammers...

DFix
04-16-2003, 03:46 PM
Yes, John, you're right, when someone wants to tie a fly with larger profile and such, hen saddle is a very appropriate addition.

However, I think Jasper is talking about building smaller flatwings in a "industry accepted, inviolable, certifiable, approved, sacrosanct and blessed" style :rolleyes: :smokin:

Adrian
04-16-2003, 04:11 PM
I like the Metz rooster saddle patches for smaller flatwings - only problem is limited color selection.

I could do my own dyeing if I made the effort. I've managed to pick up some real bargains in Olives, Yellows and white / off-white which forms good foundation set. These capes are targetted at the dry fly guys and sometimes a sub-standard cape will find its way into the bargain bin.

pmjasper
04-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I think i ordered what I need.