Defogging sunglasses [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Defogging sunglasses

Dble Haul
04-14-2003, 04:24 PM
I know of some solutions sold in dive shops that prevent masks from fogging up....I was thinking about getting some for my fishing glasses. I had a few times in the fall when the damp weather clouded my lenses up pretty badly and made them nearly useless.

Before I get some of this anti-fogging liquid at the dive shop, are there any other products out there that I could try specifically for glass lenses? I'm sure there are some, but I'm just not aware of them.

Thanks.

:cool: (shades with foggy lenses)

DFix
04-14-2003, 04:35 PM
from my experience, most, if not all, anti-fog liquid was devised with SCUBA in mind, and masks have glass lenses, so...

you did say glass.

Mean Mr Mustard
04-14-2003, 09:14 PM
I recall products for MotoCross riders with foggy goggle problems. I believe the stuff came in various style applications and one of note was an impregnated cloth (which may have been packaged as single use, throw-away). This is all dated, it's been a while since I played with these loud boy toys...

mmm

Smcdermott
04-14-2003, 10:32 PM
Mark,
We use to use a product sold in auto parts stores called Rain X for our face masks in hockey. You would apply it and buff to make clear. Worked very well and with hot breath and cold air was probably more than you were dealing with. Not sure if there would be any negatives when used with suglasses. Probably worth a look as I would guess it would be cheaper than what you find in a dive shop.

Sean

Sprocket
04-15-2003, 08:26 AM
DH/Sean - I used to use ordinary dish soap for my hockey lens.

Same deal, drop some on buff it in & wipe of excess. It also helped when cleaning the lens. I haven't tried it on my shades though.

If you try it, watch out for the rain...

Is it time yet?

BigDave
04-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Any good ski shop will have a product called cat crap which is made specially for sunglasses and goggles. It's a cloth impregnated with the anti - fog stuff and it works like a charm. I have had one in my ski jacket for 3 years and it still works.