Experiment #4--Pheasant FB [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Experiment #4--Pheasant FB

striblue
04-13-2003, 12:56 PM
I am trying to figure out what to do with these extra pheasant feathers... Took some wing feathers and did this... maybe only needed one side feather.. the bottom is the usual rooster Cape but white bucktail inside with an extra clump to support the stomack....large white saltwater flashabou... giant umpqua hook.. maybe it's a 6/0..... now I am thinking about getting some Cardinal or blue jay wing feathers... I guess I will have to find those outside...It is the natural curve of these feathers that got me thinking.. the fly is sturdy... more for off shore I would think... the feather shafts are thick and strudy... will continue...Have no idea how it will fish.... If plugs catch fish this should as well????

striblue
04-13-2003, 08:17 PM
here is another one ..but only one feather and from the tail not the wing..

Dble Haul
04-13-2003, 09:06 PM
That first photo has a very nice butterfish profile. I think you're right about using it offshore.

Of course, now you have to fish it and find out. ;)

Octavio Araujo
04-13-2003, 09:48 PM
I like the first one.... looks like some of the foray fish our peacock bass go after in the Amazon... nice job!

striblue
04-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Octavio... welcome to the Forum... Love that peacock bass your holding... Love to hear more about what fishing is like down there...

Octavio Araujo
04-14-2003, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome striblue, now about the peacock bass... oh they are great, I'm counting the minutes for next season already.
Regarding flies, they like big ones, often as big as 12 inches. Large profile streamers are great, but noisy poppers worked fast are more fun because of the explosive attacks.
That baitfish you made looks a lot some some small round profile cichlids which they feed on. I will try to get a few pics from the foray fish there as I think you will be able to come up with a perfect imitation.

Best regards :D

joe wojtan
04-14-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by striblue
here is another one ..but only one feather and from the tail not the wing..

My choice would be the one feather fly. a brilliant piece of work.
Now if only you could post the tying instructions, or better still send me one for my collection of flies tied by interesting tiers.
Either way, but prefer the fly.
Joe

striblue
04-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Joe it is tyed just like the other FB flies. I will do a step by step later though.