How much backing and fly line [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: How much backing and fly line

The snook
04-12-2003, 11:58 AM
I got my Scientific Angler System 2, 10/11 reel today. My dilemma is how much backing do I really want to put on it and how much fly line. The specs. call for 220 yds of 20# backing. OK, so if I put that amount of backing, then how much line, 90 to 100 Ft. of 10W ?? Iím going to use the SA ultra 4 boonfish taper.

And do I want to use a 20# leader about 8 ft as a perminent butt section and then about a 4 ft tippet of say 14# ?

Paxton
04-12-2003, 03:34 PM
One person's thoughts....200 yds. of 20 # backing should be more than enough.....and obviously, all of the fly line. You want around a quarter inch of space between body of reel and spool when loaded.....this gives room for uneven winding when reeling in a fish or loose wrap.
I use a 10 ft leader made up of 3 sections....regular mono...2 1/2 ft of 33lb, 2 1/2 ft of 22 lb and 5 ft of tippet.
This yr did an all flourocarbon leader....44lb/32lb and 16lb.
Everyone has their own formulas, so wait for opinions of the more experienced.
Most I've talked to use 30lb backing....but if I ever get a fish that takes out my 200 yds of backing and it snaps, I will just say, thank you God for the thrill.
Oh.....make sure your tippit is less# than backing or else....take out your Visa card:hehe:

The snook
04-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Paxton, thanks for the info. For my butt and the tippet I'm going to use fluro.

Eddie
04-12-2003, 05:20 PM
I would do it backwards. Tape your leader and fly line to the arbor and wind the fly line on. Then wind on the backing over it untill the reel is filled to capacity. Do not over fill. Now you have the perfect amount of backing. Take it all off and put it on in the right order. Perfect every time. It helps to do it at a shop with a line winder and some empty bulk spools. No sense it worrying about the exact yardage.

The snook
04-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Never thought about that Eddy but that's a great idea. Thanks