Rare Sea Cow discovered in the Bahamas [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rare Sea Cow discovered in the Bahamas

flyfisha1
04-08-2003, 10:55 AM
This incredible footage shows a sea cow interacting with a common bottlenose dolphin off the coast of the Bahamas; these bovines of the sea were once thought to be extinct, but this photo shows irrefutable proof that sea cows are indeed on the comeback...

pmflyfisher
04-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Wow, never knew that, have not fished saltwater in a long time how things change !

LOL

PM Out

John Desjardins
04-08-2003, 11:13 AM
Chris I'm not sure of your taxonomic id. It looks like a Sea Steer to me. A Sea Cow would have udders.

steelheadmike
04-08-2003, 11:17 AM
We poled the flats off Andros for 3 days looking for a few that may sneak up on the flats during the flood tide. The guide kept a constant chum slick of hay but to no avail. This year I tied up a dozen flies tied exclusively with Swiss Straw. Lets hope they return in numbers this year.

striblue
04-08-2003, 11:25 AM
What Fly???? What Fly????? The "straw Fly"?

flyfisha1
04-08-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by striblue
What Fly???? What Fly????? The "straw Fly"?

Well, certainly not a Horse Fly! John D, I think you may be correct, upon closer inspection this does indeed appear to be a male of the species, however in keeping with the common name of the beast I believe it would still be called a sea cow, but simply a "bull", and I dare say that this picture is full of it! :chuckle:

craig
04-08-2003, 08:05 PM
Its been a long day.

Slinger
04-09-2003, 12:48 AM
If I get me one of those, the hell with catch and release. It`ll be T-bones and Porterhouses! Question, when alongside the boat do you lip or tail them?
Slinger

John Desjardins
04-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Slinger
If I get me one of those, the hell with catch and release. It`ll be T-bones and Porterhouses! Question, when alongside the boat do you lip or tail them?
Slinger

Hogtie ;)

steelheadmike
04-09-2003, 11:18 AM
I think it has just been a long long winter and this is the early stages of Cabin Fever.

I havent been out in 5 days now due to the crappy weather and I am starting to feel it. I havent tied a fly in a month. Lady troubles got me beat down. The sun hasnt been out for more than a day in over 2 weeks. Wish I had a Cat so I could kick it when I come home.

flyfisha1
04-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Slinger
Slinger

Now now, remember that these creatures are "marine mammals", and as such may not be molested by any humans... well, not so far as the Marine Mammal Protection Act is concerned. If you do decide to pursue a sea cow, I've heard that they come up close to shore at night to graze on turf algae growing in the surf zone; just run up and tip the cow over and you've got it. Or, for more sport, a 12-wt. with a lettuce pattern may work. During the day, a herd of sea cows can be found over grass beds, but they spook very easily, particularly if anyone in the boat is eating a roast beef sandwich, so prepare your lunch with this in mind.

steelheadmike
04-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Try a size 30/0 Hay Bail fly and a slow retrieve along the edge of a grass flat.

Question do you tag them or brand them before they are released??

John Desjardins
04-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Try a chum slick of grain.

No tagging is required. Most sea cows wear a fashionable earing stamped with their id. It helps them to avoid the free range ruffians.

flyfisha1
04-09-2003, 12:19 PM
But what's the legal limit per outing, and size limits? You may find them running in year classes, with the young (or perhaps more aptly "sea veal") in one herd, and the adults in another. John - good point about the free range specimens; I've heard reports of them attempting to gore a boat. Very risky...

John Desjardins
04-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Limit: Since these are thought to be extinct, they probably fall under the endangered species act and are strictly off limits.

FrenchCreek
04-09-2003, 07:13 PM
As a further environmental concern, is there any danger of hybridization of this rare species?

flyfisha1
04-09-2003, 07:25 PM
Scientists are unsure on that point, however they have found a reliable means of tracking the herd as it roams the coastal and open seas: tell-tale trails of sea cow pies! :hehe:

flyfisha1
04-09-2003, 07:28 PM
Actually, on a serious note, how many people were aware that dolphins and other cetaceans are thought to have evolved from prehistoric animals that resembled hoofed-wolves? This is (very likely) truth, which as we all know is often stranger than fiction! Perhaps the relationship between cows and dolphins is closer than we think...