Challenge" to wanna be "Bug Police" [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Challenge" to wanna be "Bug Police"

kush
04-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Here is my flybox as it sat after last trout season. Some of these flies have been banned from from many British trout lakes as "not flies".

sean
04-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Nice! So Kush how do you fish those non-fly boobies? They look interesting and I am thinking about giving a try down here...

-sean

BigDave
04-07-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm interested in boobies as well :D

Seriously though - what is the best way to fish these flies? Do you use a radical sinking line or just an intermediate? From my limited understanding, the appeal is that the fly darts downward when stripped and then floats back up...is this so?

John Desjardins
04-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Kush, thats after a season of fishing. I'm ashamed of mine then. :chuckle:

Dave, While I haven't fished with boobies, one technique I've used with Turcks tarrantulas & unweighted mudddlers is to use a sinker on the leader to get them subsurface. In slower water stripping in the line up raises the fly in the water column then stopping causes the fly to sink. It drove a number of LM Bass to think the fly was escaping from them. :D

H'mm you could try that with a combo of cone headed & booby buggers and dispense with the weight on the line.

kush
04-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Stripping boobies has been a main interest of mine since I was about 12. However, it wasn't until much later in life that I actually learned how it was done :hehe:

The way I fish these is on a Hi-D full sinker and a 3' leader. The technique is to let the line sink right to the bottom, the boobie will suspend 3' up. Then make a series of pulls, which causes the boobie to dive to the bottom, then stop. The fly now wiggles upwards off the bottom - deadly! To facilitate the wiggle that the boobs and the marabou make I tie the fly on with the aforementioned Rapala loop knot.

The takes occur during all stages of the retrieve, I've probably got more on the retrieve, but lots of takes are on the float up. I've also had a fair number of fish nail the suspended fly while I left it sitting as I retreived a chironomid on the other rod!

I first used these with black boobies, I thought it more "natural", however, the fish seemed to like the yellow boobies better. Hmmm ... maybe that explains why Pamela Anderson still looks good to me :smokin:

kush
04-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Actually to see the non slip loop knot I use (Rapala Knot) you need to check the Classic Atlantic Salmon board under the Knots thread. I have a sketch I drew posted but a little further down the thread Smolt has posted a link to Rapala's site which has a way better diagram.

striblue
04-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Can I get some boobies too?:eyecrazy:

BigDave
04-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Thanks Kush,

You are clearly a man who knows how to manipulate a booby.

:hehe:

John Desjardins
04-07-2003, 01:35 PM
Boy I've got to watch this thread. I may be called upon to moderate it. ;) :whoa:

Striblue, ah heck if I answered you I'd have to moderate myself. :devil:

Adrian
04-19-2003, 03:38 PM
How did I miss this? Ah yes, I was in Hawaii :D Nice fly box Tyler!

John, don't worry, I will bring boobies to CAC this summer. We could try them on the flats on HiD lines for those tight lipped Stripers in August. :devil: