Flyfishing travel music [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flyfishing travel music

Dble Haul
04-06-2003, 03:39 AM
Okay folks.....when you're on your way to a flyfishing location, what music to you listen to during your drive? Is it classic rock that revs you up for the impending fishing time, or the lulls and crescendos of classical that help to pass the time getting there? Or something else?

To me, the travel to the location is part of the entire experience. I'm usually travelling with a companion, so conversation takes the place of music. But when I'm alone I'll listen to anything from techno to funk to retro. I guess it depends on my mood.

How about you? :cool:

juro
04-06-2003, 06:09 AM
I like to arrive pre-dawn to watch the big orange sun break over the atlantic to U2 "Streets with no name". But I'm not picky or anything ;)

Nick
04-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Anything Jimmy Buffett is my summer staple...man that guy has THE LIFE!!!

flyfisha1
04-06-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by juro
I like to arrive pre-dawn to watch the big orange sun break over the atlantic to U2 "Streets with no name". But I'm not picky or anything ;)

Yes, U2 is nearly always what I'm listening to, but the song varies depending upon my mood.

FredA
04-06-2003, 09:45 AM
Dejavu all over again... Allman Brothers or 80's heavey metal bagpipe bands (keeps you wide eyed and bushy tailed), copious amounts of coffee and chain smoke ciggs. Arrive at the beach wired, hands a trembling, knees a knockin and lookin for a bush to stand behind.

Quentin
04-06-2003, 10:22 AM
My tape player sounds like crap so I generally rely on the radio, which means that I have to take whatever I can get. Usually its WAAF when I head east and WCCC when I head south. They usually stay with me until I get close to the Cape or RI, and then I have to scan for some decent tunes. I'll take anything in the classic rock or hard rock category.

BTW, if I'm still listening to the radio when I see the sun rise I kick myself in the a-- for not getting up early enough! :devil:

Q

Smcdermott
04-06-2003, 10:53 AM
It is a pretty good bet that I will have a little Dave Mathews going.

Sean

John Desjardins
04-06-2003, 11:56 AM
I guess I'm a real oddball it normally ends up being the BBC news or Leftys casting tape. Boy does my wife hate that tape. :hehe:

doogue
04-06-2003, 01:03 PM
Good question.

I second Dave Matthews. But, when headed to the coast I will only listen to the Live at Luther College CD.

I will never forget listening to that CD a few years ago as I drove home from Singing Beach on a warm night in early October. Jeff B and I had spent the night fishing at Singing Beach and catching tons and tons of schoolies. There was a good group of SWFF folks on the beach that night and some even whipped up a good bonfire at around 11 PM. We fished until at least 2 AM and then when Jeff left I wound up cranking that CD and driving around to the other area beaches in search of bigger fish.

I drove home around 3 AM, stereo blaring, windows open all the way and me with a feeling of true content. All of this despite a mad case of striper thumb and some wet long undies from a rogue wave that breached my waders as I was lipping a schoolie.

So, that CD has some good striper mojo for me.

Other than that CD I am partial to Ben Harper's Live from Mars and if my Dad is with me then we listen to some Bob Marley from time to time.

-Mike

DEERHAAWK
04-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Good morning,
NPR and Pat Metheny, some Greshwin thrown in for good measure, Copeland, Poco, Joni Mitchell
Deerhawk

fredaevans
04-06-2003, 02:13 PM
If it's a tape (no CD changer in the car), it will be Sarah Brightman, Andrea Bocelli (their duet of "Time to say goodby" makes the hair stand up on my arms) or Annie Lennox.

For a total change of pace it would be Moody Blues, Chris Isaak or Enya.

fae

flyfisha1
04-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Ay Caramba, we have some varied tastes on this forum! I must admit that yesterday on the way to the river I was listening to Weird Al Yankovic... what can I say? :hehe:
... and this is from someone that listens to classical and jazz while tying.

Smolt
04-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Early Rolling Stones. If it had to be just one of their albums, as opposed to an anthology, it would be "Let It Bleed". I also like Bob Seeger's "Night Moves"; Beethoven's Ninth Symphony; Orff's "Carmina Burana"; Bonnie Raitt's "Nick of Time"; and Paul Simon's "Graceland". "Graceland is great driving music.

JimW
04-06-2003, 04:58 PM
Cool topic.

My tastes in music vary widely. It could be Vivaldi's 4 seasons (Spring of course). It may very well be a little Zep, VH or Dead. Like Q, I sometimes rely on the radio in which case 104.7 usually does the trick on the ride to Chatham, on the way back whatever will keep me awake.

Nick
04-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by fredaevans
If it's a tape (no CD changer in the car), it will be Sarah Brightman, Andrea Bocelli (their duet of "Time to say goodby" makes the hair stand up on my arms) or Annie Lennox.

For a total change of pace it would be Moody Blues, Chris Isaak or Enya.

fae

Fred, some great choices...that duet is amazing!

removed_by_request
04-06-2003, 07:04 PM
Weather Report, or Miles Davis' Bitches Brew(especially while driving to a spot before the sun rises) Herbie Hancock Headhunters is also a good choice. Toss in Dark Side of the Moon by PF and you have some good driving music.

bcasey
04-06-2003, 07:59 PM
James Montgomery Blues Band,
...And that Train Goes By, and the whole house starts shakin, it's a powerful train, yes it's a powerful train....
and if I could ever find a CD from Duke And The Drivers, I'd pay handsomely, both these groups were local while I was in my formative years and the beat still goes on in my head.

NrthFrk16
04-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Any sort of good Indie Rock...

I also enjoy The Clash, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Elvis Costello...

...and when I am in the mood, teeny-bopper pop-punk is enjoyable as well.

FredA
04-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Last time I saw the James Montgomry Blues Band had to be 25 years ago at a place on White Horse Beach. The White Sands I think the name of the place was. Great band. The venue was a "biker bar" right out of the flicks. Not that I didn't frequent such venues prior to getting married but this was a year or two into my next life. Case, you hang out at those kinds of places in an earlier life?

Oddly, I was thinking about my weekend music/rituals over the years on my way back from the convenience store this morning prior to seeing this thread. Used to always start my day with Robert J. (the 200 lb canary) in the morning before he passed on. First couple of hours were my favorite with music from the Baroque thru early classical periods.

I bought my wife the Bocelli (sp) cd for xmas a couple of years ago. That one piece can tug at the heart given the right timing.

Hawkeye
04-07-2003, 07:09 AM
I guess I am an oddball. I love listening to "conspiracy radio" - what used to be Art Bell's show. It gives me some great material to come up with excuses for my skunkings.

Lefty
04-07-2003, 07:54 AM
Irish fiddle tunes or bluegrass! Hey Case good one on the James Montgomerey!
(oft times I listen to Coast to Coast paranormal talk radio with Art Bell, one wants to be informed when the UFOs deliver us back Elvis).

Lefty

ashley
04-07-2003, 12:47 PM
The way I listen to the radio so I hear of delays in advance and can take detours to by by pass the and save valuable fly time.
The way back which is usually late at night Ozzy,Motley crue or Cinderella played full blast to keep me awake.

Just me
04-07-2003, 01:49 PM
You can sure tell when fish sucks by what you read here. I listen to what ever my radio will pick up in the mountains or if nothing good is on I will listen to Creedence Clearwater Revival. Nothing stirs the soul like their music.

Jim

SDHflyfisher
04-07-2003, 05:56 PM
what am i the only one here that listens to country if i am with my dad montgomery gentry or charlie daniels or even travis tritt
or if i am with my uncle metal and beatles

Chris
04-07-2003, 08:05 PM
I think I want to do a road trip with Deerhawk.
Though I'd add Dire Straights 1st lp, And one of my staples on the road Little Feat " Waiting for Columbus".
And Mike I'd cruise the mountains with DMB any day.

Bob Pauli
04-08-2003, 12:00 AM
Come on guys. Good spey casters don't rush their strokes!

The #1 song has to be: SLOWHAND by Sister Sledge or the Pointer Sisters [or ? help me out guys].

All spey rods, being female, want a lover with a slow hand, an easy touch, a caster who doesn't come and go in a heated rush, someone who will understand that when it comes to love it takes a slow hand.

dewey
04-08-2003, 08:11 AM
anyone else into a little pre-fishing hip-hop? Seems incongruous, but it works. De La Soul, Wu Tang, A tribe Called Quest.

OR - Stones' Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main Street ("Tumbling Dice" seems to roll just like ocean swells do). Then - Talking Heads.

BigDave
04-08-2003, 08:40 AM
I'm usually cranking one of the following while putting waders on at the truck:

Jimi
Gov't Mule
Allmans
Tragically Hip
GNR
Cult

Fred A - I'm with you. Early morning sorties to western mass usually involve one hand on the wheel and the other wrapped around a LARGE cofee and a cigarette. Windows down and music blasting to keep me awake :devil:

bcasey
04-08-2003, 07:07 PM
Fred, I still hang at those places! Actually James still playes in Falmouth a couple times a year at what used to be called the Century Irish Pub near the center of town. Usually brings on memories of one hell of a hangover, at least I think they're memories!:confused:

SDHflyfisher
04-08-2003, 07:11 PM
don't tell i am the only one that listens to country

Tod D
04-08-2003, 07:43 PM
3 am, haulin' south down Rt 3 to points over the ditch? - Nothing like some Pearl Jam or Limp Bizkit to get the blood flowing!:whoa:

Failing that, it's anything by Elvis Costello, REM or the Replacements. Of course, there's always Allman Bros Eat a Peach or any of Dick's Picks for the Dead...

extmtbiker
04-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Well when I am on the way to the "fishinhole" I eather listen to U2, or Moby, both are great for on the open road!

DEERHAAWK
04-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Chris-
You can bring along Little Feat, and Dire#1, but I will have to raise you, a little POCO, You better think twice!
Big Dave- Man I almost fogot my Jimi, Electric Lady Land, have you ever been?
Deerhawk

DEERHAAWK
04-10-2003, 10:11 PM
When I said POCO, I meant Genesis/Peter Gabriel days, Trick of the Tail, and yes I have had a little to much.......computer time
Deerhawk

Octavio Araujo
04-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Hi there, first time here... great forum!

I like to listen to some Pearl Jam, specially the songs Oceans, Release (what else?), Deep, Alive, and all others from their first album.

I also like Men At Work, Jimmy Cliff, Bob Marley, Metallica, Bone Thugz, Bad Religion, Arraya, People Under the Stairs, Social Distortion, The Expendables and Legião Urbana (a brazilian band)

Now if you ask me what I like to listen at home, then its another story...

Mean Mr Mustard
04-11-2003, 10:43 AM
If it's too early for a sane person to be out then I go with Jimi - keeps me awake.

Normal mornings it would be anything by George Harrison - to find the inner ME.

If I heading to Fortson for some combat fishing then it's TUSK by Fleetwood Mac, over and over, again, and VERY loud - to release the inner ME.

On the way home it's Bob Marley and the Wailers when the fishing was great or, anything Motown (especially the Four Tops and Smokey Robinson) for those other times.

And if it's really late, the early Stones.

mmm

fredaevans
04-11-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Bob Pauli
Come on guys. Good spey casters don't rush their strokes!

The #1 song has to be: SLOWHAND by Sister Sledge or the Pointer Sisters [or ? help me out guys].

All spey rods, being female, want a lover with a slow hand, an easy touch, a caster who doesn't come and go in a heated rush, someone who will understand that when it comes to love it takes a slow hand.

Bob, I read this and thought Hal was trying to bring up that 'shortie' spey rod thing again.
:devil:
fae

sinktip
04-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Mean Mr. Mustard,

You rock my friend! Next time we get together, we need to talk music!

Hmm, it depends on when and where. Lately I have been doing the 2 hour 4:00 AM trip up to the Sauk a lot so have been mixing and matching styles to keep things interesting. Recent listens have included:

Bob D. - Blonde on Blonde
Steve Earle - Essential Earle
Elvis C. - This Year's Model
AC/DC - Powerage
Bruce - Live in New York
Mary Lou Lord - Martian Saints
Bob Marley - Exodus

Hawkeye
04-11-2003, 01:36 PM
It's lookin like you just might be the only one SDH though I can seriously enjoy some bluesy Bonnie Rait (sp?)

BigDave
04-11-2003, 01:43 PM
SDH - I'm with you on the C&W. I'm a big fan of Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, and Willie Nelson. Saw Willie at Lowell Memorial Auditorium last fall. The highlight of the show was when an enthusiastic young lady in the audience threw her bra onstage - he stepped away from the microphone, walked down to pick it up, hung it on the head of his guitar and kept playing.

Classic Willie :devil:

KerryS
04-11-2003, 02:15 PM
How about comin' home? Last night after being skunked on the Sauk. Santana's Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen was playing on the radio. Made me think of the steelhead I was after.

Moonlight
04-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Nora Jones, K.D.Lang(Shadow Land),Led Zepplin,War(not the one in Iraq),and older model Santana......lately these have been on my CD in the truck. Some of the lyrics in Nora Jones bluesy laments are new and humorous.

MarkDoogue
04-11-2003, 07:06 PM
The Bob Marley boxed set will set you free. "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain........"

One of my favorite compilations of all time is the Ray Charles Country Music CD set. His rendition of Ring of Fire is what it's all about.

fredaevans
04-12-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by KerryS
How about comin' home? Last night after being skunked on the Sauk. Santana's Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen was playing on the radio. Made me think of the steelhead I was after.

Moved out of Washington in mid 1984 so fished these waters Pre-Post Bolt and netting of the rivers. Getting 'skunked' was a pretty rare thing pre-Bolt. Now I gather it's the norm. Was interesting to see the punch card statistics from the year before/year after this went into play. Punch card data dropped by a full 90%!

I'm sure there were a lot of fish that didn't get punched out but even so the drop in sportsman catch was staggering.
:mad:

fae

Mean Mr Mustard
04-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Gee, thanks Sinktip!:o

Okay I'll talk music so long as we reserve some time for me and OC to talk Sirens.:devil:

Back in the early '70s I used to listen to the 8-track recording of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" album and found two gems (instrumentals) for the long road - "I Remember Jeep" and "Out of the Blue". They were found along with two more such pieces on the second tape; now found on the second CD - The absolute best for putting miles behind you.

mmm

Whiskey Dick
04-12-2003, 10:55 PM
Dire Straits, Eric Clapton, Steve Ray Vaughn, those three get me from central oregon over the mountains, Late at night on the way home Pink Floyd, the Clash, the Cure,The Pretenders,Queen,T-Rex and yes the Beetles and the Stones. :smokin:

seuss
04-13-2003, 02:33 PM
U2, Sting, DMB, Joel, Monheit, Morse (solo), McLachlan, Shine (soundtrack), CSN, various choir music (weird, I know)...and if the time is right...a flip over to a.m. radio, NPR, and CarTalk for a few laughs with Click & Clack.

i'm all over the place. :confused: