FB PinFish [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: FB PinFish

striblue
04-05-2003, 07:24 PM
Here is a Pin fish fly... not to be used around here but shouth of say..Maryland.. This is FB style with Pearl Angel hair inside and the usual front spreader. I then shingled Rooster..olive at the bottom, then light blue, then yellow, then light blue, then yellow, and so on. untill I finished the top with olive and placed a painted dot. and small gold rimmed eyes.

flyfisha1
04-05-2003, 07:32 PM
I could use a few of them in Florida! Pinfish are everywhere down there, and I've taken quite a few species on their imitations, from jacks to spanish mackerel to 'cuda.

striblue
04-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Chris, I posted it on "Floridasportman" site to get comments about improving it since I have not really seen the real thing..we will see... any comment you have would help...should I use thinner hackles to simmulate the lines?????Are the colors Right????

flyfisha1
04-06-2003, 09:30 AM
John, I attached an "artist's rendition" below; it's pretty accurate. Overall the fish takes on a turquoise to lavender hue with very thin yellow stripes running from the nose to the tail. Your pattern is pretty close, but as you suggest, the yellow hackles might be a bit thinner. Out of the water, the darker color appears to be deep lavender, but diving with them of course makes them look totally different, much more of a pale brown, to match the sand and silt bottoms they typically live over. Also, the faint vertical barring is what alerts me to their presence; when it moves, I see them. If not for this barring, I probably wouldn't know that they were there. Still, I think you're certainly on the right track. I need to learn to tie these FB flies of yours!
I may try to tie something up in that color scheme in a hy-tie today (I specifically picked up Polar Fibre in yellow and lavender at the local Orvis store a couple of weeks ago to do one of these). Either way, I think your fly would be very productive, particularly in the Keys where pinfish are literally everywhere and range in size from little 2" guys (less seen) to 4"+ that are often used for tarpon, sharks, and the occasional 'cuda.

striblue
04-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Thanks Chris ,that is great information and I will give those facts some thought and try to improve the fly. I will also look into the polar fiber applications because it maybe better than capes for distiguishing stripes... I will think it though.

flyfisha1
04-06-2003, 03:08 PM
In retrospect, I wish I would have bought some teal polar fiber to top this off, but I ended up using pearl flash, instead. No vertical marking; I'd use a light gray Pantone if I were going to do it, just for the subtlety of it. This is white, then three alternating layers of yellow and lavender, then the flash. 3/8" eyes. Overall size of this one is 3.5", a little smaller than the ones I see the most of in the Keys.