Fly Fishing Forum banner

Thompson A - Saves the Day !

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
My Thompson A which I bought in 1980 from Kaufmans Streamborn with their steelhead fly tying kit has been in retirement since 1984 when I bought the Renzetti Traveller. Its been in a garage cabinet since 1984.

Well I must have super glued the Renzetti jaws together last weekend, could get it to separate. Put it in hot water and cleaned it out but it still will not seperate much.

Got the Thompson A out, sprayed some silicone on it and cleaned it a little, not much.

Just tied 5 flies with her, shes back in action for a while until I get a replacement jaws for the Traveller.

I think the Thompson cost $15 or $ 20 in 1980 and she is still ticking after thousand + flies, who knows how many.

:D

PM Out

#3 ·
I had it apart yesterday, cleaned it, can't get the top of the jaw to open, looks like it is time to buy the cam action jaws.:(

Tied a lot of flies on both Thompson A and Renzetti Traveller but miss the rotary function already on the Traveller.

Must be super glue down in the spring in the top of the cam action jaw, who knows.

PM Out

#4 · (Edited)
I don't own Renzetti, so this next q&a applies - are the jaws metal? (a presumably stupid question). If so, heat softens cured epoxy, and a hair dryer on Hot or a session with a small propane torch will help. Shouldn't bother a spring tension by doing so. Someone mentioned an(<- edited for spelling stupidity) o-ring in the mix - replaceable???

#5 ·
Hal, I can understand the feeling of loss of using the rotary vice. Until I loaned mine out earlier this winter I didn't realize how much I used it.

It sounds like either you've gooped up the spring between the jaws that pushes them apart or its broken. why not call renzetti and see if its replacable. That size spring should be under a dollar.

Dave, the o-ring is around the outside of the jaws, very easy to remove.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.