Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bachelor Weekend!

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Wife and kids going with grammy and grandpa for the weekend, I will be ball and chained to the terminal to move the content ahead to Vol 2. I guess I won't bother putting up the wild and crazy bulletin board for now, the content I have piled up and backlogged is more important for this weekend.

! Top-gun fly tier coming to the forum

! New Chronicles article submitted by one of our members, hope we can get it put up over the weekend.

! Tons of outfitters coming onto the forum

! Way cool ideas with resort industry brewing

! Fly swap (SWFF) images scanned for posting

! Blanks for two-handed rods nearly in the mail

! New experts page format and edition (finally)

! FF trivia quiz program with member entered questions (in work)

A weekend is NOT ENOUGH!

I welcome people to pursue their goals of writing, selling flies or any cool stuff they make on Public Market, learning eCommerce, or organizing events like cleanups or claves. If nothing else, this place should be a place where the members pull together to make good things happen for themselves. It's my hope that we can be like a prestigious university - when a member succeeds we succeed; and they will always be to some degree "alumni". I'd like to make this a place people would be proud to have been a member of someday.

On the biz side, this is a full eCommerce-capable site under the covers with shopping cart, SSL, etc. I've got some strategies there but of course like everything else these things will take time. I really like the Mercata buy-down model... the more people jump on a product, the cheaper it gets! Will probably start with really cool stuff that is not the easiest to find, like those drop-in stripping basket cones or some legal polar bear. Maybe we will offer super member discounts on goods where the proceeds support the site's growth and operating costs.

Anyway, it's a hard thing to move forward by myself and anyone who has an interest (self-interest or otherwise) should feel empowered to do something proactive in the forum. Make a proposal.

Juro

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, started out the infamous weekend by having my truck die. I then kept a promise to a 12 yr old boy up the street to teach him how to tie flies. Then, spent half the day over at my mother's Boston home before she leaves again for Tokyo where she'll work for the next year in the medical field. Finally got around to the website.

Started by taking inventory of all the stuff I need to put up... mountains of it! It's a labor of love. There are such incredible people and places in this sport. After reviewing the materials with ten times the interest I've had for any ESPN fishing program, I got started.

Then the dogs started to bark and I looked out the window - it was my dear wife and kids, who decided they would come home early on Sunday to beat traffic, have a family dinner and let the kids do their homework. Who could complain.

What I did get done was exciting and very interesting because of the contributions coming in from members. I think their stories and images will impress you. New stuff will be posted through the week.

The guild is getting a lot of interest and I look forward to building this up with all of you who are interested. I am starting a guild members discussion board and will email logins and passwords to those who join.

I hope to make a bigtime announcement about the rod program over the next day or two.

I hope to plug in some of the commerce stuff to offer unique products at discounted prices to raise money to keep the site going. The uses of any earned money will be for things like payment to professional editors for the guild or programmers to build the wild and crazy things that big business sites have. Legal issues come with growth, and we all know what that costs.

All in all the goal is to build the site step by step without shooting itself in the foot and gain momentum by providing benefits to members while sharing in success. A co-op of sorts.

Talk soon,
Juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.