striped bass hearings [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: striped bass hearings

jeffg
04-04-2003, 11:00 AM
http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dmf/MarineFisheriesNotices/PubHearings_April2003_031103.pdf

Hey all,
It's been a little while since i've been around but figured you would want to know...

It's time for state striped bass hearings again. AS I just lost a rather lengthy post going into great detail, I will try to make this a little more to the point. After Amendment 6 got approved int eh fall, ASMFC approved various proposed changes to teh rec. and comm. regs for each state, and these meetings are to solicit public input as to whether the state of Mass should now implement what was approved by ASMFC. On teh table for the rec. regs is going to two fish a day with size limits somehwat up in the air. Possibilities include 2 at 28", 1 at 28" and one over 40", possibly 2 over 34", and possibly status quo.

There will be a ton of pressure to go to two fish since almost all other states fish at two (I know, great circular logic). If you have a strong opinion, I urge you to attend and be heard. When I have more time I will elucidate the details if necessary for those not familiar with "the system" of MA fishery management.........

Gotta run.

jeff

Roop
04-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks for posting this Jeff.

The last one I attended was 2 years ago and there was a ton of turnout. I plan on making it to the Braintree meeting in case anyone wants to meet up.

Roop

juro
04-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Thanks Jeff, appreciate the notice. I hope to attend the Annisquam hearing.

But first we should discuss the objectives:

- I have a very different opinion than the majority since I have kept only a few stripers in the last 20 years or more despite releasing countless lip-hooked legal fly-caught fish. My individual position would not be necessarily the right position to defend so it warrants discussion with more views so I can form a position on this matter with a broader scope of influence

- although they state the objectives of these hearings, they do not list the reasons for these proposals. Is it because we have too many fish and need to kill more? Is it because the commercial fishing industry is important enough to the general economy such that we should sacrifice more breeder fish on behalf of increased commerce in this niche industry? Who is the benefactor, and why is it wise to go in this direction as a whole?

- How do sportsmen feel about the doubling of the kill limits? Is this just a concession to rationalize the commercial interests?

- Who is pushing this agenda?

If my voice really mattered and I was put on the spot to provide an opinion here and now I would say (a) leave well enough alone or (b) reduce the kill even further because the successful sport fishery contributes far more $$ to the economy than an increased kill fishery. But once again, my personal views count for little - what does the general readership say?

Lefty
04-04-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm with "B" with the limit >32" at least

jimS
04-04-2003, 04:33 PM
My first reaction was a parity with the commercials, one @ 34 inches. However, published info suggests that there is an age class crisis in this fishery, i.e. breeders 12 plus years old are in short supply. Mass might consider setting an example for the other states and leave it status quo, one @ 28 inches.

Simms