Forum for Book Reviews? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Forum for Book Reviews?

flyfisha1
04-04-2003, 06:52 AM
The thread on "Your Favorite Fly Tying Book" got quite a good response, I was happy to see; it's apparent that many of us have pretty sizeable libraries of fly fishing-related literature. Would anyone like to see a forum for book reviews on any bound fly fishing-related material? I think I have something like 30 books on the subject, everything from novels and accounts to "how to fish at..." to fly tying, etc., and I'm sure that this number pales in comparison to what some of our other members have. It would be beneficial, not only to newcomers, but also to the more experienced members, to mention and review one of your favorite books every so often, see what others have gained from reading the same book, and so on. The review need not be in-depth, unless the submitter wants it to be, just an account of the topics covered in the book and what you took from them, if anything. Anyone else interested in this?

Adrian
04-04-2003, 07:50 AM
Great idea Chris.

I have a few dusty tomes on the shelves. It would be great to have an area which focuses on this type of info.

striblue
04-04-2003, 07:53 AM
I read everything and have an extensive library..love the History of the sport also.... not just Fly fishing.

flyfisha1
04-04-2003, 08:06 AM
Great! Is there a formal process of requesting that a forum be added? I mean, this is assuming that we have several more members take an interest, which I think we'll have no problem with.
Striblue, (love the new picture) I agree; some of my favorites are simply stories and history of the sport. I particularly like the work of John Merwin.

flyfisha1
04-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Reviving this thread to see if anyone else has an interest in this topic...

striblue
04-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Not sure we would have enough for a dedicated thread ,,just my opinion.. we could just put the reviews in the sections where they are most appropriate to the subject matter..

Dble Haul
04-05-2003, 10:29 PM
I'm chiming in a bit late, but I think it's a good idea too. It seems like there's no shortage of people in the Forum who could use such an area.

John Desjardins
04-06-2003, 11:47 AM
If not a forum, then how about a series of articles.

Bob Pauli
04-08-2003, 11:08 PM
Let me offer two great books recently published:
The Founding Fish by John McPhee. A terrific story about the American Shad. I have a soft spot in my heart for shad because they can put a bend in a 14 foot 9 weight T&T rod that you would not believe.
Shad fishing via spey is my warmup for summer steelhead.
150 years ago shad was considered the most delicious of all fish.

Trout and Salmon of North America by Robert Behnke. No one on this board should miss this book. And the illustrations by Joseph Tomelleri are breathtaking.

flyfisha1
04-09-2003, 06:20 AM
Bob, by all means go ahead and do a review on each. I suppose a soft format for these and subsequent reviews should be considered... How about:
Book Title and Author(s) (obviously), Hardback/Paperback, Publishing Date, Retail Price (printed on book jacket), a brief summary of the subject matter, and then any detail the reviewer would like to go into regarding how this book was helpful to them and/or why they enjoyed/disliked it, personally. It should go without saying that the reviewer should be tasteful, if honest, in their discussion of the book. Please feel free to make comments and suggestions...
When I had this idea, it was my intent to include any and all books dealing with all aspects of fly fishing, so if any of our other members have favorite books that they would like to discuss, please do so. For now, these reviews should probably be posted in the "Other Musings" section, perhaps under "Favorite Recipes", until such time as a formal section is created... this is assuming that we get enough interest to do so, but with as many well-read members on the forum and the gusto with which we drop $$$ to pick up books, I don't think it will be too long a wait. Again, I don't want to overstep my boundaries, so if any of the Moderators would like to make an alternate suggestion, please do...

BobK
04-09-2003, 06:52 AM
Wow! Here on this board, we have so many varied interests, I think "personal bias" would creep in. We are "fly fishermen" and that's the only thing we have in common. There are salt water fishermen, trout fishermen, warm water fishermen, steelhead/Pac. salmon fishermen, Atlantic salmon/sea trout fishermen, carp (yes, even them!) fishermen, spey fishermen, standard "one-hander" fishermen, among others, and these variations come from every state, province, country and continent. In addition, there are rod makers and fly tyers for each of these varieties, as well as conservation issues associated with "all of the above". Trying to put a SINGLE "Books " forum in place to accommodate all would be quite a chore.

I think the idea is very good. I just think implementation would be a problem. Why not just encourage "book reports" to simply be submitted under the appropriate forums we already have. That would seem to be a better answer - I'm afraid that the "one size fits all" approach just won't do the job. Sorry for being a wet blanket, just my thoughts.

BobK:confused:

flyfisha1
04-09-2003, 07:12 AM
Bob, I had considered that; actually, the reason that I suggested that there be one single forum was precisely for the reasons you state: there are books out there on every possible subject, just as there are threads on the forum on every possible subject. The good thing about the threads is that they're in their own "catagories", the good thing about the books is that more often than not, the title of the book conveys the gist of the subject matter to those parties interested enough to be browsing that forum. Certainly, this is not the case with all books, but if someone wants to look for a review for some specific title or book containing some specific subject matter, they can do a quick search within the "Book Review Forum" and get the threads applicable. I think that the reviews need to be in one concise area, which should help keep them from becoming lost in the shuffle.

Just my .02...

Chris