Rip Trip---May? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip---May?


striblue
04-02-2003, 01:17 PM
I want to plan this out right... last fall we had a cancelled trip because of Rain... we had worked out the group..but I can't find the list... I did find in the search a preliminary list when we were thinking of two days... My thinking is that if we plan for two days then Everyone who signs up gets to go atleast one of the days. I want to plan for a weekend in May... late May I guess. Maybe a Saturday and Sunday... whats the feel on this...Last year we had in the preliminary list... Me, Eddie, penguin, Juro, JayM, SmcDermott, FredA, JFBasser, CSJ60, Big Dave, MattB, Shadfreak, Birdfish, Jimmy, Roop, Adrian, Craig, Double Haul and Bert, Chris, DocD, Quentin and Jim Simms... Now I know there were changes and this list anticipated two days.. we whittled it down to 13 for one day... but I think we can get everyone involved this year if we plan right.. I wonder if it would be easier to get a sign up sheet... then pick the weeKends, or even week days for those who would take time from work. For each group pick a "go" day and an "alternate" day to try to deal with weather. You might as well start now with at least a sign up sheet on this thread... so Who would be available in late May.. the two last weekends for a start..

striblue
04-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Just looked at the other threads and this looks like it may interfere with the Cape Spring kickoff..maybe I should move it to early June?

BigDave
04-02-2003, 03:26 PM
I vote for a June trip...can't wait to finally get out there and see what the Rip is all about!

jfbasser
04-02-2003, 05:33 PM
I am available just about anytime in late May/ early June.

rooster
04-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Striblue
Just got the vacation set. I am in for a 5/31 trip (arrive 5/30). I may have 2 or 3 others who would be also interested. I am also around the first week of June, if others are intersested in putting another group together. I will have 4 other guys at the house most of the week and they would also be interested.
Let me know what the process is.
Cheers,
DK
aka rooster

craig
04-03-2003, 08:37 AM
What day really doesn't matter.

jfbasser
04-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Mid Day High on the 31st of May

striblue
04-03-2003, 10:48 AM
Well the tide does matter... the ideal situatuion is an out going starting around 9 or 10 in the morning..and roaring by 2....

jfbasser
04-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Need to go on a weekday for perfect tides this year! Closest "good tide" is Memorial day weekend..:smokin:

juro
04-03-2003, 12:06 PM
July 13/14, Aug 9/10; 23/24 look purty good to me.

jfbasser
04-03-2003, 12:46 PM
July 12/13 tides are very close to those of May 31/ June 1. I thought this was the "spring" rip trip!

FredA
04-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Broken record time - I think it would be neat to get to the rip about 3 hours into the outgoing, fish the best of the rip, then fish the outside, to a north end pickup. Might be pretty interesting at the hieght of the migration.

BigDave
04-03-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by striblue
or even week days for those who would take time from work

I think an additional weekday rip trip would be a pretty good idea too...there certainly doesn't seem to be any lack of interest. I would do it in a heartbeat.

striblue
04-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Well, I just spoke with Dennis (Rooster) and he will be down that week with 3 or 4 guys so a mid week trip can be done.. we would have 5 or 6 guys right off the bat with Rooster and could easily fill up the rest.

hindus
04-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Let me know when you guys settle on a date

jimS
04-04-2003, 02:47 PM
John, I'm available from May 30th onward. I assume this is the same trip that was cancelled last fall - S. Monomoy?

Simms

Chris
04-17-2003, 10:09 AM
I'm good any weekend in May. I also am off the week of Memorial Day so I'll likley be lurking around Chatham.

BigDave
04-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Any word on a date yet? Just found out I can't do May 31 but any other day will work.

Really stoked to see the rip.

Dble Haul
04-17-2003, 10:28 AM
I've used all of my vacation time with the China trip, and the end of May is bad for me (anniversary). Also, I have the trip with Capt. Ray on the first weekend in June, so I'll have to pass on this one.

I'm gonna bank some company holidays so I can comp them later in the year, so if a fall Rip Trip is in order I'll be able to do it.

Good luck to everyone who goes, and please share pictures!

FishHawk
04-18-2003, 04:52 AM
Would like to attend . Late May and the second week in June good for me. Hope I can make it. FishHawk:D

BirdFish
04-22-2003, 03:13 PM
June is better for me than May.
Dave Williams

CSJ60
04-28-2003, 09:16 AM
I can make any weekend except Memorial day weekend 5/23 - 5/26 or any weekday trip.

Update:

Off to CA on business 5/18 - 5/22 not available 5/23- 5/26.

rs2003
04-28-2003, 10:20 AM
If this trip is open to anyone.Im in .any weekend works for me

BigDave
04-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Has there been any recent developments here guys?

John if there's anything I can do to help pls let me know.

Dave

striblue
04-30-2003, 03:50 PM
Dave..no there has not... I will look back on all there posts and I will also see or call Keith this weekend and set up some dates..so..everyone should hear from me next week...ok?

BigDave
04-30-2003, 03:51 PM
Thanks Stri.

Like I said...let me know if there's anything I can do

Gotta fish that rip!

flyfreak
05-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Has a date been decided ?
Reel Time is planning a 6/14 Rip Trip...
might want to X that out for the FFF Rip Trip, unless you like crowds ......

I've never fished here, I hope this trip pans out !!!!

BigDave
05-06-2003, 01:14 PM
I think the RT trip is just a Monomoy clave...not a riptrip.

striblue
05-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Dave is correct........................

Greg Pavlov
05-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Where is the "rip trip ?" I'm going to be fishing
on the Cape from May 27 thru June 2 with a few
others.

striblue
05-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Greg..it is the southern most point of South Monomoy Island...next land fall is Nantucket... access is restricted and we go by boat... Keith L.of the "Rip rider' takes us there on a 7:30 departure with pick up around 4 pm.... we stay all day.

bonefishmon
05-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Please count me in anytime between now and June 2nd. Need two weeks notice for Sundays and weekdays.

Phil

striblue
05-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Just so everyone knows.... each Trip can only take 12 people...... I am planning atleast one trip and maybe two... so I think we will have more people wanting to go than will fit on one trip... those who missed out on the September Trip because of the Weather will have the first priority on the first trip this year that I am meistering.... I will meister another trip after that... but will defer to other volunteer orgainizers for subsequest Rip trips... I would Suggest that those who have been on a number of Trips be the meister..Like Juro, FredA, etc. ...for future trips. I am committed to orgainize the first and one more... I will pick a date and a backup date..usually the first date will be a Saturday with the Backup on Sunday.....I am proposing The Date of May 31 with the Backup of June 1... the weekend prior is Memorial day weekend and don't feel that that would be a good weekend to do it. I will go back to the list of last year as a start.. as well as this thread to get a list of the names... I don't think we need a sign up sheet since I am working from the cancelled trip with names picked from this list.

BigDave
05-07-2003, 12:35 PM
May 31/June 1 doesn't work for me, but...

How about June 7/8? This does not interfere with a mid-day high for flats guys and also sets up the ideal peak-flow of the outgoer situation John eluded to earlier. I think the high that morning is around 7am...not positive though. Considering the timing of the migration so far, June 7th and 8th could be "salad days".

Adrian
05-07-2003, 12:53 PM
John, if I was on the September list (can't remember) I will pass on the May trip. I will probably head to the Cape that week-end (May 30) though but plan a new moon assault on the back ponds. :D

FredA
05-07-2003, 01:02 PM
John, I'm going to focus on my bayside flats education mid May through June. Maybe help out with a dogdayz rip trip in August.

striblue
05-07-2003, 01:52 PM
I am at at a loss as to what to do... I know I am fishing with Adrian one of those days.... I am now wondering whether I just have Juro set up a sign up sheet. I could say we go on the following weekend..if the tide is best... will the Tide be best the weekend of the 7th... if so, then lets do it the 7th... I would ask everybody who reads this post to GO back to the first post on this thread and it is there you will see the names of those who have priority... ...so, I am asking now... WHO FROM THE LIST ON THE FIRST POST CAN DO SATURDAY, June 7th... If I get 12 committeed people... We go...I will contact Keith... please post here if you can go on the 7th..from the names on post #1... If i can not fill the slots with those names I will work back in the thread.

jfbasser
05-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Stri,

I was on the early list from the fall.....but the 7th conflicts with my required preparation for my daughters graduation party. So, given the late return from the trip, I will have to bow out. I would be interested in the second trip, however.

Thanks

striblue
05-07-2003, 02:12 PM
I have not even checked my graduation dates.......JBAsser..would the May31 date have worked..because It maybe that I do the May 31 date AND the June 7 date as my two meisters... How is that looking...??????????

jfbasser
05-07-2003, 07:35 PM
May 31 would work for me...

jimS
05-07-2003, 08:05 PM
John, I'm in for the 7th, but can do the 30 May, but like others, the 7th sounds more promising. It appears you are in a conundrum, but go with the flow. Thanks for meistering the event.

Simms

CSJ60
05-08-2003, 09:10 AM
I can make May 30/31 or June 7/8.

Broadbill
05-08-2003, 06:45 PM
John -

If the JayM in your first post is me (I'm pretty sure I signed up), then I'm in for 6/7.

Broadbill
Jay MacLaughlin

JayM
05-14-2003, 12:07 PM
Been watching the thread to see what the final agreement was on timing. I am the original "JayM" and am fine with the June 7th date.

Sorry Broadbill........

Jay

rooster
05-14-2003, 01:43 PM
John,
I can bring 4 for 5/31 OR I could bring 4 or 5 for 6/2-6/3-6/4.
Let me know what we are doing. I understand if you are over-booked for Sat, 5/31.
DK

striblue
05-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Dennis... I need to have The board put up a sign up sheet... but it does look like the 5/31 is booked BUT youn never know..I am faqirly sure we can squeeze that number in for th 6/7 trip..I will not be on that one... but will definitly need a meister to orgainize and call the shots with Keith.

rooster
05-14-2003, 04:50 PM
John,
Sound like your 5/31 boat is full. I will need to keep all 4 of my guys together for that day. Hope to see you and Pete at the house that night. I will have 4 or 5 that will want to do a rip-trip on either 6/2, 6/3 or 6/4. I could take 5 others with me. Should I call Keith and see if he is open, or what is the procedure?
DK

striblue
05-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Dennis... You can call him and get the details for those days... I will plan on seeing ypu that night... one way or another... If there is any danger on the weather or if there is any potential for a SW wind... I will cancell it since I don't want to end up down there and have to walk 8 miles to the northern pickup point.. that real is bad....