Fly Fishing Forum banner

Line slicknes

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BobK 
#1 ·
For ages, I've read Orvis' account of how their Wonderlines are the slickest available; their "Advantage" series purports to be 20% slicker than the original Wonderlines (and 20% more durable, as well). This line is supposedly made by SA; if this is true, it would stand to reason that high-end SA lines are equally as slick, if not slicker, than Wonderlines. I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with the comparison of these lines, all other things being equal, in terms of which one seems to shoot better?

2. Which lines, in general, have you found to be the best in terms of shootability? Specifically, manufacturer, taper, line model. Exclude shooting head lines, stick with standard WF lines if possible, please.

Orvis' Wonderlines retail for $59-$79, with most of their saltwater lines costing $69; this is more expensive than most lines offered by "established" line manufacturers such as Cortland, SA, Monic, AirFlo, etc. Is the added cost worth it; are these lines indeed the slickest?

#2 ·
I have used a few Wonderlines, and in trout sizes (I have a WF 5 and 7) they are the best shooting ones I've used but unfortunately I cannot compare with the latest SA lines. However, they do have a bit of memory but not too problematic.

I've also used a WF11F Wonderline tarpon taper on the same trip with a RIO Clear tip tarpon line (powerflex core) and both shoot really well, hard to tell the difference. For versatility (for both hot and cold weather), I prefer the Orvis amber intermediate which shoots well and seems to last forever.

I saw on another website that many people have complaints about the durability of the floating Wonderlines. Apparently they lose their slickness quickly. But maybe the new 'Advantage' is longer lasting. I haven't used mine long enough to judge. I bought them last fall on sale for $30-35 :) (before the new Wonderline Advantage came out)

If you don't mind a little extra work, applying some dressing can make any line into a Wonderline - at least for a few hours. Products used to treat and waterproof shoes and some textiles seem to work pretty well too.

Slick lines!

#3 ·
Stay away from wonderline in light weights. I take good care of my lines and have been through 4 wonderlines in the last 2 years due to severe cracking (down to the dacron). I fish a lot of days but that's way too many times - they said it was a "production issue". This was on a 4wt floater.

Any line that is freshly dressed should shoot like a charm but if you are looking for reccomendations I have a RioGrande on my 6wt that is a killer line. Welded loop is nice too.

#4 ·
SA makes the Wonderline, but the slick coating is applied by them. All the new super slick lines lose their slickness quickly. I clean and grease them as needed. It makes a difference. I wonder lines that I have used were ok. In the light lines, I really like the SA distance taper and the Rio classic. I am interested in the SA Ultra 4.

#5 ·
The wife will be away for a week...

... visiting her parents, which gives me 7 whole days to fish every day! We use a raw material in a couple of our products that I believe has some applicability to line dressing, so I'm going to do some heavy testing on it in the next few days, to see if it enhances the slickness of the line and enables me to shoot farther. I've got two possible formulas, one clear, one opaque. I'll report back on my findings. Hopefully neither will screw up the line, but that's a risk you take when you test new products, I suppose.

#7 ·
Granted - but...

Now, Orvis has another line out - they were selling off "wonderlines" real cheap. Yeah, this one's supposed to be even "slicker".

I have good luck casting with them, but also with Cortland's 555, Sci Angler's latest, etc. BUT... I take care to clean 'em and dress 'em with silicone lube after every use. Makes a BIG difference!:D

BobK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.