Another HR Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Another HR Report

steelheadmike
03-31-2003, 09:52 AM
Left the dock at 7am on Saturday. Fog was so thick the visibility was at best 20-30yds. BAD stuff. Thank the Powers that be for GPS.

Anyway. Big John and myself fished from Tellers point into the bay. We POUNDED fish all morning. The bay was like a sheet of glass!! We hit fish on every cast for 2 hours and then it steadily declined until the plug was pulled around 12pm.

Funny part is we fished in the middle of an armada of boats and did not even know it until the fog lifted. Could not hear or see a thing until the soup lifted. When it did we were in awe to see 22 boats all around us.

By the way.... 13 fish fell victim to a clouser minnow and a 250grn. My other buddy Bob had more fish than I can count on the fly. He did not pick up the spin gear all day.

Bob Creeden
04-01-2003, 09:10 AM
The old neighborhood sounds good, Mike. Did you get a water temperature check? How long was the Clouser. Did you try any poppers or sliders? Are the fish still in the 10 pound schoolie class?

Man, I envy you! I'll be down the weekend of 4/12.

See ya,

steelheadmike
04-01-2003, 09:28 AM
Bob,

The hood is still there. The fish the past week or so have been a tad on the smallish side. Most fish are averaging 5-9lbs with the occasional larger one. 2 weeks ago we were getting fish in the 10-15lb mark but they have vanished for now. So far this year the biggest was 21lbs and change and my personal best was 14 and change.

It has been a funny year. Most years the fish stage in the south bay ( Tellers Point ) this year they seem to be on the North and South in good numbers. Last year the fish only stopped on the north side. Think because of low water conditions in the Croton River. So far I have done equally well on both sides but as of this past week it seems to be the bulk is on the south.

Water Temps in Croton Bay as of Saturday were 40-42. The Main river was still around 37. ( Surface temp )

Clousers that I and a few others have been using are are around 3-5 inches long with 1/4 ounce Eye Balz. My buddy Frank has been using a 550grn and a Decieverish type Fly. I have a great fly I came up with 8 years ago I call the Croton Killer but I misplaced them and need to tie another half dozen. :mad: They are the cats meow out there. I would gladly pin that fly against any lure,bait or fly. Its like catnip for Stripers. It's basically a deciever with a few modifications.

I can give you the recipe if you would like to try it.

striblue
04-01-2003, 09:50 AM
This is Killing me... you will pay for this Mike...I swear!!!;)

steelheadmike
04-01-2003, 09:57 AM
When our home waters are void of fish and you Cape Flats guys are knee deep in sand eels tight to 35 inch fish on a blue bird day watching waves of fish cruising across pristine New England Flats I will be crying in my Dead Guy Ale as I do almost every year. If you listen close you may hear the distant sobbing and the occasional obscenity.:mad:

Striper
04-01-2003, 09:58 PM
John,
Godd things come to those who wait!!! Your time is coming my friend.................soon enough you will be tight to your first fish of 2003 and all this winter weather will be just a memory. I will venture a guess of 3rd week of April for you guy's up north we should see them in the next week or 2 in numbers but it did snow again today so maybe a little longer than I thought.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

steelheadmike
04-02-2003, 09:37 AM
Mike,

Interested in checking out the scene down here?

Roop
04-02-2003, 09:39 AM
Are these holdovers or migrating fish?

steelheadmike
04-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Roop,

Honestly you have a mix of both. Immature fish that are to young to spawn and then the larger spawners. As of now I would say 50/50. Last week produced nothing over 10lbs. Not sure what the spawning age is for these fish. The big push will be any week now or even any day. One day you go out and you cant see bottom on the sonar they are so thick. Then 2-5 days later.... POOF! Gone up to the Catskills. They make a brief stop back in the area for about a week after the spawn and then no more fun. After they exit the system they travel up to you guys. Not sure what the ratio is for Chesapeke vs Hudson fish in the NE States. I thought I read once that 25-35% are from the Hudson. Maybe more now that the river has cleaned up and the ban on commercial fishing is still in effect.