Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly tying vise?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
I made a mistake and bought a Cabela's Fly tying kit to get started in fly tying. After tying my first two flies (larger sized hooks) with no problem, I tried a smaller size hook (size 12). I couldn't get the Cabela's Master Vise to firmly hold the size 12 hook. I adjusted the cam to increase the pressure on the hook, but when I cranked down the cam the back side or threaded part of the collet broke in half!!

Is this just a poor quality vise or did I do something wrong?

I'm planning on returning the vise and purchasing one of better quality. I'm hoping to spend under $50 and was considering the Thompson Pro Vise (usually priced between $35-$40). I don't need any real fancy gadgets or frills, just a dependable vise that will securely hold the hook.

I normally tie flies in sizes 10-18. Could anyone recommend a good quality vise that will fit my needs?

#2 ·
Thompson makes a very serviceable vise. My Thompson Pro is still going strong on a friend's bench. My suggestion is to take a flyer ob purchasing a vise -- a number of which are currently available on eBay -- in the Renzetti style. You can pick one up for under $50 and, from what I have heard, they will serve you better than the Thompson Pro. My $0.02.

#4 ·
Cabela's actually carries an inexpensive Regal knock-off vice for around $40; it's the same one I use to tie everything from size 18 up to 3/0, and have never had any trouble (knock on wood) with holding hooks securely. I've had this vice for a little over two years, and have no reason to look at anything more expensive. It's not rotary, but if you're a beginner there's no real need to buy a rotary vice, IMO; learing to use it may hinder the learning curve of tying. I'm no professional, but I tie on the order of 10-30 flies a week (time permitting) and have been pleased with my vice. By the way, this vice has spring-loaded jaws, and looks like it could take a direct hit from a .44-cal and still be functional. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.