Two Inch FB [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Two Inch FB

striblue
03-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Here is a smaller version of the FB about two inches long..a good general size.

Dble Haul
04-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Uh-oh, now you've gone and given me an idea....

BTW, love the new avatar. :hehe:

striblue
04-04-2003, 08:18 PM
You Know Mark... I have been thumbing though Carrie Stevens book and I swear these little Fb flies would make some nice freshwater streamers... the difference being that for the first time the streamers would have a natural fish profile and thickness... That is...not flat., like most streamers I know about... I may take a Carrie Stevens fly with the Jungle cock and game bird feathers and try one.

flyfisha1
04-04-2003, 08:33 PM
You might tie a couple of those beauties up to imitate the sunfish that largemouth and smallmouth bass chase during the Spring and Summer. They have the dorsoventrally-flattened profile you've got with that pattern, and there are several species (regional) with variations in coloration that would be fun to tie. Heck, pike and their relatives, as well as members of the perch family, would love to take a crack at those!

Dble Haul
04-04-2003, 09:18 PM
I think that you're both on target. My idea was to take that full profile of the FB and incorporate into a two inch long fly in sculpin and/or madtom colors for smallies.

Of course, I'll have to set aside time to tie and then fish them...:devil:

John, I will definitely let you know how this goes. I was gonna chat with you about this at some point anyway.

Adrian
04-04-2003, 10:22 PM
John,

I had the same thought when I saw you tie the small one at Wilmington (not just smallies either - I can see lunker browns taking a liking to this one too). Can't wait to give them a swing on the Housie this summer.

In the meantime I tied up a slightly larger one (~4") which I will christen in the Aloha state next week. I have a half day blue water trip booked for Tuesday - I'm hoping for YFT / Mahi Mahi - reports are encouraging. :smokin:

Could it be that I get to christen the featherbrain? That would be an honor indeed.

I promise a full report on my return :D

striblue
04-04-2003, 11:49 PM
That sounds great Adrian.. I hope you have a great trip and don't forget to get a bead on the type of flys they are using out there . I would be interested in the types used in Hawaii... good luck and I look forward to fishing with you down the cape soon..