Calamari... or Giant Squid? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Calamari... or Giant Squid?

flyfisha1
03-30-2003, 07:25 AM
I love to tie squid imitations; between squid and crabs, I've got enough flies to last me several seasons of high-action fishing, ask my wife!:whoa:
The RM short-fin was the inspiration for this first fly pictured, which is tied on a Tiemco 9394 size 1. I learned the hard way that EZ Body is the only braided body material that I care to work with; I got some more flimsy stuff from a local store and it doesn't work nearly as well. This is not an overly large fly pictued... but see the next post... :eyecrazy:

flyfisha1
03-30-2003, 07:32 AM
Bored with "run-of-the-mill" little squid, I decided to boost the size of the pattern. Having looked at Bob Pops' book and the Shady Lady Squid, but not having two vices, I simply went looking for an alternate means of tying the head and extending it past the bend in the hook... 1.5" finishing brads seemed a good plan. However, then the mantle was too short, so I simply extended the eye of the hook about 1" with a cotter pin. The cotter pin and brad were lashed to the hook, then coated with liquid super glue. The fly is quite light, and could easily be tossed with a 10-wt.
This fly is tied with an 811S 3/0. I may try this fly with a long-shank hook, but I have yet to find one in the size I need that has enough gap. Overall length of the fly is just over 7".

flyfisha1
03-30-2003, 07:33 AM
One more shot of the giant squid...

striblue
03-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Nice.. I like that too because a real squids tenticles are shorter than the body, except it's feelers.

saltydog
03-30-2003, 11:36 AM
FLYFISHA1, WOW:eek: NICE AN BIG. LOVE IT! I can see a 30lb eating it now. heres one I did the body is 7" full lenth is 12"
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

kush
03-30-2003, 10:42 PM
This thread brings back some great memories of my trip to the Cape last summer, with Juro, Penguin, Striblue et al :D My introduction was a Rip Trip - not a bad way to start! In preparation for the trip I had tied lots of flies - but the one I had the most fun with was the Kush's Kalamari. My use of plastic was emboldened by some of the flies I saw posted in the Archives - so I went for it! Lo and behold - they worked like a hot damn!

If anyone wants some hoochie skirts I think there's still 2 or 3 packs glowing in the dark on Penguin's fly tying table!