Fly Fishing Forum banner

has anybody used bottom line's sidefinder fish finder?

14K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Flybob 
#1 ·
i need advise about the sidefinder fishfinder for use on my southfork pontoon boat. anybody have ideas or suggestions?

#2 ·
I have used one of these for Trout fishing on Lochs and Lakes in Scotland and England for the past few years and think they're great.

The ability to detect fish in front of the boat in addition to those beneath is a tremendous assest. The one I have is the old model Fishing Buddy 2 and if I can answer any of your questions I will.

#3 ·
hey

hi scots..

does the fishfinder locate fish well. i fish shallow to deep lakes. they vary greatly. im most interested in shallower water ability. does the batteries last well and what type do you use. what type of mount do you use for it?

#4 ·
Hi Mountaintrout

It locates fish very well but works best in water 8+ feet deep although it will pick up fish shallower than that. Obviously in deeper water the beam will be larger.

It takes 4 of the C type batteries and these last extemely well eg 20 trips of 6-8 hours.

I bought the mount sold by the company and it goes on the end of my aluminium boat seat. Most users here put it on the side of the boat. I 've attached a picture which just shows it.

Come back to me if you need anything else.

#5 ·
Mountaintrout,
I acquired an older model sidefinder years ago, mine only uses 3 C cells, and have found it helpful while cruising lakes and reservoirs in the part of Oregon I fish.
It can also lead to some frustration, in that the fish you are seeing are not biting, or are up 160 feet in front of you.
The model I own will delineate between small (all) and larger fish, too.
Battery life in extreme cold is limited, but Using alkaline batteries and warm weather should give around 20-25 hours of service.
I picked up a mount by Mountain Cork which straps around the tube or pontoon and holds the Fishin' Buddy very securely. I also have the hard plastic mount/clamp that is more suited to hard boats.
Best of luck in your decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.