Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bobbin

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
I got frustrated last night and threw out a bobbin last night when it cut the thread 3 times per fly on a couple of flys in a row. So I ask you what is the Best bobbin out there? The bobbin will mostly be used for 6/0 & 8/0 thread on freshwater patterns.

#3 ·
I'd gone to Renzetti ruby for that reason, but I have to say that the ceramic are a lot cheaper and I haven't had any more problem with them than w/ the ruby.

The smaller R/Ruby has a very narrow channel and the ruby insert stops at the top, making a blunt edge that is difficult to suck a thread into. One of my top criteria is how well a thread sucks up, I can't be bothered with a threader. All but one of my bobbins is easily threaded by mouth, and that one is the small ruby. The large ruby works great as does the ceramic. In a pinch, a piece of monofilament works great as a threader.

Looking at some of the tiny finesse work you do, I would assume you are looking for a finer cylinder and thus I thought I would provide an account of my experience (your results may vary).

#5 ·
They look just like a regular bobbin but in the cylinder they have a small ruby internal lining (top portion only) that protrudes just a smidge and prevents abrasion very effectively.

Once again I think the ceramic is just as effective for a fraction of the money, but if you don't mind paying for the ruby it's a nice thing to have for finer threads.

#6 ·
I have all of them.. but I like the ruby insert that Juro mentioned .He is right when he says you can have difficulty sucking the thread up because it catches on the inside of the insert...but I do use a threader and find it ok to use...does not bother me.

#7 ·
Ruby...don't take your thread to town

The ruby insert bobbins also hold up better to impact. If you accidently drop or bang the tip of the ceramic bobbins, they will often develop fine, thread-cutting chips. The ruby insert seems to prevent this.

Having said that, I really like the small magnum bobbin frames, for thread control. I have them with ruby, ceramic, and plain metal. When they start to cut thread on me, I toss 'em. As I have a bobbin for each of my commonly used threads, they last a long time, but even if you swithc threads often, they should last at least a season with just the metal inserts. THe ceramic or ruby should last a LOT longer.

Just my $0.02...your mileage may vary.

Best regards,

-Doc

#8 ·
I've got to vote for the ruby midge version for the small stuff. Like others have stated it can be a pain to thread so be sure to get a few of them :devil: or at least one that you can leave black 8/0 in. and one that you can switch threads in. For larger saltwater stuff I like the griffin ceramic and they are less expensive.

#11 ·
I use three different bobbins. For 6/0. 8/0, and 12/0 threads, I use the S&M bobbin. This is the same bobbin that A.K. Best usess the most and which he recommends in his books. I have been using it since 1968 when I was 16 (in fact, I still have that one is use and can't begin to guess how many 10's of thousands of flies I have tied with it). It is short, compact, easy to adjust tension on, has a bit of weight to it to hold material in place with only a single wrap when tying, and it stands upright on the tying bench. I have 26 of them all loaded with different colors or sizes of thread. Also, it is a very inexpensive bobbin, it retails for around $6.00.

I use the Griffin Ceramic double-band standard tube length Magnum bobbin for flat-waxed nylon and UNI Stretch Nylon. It allows me to really crank down on material with minimal bobbin tube flex. I have 16 of them and they are all loaded with different colors of of flat-waxed nylon and UNI stretch nylon.

The third bobbin I use is the Griffin Supreme Ceramic. This is used when I want to use a bobbin with a longer tube to make it easier to tie the rear band on Zonkers or when a long-tubed bobbin makes it easier to tie something on the end of large long-shank hooks. I have 6 of these, again loaded with different colors and sizes of thread.

By having multiple bobbins each loaded with different thread sizes and colors, I do not have to change thread in my bobbins until a spool runs out. This also allows me to change thread colors during the course of tying a fly easily and quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.