Fly Fishing Forum banner

Darned suckers.

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Lipripper 
#1 · (Edited)
While we may not like to catch them I'm always glad to see suckers. I've found that they are a sign of a healthy eco system. And Hal a 4 pounder is a good sized one.

Edit

Whoops this one was for Hal's the streak continues thread.

G
#2 ·
The Betsie River(northern Michigan) gets a run of huge suckers this time of year. They get so many you have a hard time getting to the Steelhead.

Bad thing about them is that they spew all over you while you are tring to unleash them. Nasty foul stuff.

#4 ·
That's true....

Some of the bigger ones (5 or 6 lbs..???) even managed to pull out some line when I first hooked 'em - and they DID put up a respectable struggle. And they did hit flies. I have to grudgingly admit it was fun, and the first action after the Long Cold Winter!

Only complaint was that I didn't get long enough drifts to get into the chrome.

BobK

#7 ·
Off species

The Mo gets a good amount of suckers too. The biggest problem on the Mo right now is the Walleyes. We blanked on Sat for Steel but managed 3-4 wall hanger sized walleye. The biggest went 12-13 lbs. Season is closed but, man......little bit of oil and some bread crumbs.....Mmmmmm shore lunch.

LR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.