here's a cute little rascal. . . [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: here's a cute little rascal. . .

broche
03-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Yellow and green polar fibre with Orvis holographic tinsel

John Desjardins
03-25-2003, 08:47 PM
Nice looking fly. What is the hook it is tied on?

broche
03-25-2003, 09:02 PM
It's a Daiichi 3847 size 2/0. I've never used this type of hook before. I'm being told not to 'set the hook' by folks who have fished it. We'll see what happens!

flyfisha1
03-26-2003, 06:25 AM
Very nice! I've been tying these flies up the past week or so, will post some pics as soon as my new dig. camera arrives. Mostly, been doing bunker and sardine imitations, but the other night I did a red head/white, my favorite color combination when nothing else is working. Basically, the entire body is white with midge flash interspersed, then tied red around the head area, including below the shank. It's such a puny amount of polar fibre, I don't think it will have any negative-effects on "fly performance". I've been tying everything on 1/0 Owner Mutu Light circle hooks, and will probably continue to do so.

John Desjardins
03-26-2003, 08:23 AM
From using circles while bait fishing with my 6 year old I agree with the "don't set the hook" comments. What I found worked was a slow steady tightening of the line with the fish eventually realizing he was on a hook.

fredaevans
03-26-2003, 02:31 PM
Fellow from Europe was asking if anyone knew where he could get these in small hooks. Was anyone able to supply him with an answer?
fae

flyfisha1
03-26-2003, 03:34 PM
Yes, I directed him to Cabela's; he placed an order with them.

saltydog
03-29-2003, 06:21 AM
BROCHE,
very nice. as for the (cir hook) Ive used them, an NEVER set the hook. heres one on a cir. 4/0 (DR. DEATH) it kills them all the time.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
:smokin: