New York Times Write up?? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New York Times Write up??

juro
03-25-2003, 10:17 AM
Someone told me last weekend that we were written up favorably in the NYTimes. Anyone see that? Curious to see what they had to say about this fine community...

Hawkeye
03-25-2003, 05:05 PM
I didn't see an article but there is a sponsor site listed on the NYT home page with the name Flyfishingforums.com. I'm not entirely sure but I think they came after us and they apear to be a UK based group.

pmflyfisher
03-25-2003, 05:06 PM
What some one using our copyrighted name ?

PM Out

juro
03-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Well the guy who is the editor over at On the Water, Gene Bourque. He mentioned the nature of the article and it had something to do with finding things on the web for a flyfishing adventure. Not important, just thought someone might have seen it.

Hawkeye
03-25-2003, 05:19 PM
I just spent some time browsing and it is definitely a UK based forum. I noticed extmtbiker is a member there - perhaps he can tell us more.

Willie Gunn
03-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Hi
There are quite a few members of both fori (plural of forum?)
Steelheader 69, myself, Andy Wren etc.

Malcolm

juro
03-25-2003, 07:11 PM
Pretty convenient only having to change a single character to browse both! :)

BTW -

Creation date of the domain flyfishingforum.com = december 1999
Creation date of the domain flyfishingforums.com = march 2002

Were they known by another address prior to march 2002? They look very familiar.

In any case I like the site and have bookmarked it, very revealing view into a UK regional flavor of flyfishing.

Malcom, would you say that the forum (singular) protrays a US look and feel in the same way the forums (plural) portrays a UK regional look and feel to me? Just curious.

Bob Pauli
03-25-2003, 10:22 PM
Malcolm-

I think forum, fora, stadium, stadia, etc.

Gardener
03-26-2003, 07:20 AM
That forum is certainly the best UK based one I know. It's been running since at least the middle of 1999 as fishandfly.co.uk. There are other UK boards, but this has by far the most active membership, and also, at the risk of sounding pretentious, a well-developed intellectual/philosophical approach to issues that affect our pastime, alongside the everyday discussions about 'nuts and bolts' questions. There are a number of members with well entrenched opposing views on certain subjects, and it can at times get fairly heated, but all in all it's a good and friendly community. It is largely UK/Ireland based, but has a certain number of international members too, and also members who have fished all over the world. The breadth of experience and knowledge there is considerable, so it's definitely a good starting point for anyone seeking information about fishing the world over, as well as in these isles. Hope to see some of you over there.

admin
03-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Nice troll Gardner. I prefer the swing.

Well looking at the chronology, it's pretty clear they've tapped into the good name we spent over 2 years building before they secured the domain with the extra "s".

Nonetheless, it's a good resource as is our community, the more the merrier!

Hmmm... I just checked the domain fishandfly.us and it's available! Juro, why don't we pick it up as a redirect to the forum? :devil:

:hehe: web politics crack me up! Let's go fishing.

Gardener
03-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Admin, If I have ruffled your feathers, I can only apologise. Let me make it clear that I have nothing whatsoever to do with the other forum except as a moderately active participant. I posted here in response to the points raised by Juro, assuming (I hope correctly) that members other than Malcolm were allowed to do so. I was able to answer a factual query about chronology, and also responded in part to his enquiry about whether it had a 'UK regional look'. And I felt that it would not be inappropriate to give a general opinion of it at the same time.

As a rule I am cautious about using one board to promote another, but I have in fact recommended your board on at least one occasion in response to a request for information about North American fishing on fishandfly - and subsequently seen that person follow my recommendation. It was a posting by a senior member here (Fred Evans) on fishandfly that led me to this thread - and in it he put a direct link to YOUR board. And I know that this has also been done (specifically with reference to the speycasting section) by others from your membership. So it's been a two-way street as far as cross-referrals are concerned. It's perhaps also worth mentioning that in the UK it is not uncommon to recommend another board in response to a specific query - I can think of a number from all over the world that have been suggested on fishandfly, with no complaint from its owner. Perhaps this is simply a difference in culture between here and there.

If in the light of this clarification you still feel that I have transgressed, then I can only repeat my apologies. It was not my intention.

As to the suggestion that they are trying to tap into your reputation, I cannot comment on this. However, the people I know from there all refer to it as fishandfly rather than as flyfishingforums - indeed I wasn't even aware that they had the latter as one of their addresses.

Adrian
03-26-2003, 01:40 PM
Gardner

I'm not sure who "Admin" is these days :tsk_tsk: (91 posts ???)

I checked the site and was impressed with what I saw. It seems to be non commercial (although Fish and Fly is in some way), nicely done and most importantly I get the sense that people over there care about the same things we do.

I will be checking in there on a regular basis from now on and hope that you will continue to visit here.

Willie Gunn
03-26-2003, 04:07 PM
Bob, you are probably right most times I struggle with English (Scottish), latin is way over my head.

Juro I think your questions have been answered by others.

Malcolm

SDHflyfisher
03-26-2003, 04:53 PM
back in Feruary or january i was logging on and accidently put an "s" on and ended up there

Originally posted by juro
[B
Creation date of the domain flyfishingforum.com = december 1999
Creation date of the domain flyfishingforums.com = march 2002
[/B]

fredaevans
03-26-2003, 05:42 PM
by the many similarities on the posts/responces to questions. Even put in my .2 cents on a couple of questions.

Fun to read the view/question/etc., from half way round the world. Just proves the "6 degrees of separation."
fae

MJC
03-26-2003, 11:49 PM
I had a look at this Forum site in the U K. If you want to read something a little different go there and scoll to the last forum:
"The Hunting Debate"

DEERHAAWK
03-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Good evening,
.....Imitation, is the greatest form of flattery. So let's raise a glass to The Fly Fishing Forum, for the work we do here is truly Global in scope! I am glad to be a part of such a fine group of individuals dedicated to the art of Flyfishing around the world. I think we should let it be known to the NYT who WE are, just to put everything in perspective. Last time I did a count here, I think I came up with 1400+ members in a number of countries and the U.S.
Juro, what do you think?
Deerhawk