sweet sale [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: sweet sale

BigDave
03-24-2003, 08:35 AM
For anyone in the Boston/Worcester area who has not stocked up for the season yet:

Orvis Framingham is going out of business and all tying supplies are half off. Still a decent selection of stuff despite the fact that I cleaned out their hook selection pretty well yesterday :devil:

striblue
03-24-2003, 08:58 AM
Going out of business???? That was a big store and I did not think there was much competition working against them...interesting.

neac9
03-26-2003, 12:32 AM
.John its sad to say but more and more places are going out, here in RI there is almost no one. I mean we have fin and feather and the saltwater edge across the bay but most have small limited stock. To find good stock we have to drive to the Den I am thankful that ppl like Scott are willing to go out on a lim with such a large line of supplies with the cost of these products going up and the mail order and Internet chipping away at there profits not to mention the state of the economy. I just think we should all stand behind these vendors its not worth 10% to lose them as they are a valuable asset lets face it when was the last time your (time life operator) shared a fishing spot, a technique or even gave you some insight into the product your looking at. Not to mention there is something to be said about holding supplies or products be for you buy them just think about this a good shop will let you try rods out back help you with line selection and even help with your warranty in most cases.To these big wholesalers your a number , in most cases you end up waiting for you order and if its not right or not what you expexted well your waiting again.

BigDave
03-26-2003, 08:18 AM
I'm not sure why this location is going out of business but there are multiple fly shops downtown to compete with (including the main Orvis Boston location). Also Natick Outdoor Store has better prices and a superior location just down the road...I think that may have something to do with it.

hindus
03-28-2003, 10:39 PM
I don't knoe whats happening at Orvis, but the service has been pretty poor over the past year.

The lastg time I was in the Framminghan store, they were giving a hart time to a woamn who had broken her husband's Orvis fly rod. They said that they could not replace it in the store and the she should sen it back to Orvis, then it would take 2-5 weeks.

She was livid, and I donlt blame her.

My wife went into the store to get me a Christmass present. There was no one who could recommend flies to use in Hawaii or the Keys.

It's pretty clear that they were not keeping the good people who worked there in the past.

In this economy customers won't put up with high prices AND lousy service.

BigDave
03-31-2003, 08:16 AM
Hindus,

That's unfortunate. I have generally had excellent service there. In fact I took my 4wt in 2 weeks ago and they offered to send the rod back for repair for me. I don't think they carry too much in the way of exotic patterns though - I would do the research myself for those kinds of flies anyway.

Guess it all depends on who's behind the counter when you get there.

flyfisha1
03-31-2003, 12:44 PM
I normally don't go into the local Orvis store, but had a pleasant surprise when I paid them a visit this past weekend: two huge boxes of tying materials were 40% off, simply because it was in old packaging! Needless to say, my wife's arms were full of all the stuff I picked up.:hehe: