Fly Fishing Forum banner

Starting with a dead battery...

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bcasey 
#1 ·
All the hardcores already know this, but if your power is dead and you have an outboard, just pop off the cowling and use a rope to manually start the engine. There is a toothed ropestarting gear complete with rope notch on just about every make out there, usually the top-most feature once the cover is off. The notch is angled to give you a hint which way, of not arrow marking is present. Put the engine in neutral, wrap the rope and give it a spin!

Saved our butt many times over the years. Sorry if this is obvious, but believe it or not I've had to remind many people over the years about it so I thought what the heck.

#3 ·
Come to think of it, my 115 yammi came with a pull rope. Of course it's still in the bag in my basement!:eek: I guess for the start of my 4th season I should put it in the BOAT!!! Thanks for the reminder Juro.
Naturally, nothing goes wrong during the first few years of a new engine/boat! Just lucky, I am.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.