Name my boat contest [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Name my boat contest

bcasey
03-21-2003, 02:22 PM
I have owned my boat for 4 years. I gave it the name "Reel Fishy" last year because I thought it might be bad luck to go unnamed. But I don't like it!
Help me name my boat and the winner gets a all expenses paid trip to the flats of your choice, providing it's on the Cape, you get your own hotel, and come with your own gear. Oh, and you can't be talkin all day while were tryin to fish! OK so I'm no charmer to fish with, but we usually have a blast and catch alot of fish. I win both ways, get a new name for the boat AND fish with a friend, new or old friend, it dosen't matter. Help me out, PLEASE

BigDave
03-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Try these on for size:

'Tiderunner'
'Strip Set'
'Reel Deal'
'Guppy Conqueror'

almost forgot my favorite:

Knotty Bouy

just sittin around the office with a little too much time on my hands this friday afternoon :D

DFix
03-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Casey's Flat

Moonlight
03-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Hey BC, I'm a "Mariner" and as such I am highly schooled in the various superstitions that revolve around boating. I feel that it is incumbent on my part to advise you that the renaming of a vessel is considered to be very bad luck. Not sure where this taboo originated but I must in all honesty pass it on.
:eyecrazy:

juro
03-21-2003, 03:01 PM
"Case Closed"
"Casey's Jones"
"On the Case"

bcasey
03-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Moonlight, I'm not concerned with bad luck as I am with a bad name.
Juro, "Casey's Jones" I like, top of the list so far, but keep them coming!:chuckle:
DFix, bottom, sorry!:devil:

Smcdermott
03-21-2003, 03:34 PM
"Time Flies"
"Cast Away"
and the the lengthy entry...
CASEY on the FLAT

Hawkeye
03-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Strip Strike

Striper Striker

bcasey
03-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Sean, Cast Away works too! Even if you allready have a spot on the boat this season!
Gregg, have you come up with a name for the new sled yet?

JimW
03-21-2003, 09:02 PM
What's the deal on renaming a boat, the CC I lucked into last fall was named 'Papa two' I'd hate to bring on bad luck and to tell the truth I probably won't even get around to peeling off the lettering this year. There's a big list of fix this add that, I haven't even changed the registration numbers yet.
When I do name the boat I'm thinking 'Byte-Me'

FredA
03-21-2003, 09:06 PM
I don't know Case. If I were you I'd lose this thread and take Moonlights advise.

longrod
03-21-2003, 09:06 PM
I like "Pastor Fundi"
plus add a picture of carp/Cod for effect.:smokin:

cohocola
03-21-2003, 10:01 PM
How about: UNSINKABLE XII

seuss
03-22-2003, 12:04 AM
a few options
[list=1] Chasin' Tail

See Cow

Casey's Catcher

Fish On!

Double Triple

Casey's Affair

Mistress

Second Wife

The Blitz

Strip Set

Endless Summer

Striper Bound

Casey's Keepers

Fishin' Frenzy

Pogie Run

Chum Lord

Fin-Addict

and one for the handle...

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

or perhaps more simply...

One Fish Two Fish[/list=1]
but i'll keep thinking.

JimW
03-22-2003, 07:43 PM
Moonlight,
I must have missed your post before I replied. What's the general rule for renaming a boat after a change of ownership. I'm not supersitious but my boat luck has not been great so far and I'm simply not going to push my luck.

OK, I guess maybe, possibly on this point I may be supersitious.

So if I just bought the boat that already had a name can I rename it without the wrath of the boat name gods coming down on me?

bcasey
03-23-2003, 09:36 AM
Good question Jim, In my case I gave the boat a name just to have one on file with Seatow, and to use as a handle for the VHF, I never actually applied the name to the boat, ie; painted or stuck on decals, so that's how I'm justifing the move!

Eddie
03-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Brian, changing names is common, but do it right. So as not to earn the wrath of Posidon, you must honor him with a renaming cerimony. This could be fun if nothing else. See http://www.latitude38.com/features/dename.htm for details. This includes previousely owned boats.
As for names, I have always been a little wary of goofy puns, testostirone laden handles, and tired re-treads. I think no name is better luck than a whack one.
Imagine compounding a mishap with a silly name like "Water Hazzard".
I remember putting on a clinic next to a fishless boat called "Striper King".
I guesse I'm no fun, but the sea is a seriouse place and I think that a respectful name is most appropriate.
You can't go wrong with the name of a loved one who waits patiently on land(perhapse in the widow's walk). I have not named my boat partly because I haven't come up with the right name, and partly because an 18', white, rolled edge skiff is hardly romantic. My old lady protests me naming it after her. Patricia Marie does have a nice ring to it. Maybe when I get a Buddy Davis sportfisher or a Concordia yawl.
Really... I'm much more fun to fish with. Eddie

Roop
03-24-2003, 08:50 AM
Case,

The way t avoid any rpoblems when re-naming a boat is that you must provide flies, lures and some fine Irish Whiskey to a new boat owner. For best luck he should be @ 6'2", 190#, excitiable when it comes to fishing, brown hair... likes long wlaks on the beach at sunset... sorry, lost myself!

Look forward to seeing you out there.

Roop

bcasey
03-24-2003, 12:14 PM
You know me Roop! As long as it's share and share alike, no problem.:devil:
Lookin forward to many trip swaps this season!

JimW
03-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks Guys, you've helped me snap out of it. I had Jenna take the hair dryer to the boat yesterday. The lettering came right off.

Now it is a boat without a name but I was leaning toward 'byte me' though it may lose some meaning over the air waves.:hehe:

Hawkeye
03-24-2003, 03:45 PM
Case,

Our boat will be named "Lucky Skunk" with a picture of peppy le pew at the ending and beginning with a four leaf clover.