Stripers love clams... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Stripers love clams...

juro
03-19-2003, 03:35 PM
But do they eat clams in the shell? Now striblue, don't get any ideas ;)

Adrian
03-20-2003, 05:26 AM
I think one of Dick Browns bonefish patterns already has that one covered. :devil:

steelheadmike
03-20-2003, 09:37 AM
Isn't there a fly called the Clam before the Storm?

striblue
03-20-2003, 09:40 AM
Yes.. and I have one pictured with directions in the Bonefish Archives.

DFix
03-20-2003, 10:29 AM
Yes, stripers ingest whole clams, whole blue and green crabs, mussels. On a late night trip with Capt. Hathaway a couple years ago, several friends caught fish. Upon cleaning them, it was discovered that they'd eaten whole blue crabs up to and including 4+ inches as well as hard shell clams. Sprocket can attest to this.

striblue
03-20-2003, 11:11 AM
I wonder if a clam would make a good fly for the flats when things are tough out there in the summer.... cast a clam in the lane and leave it still... HHHHMMMM! The silli skin would make a good clam shell I would think.... But is this the straight dope on stripers and clams.... because i have not heard about this before... crabs, yes....clams??????

BigDave
03-20-2003, 03:17 PM
Do they dig them out of the sand or what? Sounds fishy...

Dble Haul
03-20-2003, 03:54 PM
I've had some stripers clam up when my fly was near, but I don't think that's the same thing......:o

Nor-Easter
03-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Striped Bass are as lazy a feeding fish as there is in the sea. They will eat almost anything, alive or dead. They grub in the mud and rocks for anything they can find.
I don't want a lot of flames for this but one "problem" you younger folks seem to have is a mistrust of your elders. We were catching and cleaning Striped Bass before many of you were born and have found many, many strange things inside the belly of bass. le; Condoms, hooks and rigs, clams, mussells, right up through to small stripers inside the belly of big stripers.
In the old days when charters wanted fish for the freezer we would clean tons of bass each season and usually observed their eating habits to stay up to speed on what to use for bait!
Good Luck, Good Fishing and Good Night!
Capt. Chet- Nor-Easter Charters

DFix
03-20-2003, 04:17 PM
(Oops - this is a family show) :rolleyes:

See, I knew there was somebody out there who'd vindicate me - I'm just glad it's Capt. Grumpy !!! :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

:rolleyes:

Alright, now that you are paying attention:

Clams are bivalves. They extend their siphon beyond their shell to feed and excrete. The siphon, exposed, moving in the water, causes the striper to pay attention, rout into the bottom a bit if necessary or lucky enough to beat the clam to the punch and not let it squirt and scoot and get away. Mussels are too stupid for that; they just nest together and lay around.

I'd guess some/most of us have seen the abrasions on a striper's mouth and cheeks from routing around on the bottom for food - no?

Welcome Back, Chet ! :devil:

Penguin
03-20-2003, 04:19 PM
As some of you phlatz phishers may already know, to the dismay of the white bucket brigade, and to be one-with-the-fish, I've consumed my fair share of fresh dead bait...
Handz down...fresh clams are d'best!!! (I plefer to take them outa' the shell...for obvious reasons)
sand lances not good...an aftertaste that'll chase away a back bay mugger...
isopods too small and they bite back...
shrimp too crunchy...although the right sauce makes all the difference...
crabs...see shrimp...
silversides/bunker/etc...not bad with chinese mustard!
Gimme' CLAMS anyday (on the half shell)!!!:hehe:

DFix
03-20-2003, 04:23 PM
With a bit of Scottish Mouthwash on the side, there, Potentate :smokin:

juro
03-20-2003, 04:37 PM
I've seen bass rooting and rooting and rooting right in front of me many, many times during the hours I've logged walking the shore with a flyrod and a good pair of polarized lenses. Althouh they often are, these fish were not after sand eels or shrimp or crabs, this I know. I suspected seaworms or clams thus the question. I'm convinced now, they do chow on shellfish in the round.

I have a few stories about sea worms and stripers too :eyecrazy:

DFix
03-20-2003, 04:42 PM
Oh, I forgot:

Striblue, Dblehaul, BigDave -

:razz: :razz: :razz:
;) ;) ;)

striblue
03-20-2003, 04:47 PM
OK....OK... So now I will come up with a Clam fly....love it... But condoms are out of the question. (must have mistaken it for a squid)

BigDave
03-20-2003, 04:49 PM
This thread is starting to sound like an old SNL skit:

"Baaaack when I was a child, we grubbed around in mud and rocks for condoms for dinner...and we LOVED it"

But what do I know?

One of the "young folks" (and lovin' every minute of it)

:razz:

striblue
03-20-2003, 04:51 PM
Well don't forget..Capt. Chet has made his bones for many years and if he says so....it's so.... by me.

juro
03-20-2003, 04:58 PM
I have absolutely no doubt in what Chet says. Years ago a guy whom I was introducing to fishing wanted to keep a 15# blue. When I gutted it for him there was a bent strip of galvanized metal about 7" long in it's gullet. I have no idea how it swallowed it but it did and it kept right on feeding. It looked like it fell into the water from a bridge construction project somewhere!

BigDave
03-20-2003, 05:14 PM
I think I may have been misinterpreted. I don't doubt that stripers eat anything and everything available to them. Just trying to understand how it works.

The SNL thing was just a joke in reply to Fix's 6-headed beast of a post :hehe: Don't dish it out if you cant' take it!

:D

Dble Haul
03-20-2003, 05:53 PM
I also have long believed that stripers will feed on clams....I was just taking another opportunity to make fun of myself.

Fait accompli! :p

Bob Pink
03-20-2003, 08:17 PM
Gawd!
Ain't none of you guys got a bait-slinging bone in your body? Striblue, I've seen those surf rods in your rafters, you tellin' me you were just tossin' plugs?

A toughened up clam with w/ a rubber band to hold it onto a nice 6/0 bait hook will draw bass from far & wide. Great bait for the surf. Even better after a strong blow that has stirred up the bottom and exposed all them big surf clams, kinda whet's a bass's appetite for clams.

Oh well, won't work as a fly anyhow as they find it by scent. Now, would someone please pass the pogie oil? :razz:

caveman out....

juro
03-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Bob's onto something striblue - we haven't tied a chunk fly yet! :devil:

kush
03-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Now I've only made one trip to the Cape, but does that mean that on my next one I will see Striblue out there in the midst of the cruddy boat brigade digging for models :eyecrazy:

Or worse, if they are half as realistic as those crab flies, will I have to stay away from the clammers because they will be after my fly :eek:

striblue
03-20-2003, 09:50 PM
Dave...I am glad you dished it to Fix...he need that... Bob is probably right about the odor, ...but I will try a crab fly and sell it to guys from the west coast when the come to the cape:devil: 'Hey Tyler... look here..a clam fly...we use em all the time..$10 bucks though and don't tell anyone where you got it ..Ok".... also... I don't recall surf rods in my rafters..:rolleyes: :hehe: Stay tuned for two new flys.. a clam and a chunk Mack.

ssully
03-20-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by juro
Bob's onto something striblue - we haven't tied a chunk fly yet! :devil:

And I get ostracized for sluggos. Sigh!:confused: :D

DFix
03-21-2003, 09:53 AM
All a yiz can follow along in the slimy gurry trail from my bait bucket - cuz I ain't no just floozie feather flinger. I can chuck a chunk as good as the next schoolie keepin' ditch rat!!! (how's that for terrible use of the english language) :whoa:

Capt. (Grumpy) Hathaway, FishingNinja and Phlatz Pothenthate! - thank you for your support (now, about that endorsement deal we discussed...) :smokin:

Dave: I started laughing way before I got to your SNL mention. :D

Bob: it's kinda scary wondering if the collar ties will hold all that gear overhead for much longer, much less all the hats :eek:

kush: remember, the challenge originated with the antagonist known as "He Who Ties Versions of Bottom-Feeding Scavengers" :rolleyes:

DbleHaul (or is it Ming? :eek: ) you do this just to keep it going; I know your type ! :chuckle: (just make sure your passport and shots are up to date )

And, finally, Master Scissorhandz -

You completely forgot the ancient, sacred mantra... :tsk_tsk:

Dble Haul
03-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Dave....

I resemble that remark. :D

Oh, and time for some new material. :razz: :o :devil: