Cape Spring Kickoff [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cape Spring Kickoff

FredA
03-19-2003, 12:06 PM
Brought this up a while back.. Guess it's time to bring it back to the top.

So who's up for some social fishin to start the season.

Weekends of May 3 and May 17 look viable for me.

May 3rd would probably mean the southside estuaries

May 17 could be anywhere.

I can put up a few people and I hear Area Sixty One can also.

Among other options are the Anchorage and Nickerson.

So should we make a plan?

jfbasser
03-19-2003, 12:19 PM
I have both weekends open Fred! Your chosen dates straddle my Bass tournaments perfectly so I can be gone every weekend for the entire month of May.:D

BigDave
03-19-2003, 12:32 PM
Great idea!

May 3rd would be good for me - will be trout fishing on the Letort over the weekend of the 17th :D

striblue
03-19-2003, 12:46 PM
CAC will be open... and either date is good for me but it may be one day each weekend since I have high School sports to attend...

Nick
03-19-2003, 02:52 PM
Sounds good to me as well. I should be able to do at least one of the days on either weekend.

Nick

juro
03-19-2003, 03:03 PM
Nick -

Are you down in the tropics or back home now?

I am out for May 17-18th but can do the earlier weekend and last weekend.

Nick
03-19-2003, 04:07 PM
I'm back. I'll write up a little report when I get a chance. Short Story shorter...Saw more Tarpon than I've ever seen before. Saw a Permit for the first time. Saw a couple bonefish. Hooked some Barracuda. Nothing else liked my selection. Other Fauna included...Nurse Sharks, Lemon Sharks, Spotted Eagle Rays, Pods of Dolphins, Manatees, Roseated Spoonbills, Egrets, Herons, and a Everglades National Park Ranger. All of this always in less than 7 feet of water. The Keys are amazing. I just gotta figure out how to catch their fish.

Nick

Doc Duprey
03-19-2003, 04:09 PM
I'd love to join the gang for either weekend. Things should be under way down here, but it would be good to get back to the Far Side after the winter we've had. Count me in!

Best regards,

-Doc

FredA
03-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Looks like we have a quorum. 3 or 4 people is enough for me to get a honeydo pass on something I instigated. Now the date. At this point I like the weekend of the 3rd. Good way to break out of this winter funk and I ain't going to get much chance to fish before then.

What's the preference and can we set a date?

juro
03-19-2003, 08:27 PM
17th will be better fishing if stats from past years are considered. I will be in Oregon "on business" or it would take wild horses to drag me off the cape.

What about the 10th? Oh yeah! Mother's Day weekend.

Fish should be holding in southside river mouths, certain estuaries should have fish in them, and the migrants would have probably taken the first turn rather than the big one at the elbow; and those who missed it would be tucked up inside a more "pleasant" location. The waters around Area61 should be holding their usual spring push, as the commercial guys who start in April will tell you. Craigville and South Cape can be pretty explosive in early May, Poppy gets some good early fish as does Wianno and Cotuit. If we get any boaters in the mix the herring on the far side should attract some big fish provided the migration has reached that area. If all else fails we can all drive back to Rhody ;)

I guess it all depends on water temps. Length of days is constant but water temps may need a little tweak this spring for a good outing on the 3rd. Keep the fingers crossed!

FishHawk
03-20-2003, 05:48 AM
The 17 would be good for me as I'm off that week. The 3rd would also work ,count me in. FishHawk

FishHawk
03-20-2003, 05:58 AM
Just remembered. There is a big Kayak demo weekend on the 17th at the Goose Hummock. We could do both on that weekend. Something to think about. FishHawk:chuckle:

jfbasser
03-20-2003, 07:46 AM
Both weekends are still open for me...

bcasey
03-20-2003, 08:07 AM
I think Juro;s right. The 17th will provide great fishing while the 3rd could be touch and go. However, I'll be there whenever we decide.

Adrian
03-20-2003, 08:33 AM
May 17th is an annual Kayak fling over on the "fabled" Esopus Flats (Hudson). Any later date and I'll be up!

BigDave
03-20-2003, 09:08 AM
3rd is still best for me.

flyfreak
03-20-2003, 11:02 AM
I'm game for the 3rd of May....
just let me know the details !

JimW
03-20-2003, 10:12 PM
I'm up for at least a day trip either weekend but would lean toward the later date. If Ray puts another Icebreaker together it might fall close to the 1st part of May.

Slinger
03-21-2003, 01:29 AM
Jim, earlier, thinking along the first weekend of April for "Industrial fishing". April 6 or 7, midday low, temp. should be good by then. April 12 is the Rhody trout opener. Gonna give it a shot this weekend, but I think I`m just wishin`.
Slinger

seuss
03-21-2003, 10:59 PM
I'm in.

I don't care when. I'll be there.

FredA
03-23-2003, 04:14 PM
The weekend of the third could be early given the cold winter but IMHO the weather over the next month will be more of an influence than the past three. Poking around Herring river, Bass River, etc, with kayaks could be interesting. If the fishing is not so hot it's a good chance to do a lot of scouting.

The weekend of the 17th has obvious appeal.

Anybody that's interested in this get together shoot me an e'mail at fabrahamso@aol.com so I can start a mailing list.

striblue
03-23-2003, 04:24 PM
Fred.. I think you were on the list last year for the last Rip Trip that got rained out...so I am thinking that we do the first maybe last weekend of May...But I will post later.

FredA
03-26-2003, 07:28 AM
Seeing that there is some ambivilance with regard to date and several people can only make the weekend of the 3rd I'm going to pick the the weekend of May 3. Looks like about 10 to 15 participants. If you havn't done so send me those e'mail addresses. Flame away.

Adrian
03-26-2003, 08:53 AM
The May 3rd week-end would work for me.

Yak sorties on Pleasant Bay anyone? :D

Slinger
03-26-2003, 05:44 PM
May 3 should be good for me, count me in.
Slinger

Doc Duprey
03-26-2003, 09:45 PM
I'm up for a road trip to the Far Side for the 3rd. Yak will be on board.

Best regards,

-Doc

FishHawk
03-27-2003, 05:49 AM
The 3rd looks good. I'll be there possibly with a friend. FishHawk:D

jfbasser
03-27-2003, 04:46 PM
The 3 rd looks good!:smokin:

JimW
03-28-2003, 07:57 AM
I've got the kiddie fishing derby on the 3rd so I won't make it for the morning blitz. I'll try to get down there either Saturday evening or Sunday.

Chris
03-28-2003, 01:27 PM
I can't make it for the 3rd. Wish I could but I will be down soon. It's looking like shoulder surgery for me. hope fully it won't interfere too much. It will be on my stripping arm not my casting one so I should be in good shape by the peak of things. I expect it to happen mid April. I hope to get a camp site for a long Memorial Day weekend, Friday - Tuesday. Luck to all who venture out on the 3rd though.

doogue
03-28-2003, 11:37 PM
Chris,

I think I am going to fish the Cape on Tuesday and Wednesday after Memorial Day. If you will be around on that Tuesday then we should meet up.

Good luck with the shoulder.

-Mike

Chris
04-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Hey Mike,
Great to here from you. I'll need to book a camp site on the cape- pronto. You should try to meet me in Portland sometime in June and I'll take you up to Fort Popham. We had some outrageous night fishing last June . You could try some of your night theorys on them. It made for a few long days at work but when cows are using your legs to trap bait it's hard to go home. Maybe we should plan a Joppa run in the not too distant future.

doogue
04-01-2003, 11:10 PM
It all sounds good to me Chris.

You can bet that I will be hitting Joppa around May 15th. I do every year to get the skunk off.

Take care,

Mike

striblue
04-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Fred... I e-mailed you, your PM box is full... I would like to plan on getting the back room at the Chatham Squire for dinner one of the evenings after we fish... we gcan go out again after dinner... but maybe we can get Juro to bring his new projector and we can have a slide show of ALL of Juros slides while we have dinner... If we get close to a definite on the weekend I will get the back room.