First Trip of the Year [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: First Trip of the Year

Brad
03-18-2003, 09:56 AM
A friend and I had our first fishing trip of the year up on the North Platte in WY. The male fish are starting to show their spawning colors and some of the females were fat with eggs. The fishing is not great yet, we landed about 50 fish between the two of us. We caught most on midge pupa and emergers, RS-2, miracle, black beauty, barbed wire and Yong’s size 20-22, we did not have to resort to the small stuff. We also hooked a few of SJ worms, and scuds. I only picked up one fish that went 5-6. I worked him for maybe 5 min and almost had him in. He saw me and high tailed it over a small falls breaking my 6 lb tippit like it was 7X. No fish over 20” were landed but we both caught fat males right at 20” that went about 2-3. I took my worst dunking yet on Sunday. I was fishing a deep channel standing waist deep on some slippery boulders. I got my foot stuck between some rocks, lost my balance, spun around and landed back first in the channel. I started floating in the 38 F water with only my head and feet visible. I crawled out of the channel, swallowed my pride and headed back to the truck for a beer and dry clothes.

Dble Haul
03-18-2003, 10:00 AM
Nice report.....I'll take some of that "not so great" fishing in your area any day! :p

SDHflyfisher
03-18-2003, 04:27 PM
only 50 between the two of you a good day for me is about 10 fish in the little spring creeks that i fish

Brad
03-19-2003, 09:44 AM
We fished from 10:00 until 7:00 saturday and from 6:30 to 2:00 sunday. That is about 30 hours of fishing so 50 fish is only an average of 1.5 fish an hour. There were days last year when you easily caught 50 fish a day per person without trying very hard. It is a much different fishery from the waters back east where I learned to fish. I hope that the water situation improves this year and that they maintain minimum flows to maintain the fishery.

John Desjardins
03-22-2003, 01:22 AM
Brad you did better than me. I never made it to the stream after my flight. Hopefully this weeks snows will help the flows.