Clear line questions [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Clear line questions

flyfisha1
03-17-2003, 12:25 PM
Hi All,
I'm looking for a new line for my 3-wt. this year, and am toying around with a clear floating line, specifically the Monic All-Weather Clear line. I tend to fish dry terrestrial patterns (such as flying ants) most of the time, and fish both upstream and downstream, making casts in the realm of 30-70 feet, depending upon my proximity to the rising fish. I should also note that most of these fish wind up to be sunfish, not trout (which are a tad elusive around this area).

Two questions:
1. Has anyone used this fly line, and if so, how clear is it and what are your thoughts on it?
2. Leader length: is it as important? I was thinking that a 9' (or even shorter) leader with a clear floating line might be safe compared to an opaque floating line and longer leader.

I certainly hope that I don't step on anyone's toes by making an inquiry into trout fishing with clear lines; I realize that some people would view that as sacrilege, but with all of the rain and nasty weather we've been getting, I'm spending more time looking at tackle than I should! Wishful thinking! TIA for any advice offerred...

BigDave
03-17-2003, 03:28 PM
Chris,

I'm just curious why you're looking for a clear line to cast to sunfish? I fish some pretty heavily pressured waters for midging trout here and have never had a problem with a regular yellow floater.

Most fish spook because of the disturbance made by the line hitting the water - clear or otherwise. Leader length will remain the same. 9-10ft for about 99% of my fishing with a dry line.

I can see the application for a clear subsurface line if you're casting to crusing schools of fish, but a high-viz floater is actually an advantage for most FW uses. You can see the drag in your drift, use it as a strike indicator, etc. I currently have a "stealth gray" line on my 4wt and when it dies I will go back to a more visible color.

Of course if you simply want to try the Monic, by all means give it a shot and let us know how you like it. :D

flyfisha1
03-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Just wanted a change of pace from the norm; I, too, have the stealth gray line on my 5 wt. (SA XPS line). The main reason that I was considering the clear line is that, often times, I find that I line fish I didn't know were there... until they rise a few minutes after I've made the cast. I figure that a clear line will at the least minimize the impact that lining the fish would have; even though they can probably see the clear line or some aspect of it (i.e. drag, shadow, etc.), they're much less likely to spook than if a bright line was to drift over head. This is, of course, assuming that they have learned the lessons of chasing a tasty morsel located somewhere near a long, bright, skinny thing drifting along with the current.
I actually don't rely on the line as a strike indicator, but rather watch the fly on the water. I have yet to learn the art of nymph fishing and so don't know how much of a factor line visibility plays when fishing in that manner.

BigDave
03-17-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by flyfisha1
This is, of course, assuming that they have learned the lessons of chasing a tasty morsel located somewhere near a long, bright, skinny thing drifting along with the current.[/B]

Never underestimate the stupidity of a Sunfish! I hooked one on a 2/0 banger bass fishing last summer. How the thing managed to get the point in it's mouth is still a mystery to me....

John Desjardins
03-22-2003, 07:39 PM
From way back in the archives look at http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1775
I haven't tried one myself preferring a longer leader.

flyfisha1
03-22-2003, 08:07 PM
John - Thanks, I had seen that thread. Bob D said the line seemed a bit heavy for slower action rods, however my 3-wt. is very fast action, being built around an 8'6" SCIV blank. That being the case, I think the rod could easily handle the line. Because I don't use the line as a strike indicator, and rarely have to mend line, I don't think that the fact that the line is clear would have any negative impact on my presentation. Still, I haven't made up my mind yet, I may decide to stick with a high-vis line again this year. I did fairly well last year with a bright line; perhaps if I excercise a little more patience on the water to observe all of the fish rising in a stretch before I step in, I'll increase my catch. ;)

John Desjardins
03-22-2003, 08:41 PM
I remembered Bobs report for his statement that he kept track of the line by watching the shadow on the bottom of the stream. If its throwing a shadow it is blocking the sunlight, and a fish could see the line. Just something that stuck in my memory.