Wilmington [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wilmington

striblue
03-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Just back from two days and left Adrian with Juro to breakdown the booth... Sean and friend along with Adrian showed up yesterday to help set up... Saw alot of familiar faces....We sold a lot of tickets for the raffles...FredA and his wife showed up along with Dave Fix and Joan, Slinger, Gerry, Sprocket, Bob Pink, Shadfreak,The "Penguin", Big Dave, Quentin, Eddie, Dominec, and Bardy....I am sure I missed a couple , but still under the weather with this flu... I missed the Clave but it sounds like a report will come from Juro or someone and I understand a couple Temple Fork Reps. showed up..but I will leave that to a more detailed report... Had a great conversation with Bob Popovic and we traded flies and he really encouraged me with the feather Brain. Jay Horton stopped by with Photo's and Lefty Kreh tought the FB would make a great Snook fly. Capt.Bob Hines and Capt.Ray S along with Capt.Bill Strackel (Spell) spent time at the booth. I guess I missed a good dinner last night and now that the shows are over...on to some soon to be fishing. The Booth was another success and we had a lot of stops from a number of people and may have some new members signing up. Here are some photo's... Bob Pink and Adrian.

striblue
03-16-2003, 04:43 PM
Big Dave and Sprocket:

striblue
03-16-2003, 04:43 PM
Pete and Gerry:

striblue
03-16-2003, 04:44 PM
The Booth and Juro:

striblue
03-16-2003, 04:45 PM
The Booth and Juro...let me try that again....

striblue
03-16-2003, 04:49 PM
A Feather Brain picture taken by Juro.

Bob Pink
03-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Hi there John, great to see the Forum (im)famous when I stopped by yesterday. Hope you beat the flu bug soon. Booth traffic was excellent again and the message continues to spread. Kudos to all who invested their sweat and talents to make it happen.

juro
03-16-2003, 07:22 PM
It was a great show, always fun to see the faces again, some who we won't see until next year - others we we'll see soon on the water.

Special thanks to those who gave their time to assemble, represent, promote, teach, and generally bring high spirits to our humble booth.

With the long days and spring on the horizon, we'll soon stop BS'ing about it and get down to business.

Pictures and full report to come... right now I need to unload the truck and crack open a cold one.

neac9
03-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Had a great time at the show it is alway a pleasure to watch good ppl interact with others over a topic they have a passion for.
John thank you for the lesson and the laughs supplied by yourself and Pete. Juro cant wait to hit the water with you guys It will be an honor and an experience Im sure the laughs may even surpass the fish but heres hopeing not. Once again thanks for a good day. Adrian good luck next weekend may you strech your line deep into the backing.

FredA
03-17-2003, 04:46 AM
It was good to see everyone Saturday and great to work out the kinks at the kasting klave. Now, if the weather cooperates, it's time to attack the spring chores and carve out some time for fishing in May and June.

John, hope you're feeling better.

Sprocket
03-17-2003, 06:33 AM
I'm sorry I wasn't more involved with the booth & BB but other commitments etc...Just hanging around was great craic though.

I particularly enjoyed seeing John start a Feather Brain but I wished I had seen the second half - I'm sure there's a few tricks to be learned.

Big Dave & Juro - thanks much for the help on leaders. I picked up a few for the trip. A full report upon return (with pic's hopefully).

The Casting Clave was another "I wish I could've stayed longer" - Jay, I'll ping you soon - nice hood ornament, you've got the job.

This week at work promises to be a full one and it's time to think about packing up the house as discussions are moving forward...I'm gonna be busy before ol' Mr. Pajamas gets here...

Nose to the grindstone,
TMS

juro
03-17-2003, 07:28 AM
Per leaders - I thought more about it and Dave's recommendation was excellent but there's more to the story which is where my hesitation was coming from.

For a vacation fishing diversion, it's not worth buying a versitip system or making one up. but if you were to make a season of it, you'd be lost without one. I wish I still had my single-handed hybrid lines to have you try over there, all my lines for steelhead are now Spey.

On the other hand it's really simple to make one. Just take a reasonably cheap FWF line, measure back 15' from the tip, and CUT IT. Yes, cut it. Put a loop on both sides, then put it back together to recover from the trauma of cutting it.

Then go buy a 30' STS type IV, which is a tapered shooting head line. Measure back 13' and cut that. Loop both sides of the cut, and then put each on the back loop of the flyline and try casting it. It will cast great and you will have three tips just like that:

1) floating, which you can use with the poly leader optionally
2) 13' light duty sinking tip
3) 17' dredger

Where I am coming from is since getting addicted to steelhead in '79 "sinktip" has come to mean effective hybrid head systems for spey rods that bring large swimming winter steelhead flies into the correct column for a teasing variation of the atlantic salmon swing.

My experiences with poly leaders has been that they pull the fly down just a little bit more than a mono leader in any kind of current but fairly deep in a slow current... but nowhere near a sinktip in any current at all.

I tried them on a 2.5' deep ocean flat, high noon sun, moderate tide current to see if it would help put crab flies down on the sand better than an intermediate clear line and I could barely tell the difference between the two. If I had a hybrid sink system it would have only been surpassed by the use of a full sinking head like a 325 grain Deep sea, etc. But stripers don't like seeing all that black clothes line on the flats. There are some salmon pools where they would be ideal, even slower current / holding pools, to cut under a riffle in a shallow rocky glade, etc. But for general cold water depth fishing I have my doubts.

Another option is use of weighted flies, or sparse flies in summer. I rarely if ever fish a weighted steelhead (salmon) fly, so I use the column of the line to lead the fly through the preferred column (sinktip). I think there is a lot of merit to adding some weight to certain flies whose bulk creates much resistance, like the Intruder. But this just improves the way it swims unlike weighted flies for dead-drifting, etc. Many salmon anglers, who are all "swingers", use brass tube flies to bring the fly deeper in fast deep runs in cold water. The use of full sink lines is much more prevalent in Europe as well. I doubt I would find myself going to full sink and brass tube fishing, although when in Rome...

The Great Lakes guys I've watched during my own trips out there are primarily "drifters" with a few swingers in the mix. In drifting the fly is almost always weighted, sometimes even the leader. The line does not need to sink at all with a long leader. That really gets the fly on their noses effectively, but it lacks the excitement of a big grab on a swum fly for me, to each his/her own.

If I have a chance, I will see if I can whip up a hybrid system for you to try. What rod weight are you bringing over?

BigDave
03-17-2003, 08:45 AM
Nice seeing all of you at the show on saturday. Juro waving around the spey rod, John behind the vise (surprise) and meeting Quentin and Sprocket were some memories that come to mind. Adrian, wish I had more time to talk but I had to get front row seating to watch Bob Pop's working his magic on a spread fly and Ultra Shrimp!

Sprocket - I remembered I have a 6wt sink tip that I don't use anymore (don't carry extra spools when trout fishing). You're welcome to borrow it for your trip if you like.

Look forward to wetting a line will all of you at some point this season.

Dave

Eddie
03-17-2003, 09:42 AM
good to see everyone. Can't wait to get back out on the water.
Juro, good post. A small taiste of all the good information available on the steelhead/spey side. Good cross pollination. Maybe Sean could install a random post placer where one out of every 20 posts goes somewhere else:hehe:

Jimmy
03-18-2003, 12:52 PM
It sounds like another great time. Wish I could have joined you for a couple days for companionship and casting but I'm still doing the recovery thing. My Doc said go but my wife said no. I should be ready to go in time for the spring clave. :devil: Did some one say clave?????

Sprocket
03-18-2003, 04:13 PM
I'm taking the 8# & 6# (I may got to the 9 because it's my rod not hers - so maybe all 3 are coming...) I've got a floater & sink-tips for each. I also have 200gr, 250gr, 300gr & 350 gr lines, a type VI for the 9 (which is about a 250gr according to the research I did). I'm a little undecided what to bring - I'm trying to travel light...but not so light I don't the right gear.

Juro - Thanks much for the offer - we're heading out on the 27th so if you don't get it together, no worries.

BD - Cool, thanks also - see the above 27th comment

Eddie - that random dealie would be a hoot!

Ah deadlines, is there anything they can't ruin?

Adrian
03-18-2003, 04:56 PM
Todd, this link has some good data on the region where you'll be including info on the famous Duckfly (a.k.a Black Midge) hatch, and some trad style patterns.

http://www.anglingwest.com/Corrib/when_where/When_Where.htm

Many years ago I remember an article on this hatch. At times, the male midges will swarm around an egg-laying female and create a frenetic "ball" of wings, bodies and legs tumbling across the water surface. Needless to say, this drives the trout absolutley nuts! A nice bushy (palmered) fly will generally elicit the desired response ;)

Can't wait to hear all about it!

Sprocket
03-19-2003, 07:46 AM
Thanks Adrian - I also remember our conversation - The gov't runs a board for each area and I've got it bookmarked for sure. I haven't seen the one you reccomended before but will research at lunch.

I'll be relying on a certain amount of local knowledge and anticipate reverse psychology...

Getting excited to wet a line again!