Wanted - 100 FLIES for raffle [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wanted - 100 FLIES for raffle

JimW
03-13-2003, 03:27 PM
I'd like to get a raffle together for the MSBA show (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?threadid=10233) . The goal is to get ~100 saltwater flies together for the raffle.

If you can help out please respond to this thread. If everyone can throw a few into the pot we'll get there easily.

Juro can pick them up at the Wilmington show and casting clave or you can mail them to me. Anyone interested in mailing them please PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Hawkeye
03-13-2003, 04:59 PM
Jim,

I'll do a few flatwings. As you get close to the date and if it looks like you wont make the 100 goal let me know. I'll spin up a bunch of clousers - not a pretty fly but they work very well and they are a snap to tie.

juro
03-13-2003, 05:04 PM
I'm good for 10 at least Jim, THANKS!!

Hawkeye
03-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Along the lines of my last post I would be willing to host a mini tying group at my office in Scituate. This could be done in the evening or on a weekend day. I can accomodate probably 10 tiers comfortably. We could whip out 100 in no time.

JimW
03-13-2003, 06:19 PM
Gregg,

The mini tying group sounds great.
Let's get some feedback on that. Who's up for what days or evening?

I wish I had given everyone more notice but let's everyone try this visualization.

You're putting your gear together for a trip to Monomoy tomorrow.

Now don't pay any attention to the fact that the harbors are frozen. What we need here is some positive thinking, perhaps some hallucinating.

Try thinking of something like this.

The forcast for tomorrow at Chatham is 72F, wind SW 5kts, seas FAC, ceiling - there isn't one, visibility as far as your polarized shades can penetrate into the crystal clear water.

But Wait, my flies, where are my flies, they're gone. Oh no, better hit the bench.

Quentin
03-13-2003, 11:11 PM
Jim,

I'll tie up a few flies but they won't be done in time for the Wilmington Show/Casting Clave so I'll have to mail them to you. Let me know where to send them.

Q

juro
03-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Jim -

Under those circumstances who needs a bench? That's what a clamp vise and the steering wheel is for!

Think I am kidding? :devil:

Juro

Adrian
03-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Who needs a vice anyway? :devil:

Remember the old time ghillies whipped up some pretty tasty Atlantic Salmon patterns on the banks of the river whilst their clients executed flawless double speys. Legend has it, that's how the "Thunder-and-Lightning" was created.

You only need to be able to make a 1/2 hitch ;)

Jim, I'll do a bit of rumaging - should be able to make a contribution - see you at the show!

JimW
03-15-2003, 09:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the help on this. We must be about 1/2 way there now counting offline posts.

As with fishing, presentation is everything. The shadow boxes are great but I'm thinking low cost. I'm going to try to put together a fly tree to catch the eye show attendees.

Pictures will be forthcoming.

Thanks again to everyone.

Gregg, getting the tying group together might be tough on short notice but it sound like a good time if you want to set something up even after the show.

BirdFish
03-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Jim,
I gave Juro 2 dozen flies yesterday to give to you.
Dave Williams

JimW
03-17-2003, 10:36 AM
Dave, Thanks for the flies.

Steve, Your dontation put us closer to the goal. You tie some great stuff, those silly skin chovies look like a great alternative to the epoxy rhody chovie and will save the albies a trip to the dentist :hehe:
Thanks again.

JimW
03-19-2003, 07:25 AM
I got John D's in the mail. Looking good John. Thanks again.

JimW
03-21-2003, 09:09 PM
I got Q's today. Looking real good.

juro
03-22-2003, 07:54 AM
Heading out the door with Dave Williams' 24 killer striper flies in hand! See you at the show in a little while Jim, thanks for taking charge on this event.