Milford Conn. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Milford Conn.

jimS
03-12-2003, 10:14 AM
I have known for awhile that relatives have a summer place just off the water in Milford, Conn., that is seldom used. It has been hard to get away from the Cape because of the excellent striper fishing; however, I plan to be at the Milford location toward the end of April.

Without divulging any "hotspots," can anyone quantify the striper fishing in that locale for a wade fisherman?

thanks,

Simms

Dble Haul
03-12-2003, 11:16 AM
I can recommend two spots for wade fishing: Gulf Beach/Pond and the mouth of the Housatonic at the Audubon bird sactuary. Both spots have their moments and offer stripers, blues, and hickory shad.

I've had better luck at Gulf Beach/Pond on an incoming tide, and the opposite tide is a winner at the Housatonic.

steelheadmike
03-12-2003, 12:08 PM
Well lets see.

You have Short Beach just to your South/West ( mouth of Housie )

West Haven Sand Bar ( exit in the high 30's or low 40's I believe )

Jennings Beach ( exit 21 )
Pennsfield Reef ( exit 21 )
Sherwood Island ( exit 18 )

There are pleanty of GREAT options up there. There is another beach that I can't for the life of me remember the name of in the Milford Area.

The above mentioned spots are pretty darn good and only a short 10-20 minute drive from Milford. I highly recommend them all. I fish almost all of them through out the season and they are all good producers.

jimS
03-13-2003, 09:04 AM
Thanks Double Haul and Steelheadmike. Sounds like there are a lot of opportunities in the Milford area. I'll keep you posted on my exploits in that area.

Simms

steelheadmike
03-13-2003, 09:14 AM
Jim,

When do you plan on heading to the Milford area? If you would like I could meet you up that way at a diner or something and show you some of the area as well as a few " Hot Spots "

Striper
03-14-2003, 12:39 PM
Hey Jim,
I live in Milford and I have a boat:) I have taken several guy's from this site out in the boat last year to fish for Albies and we had a pretty good time, some even got into their first Albies. You would be more than welcome to join me for a day on the water in April and i can show you some of the better spots to fish from shore around the area. The Housatonic is prime in April as it gets one of the best early season bass runs on the CT. coast. I have fished this river for many years every spring and have caught alot of fish both from shore and from the boat. I have some spots up river that are very good and I would be happy to brng you along for a try at some early season bass on the river. The Milford area does not compare to the Cape in any way shape or form but it has it's moments and can be very productive at certain times of the season, April being one of them. You can email me striper@optonline.net and we can talk more about it if you like. I just started a new job in retail so I should have some weekdays off that will be real good for fishing the river and surrounding areas. The weekends are probably going to be tough unfortunately.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

steelheadmike
03-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Mike,

Let me know when you go. I will be dragging the boat up that way alot! My girlfriends sister lives in Milford right down the road from the beach. I can see Milford point from their house.

jimS
03-16-2003, 05:51 PM
Steehleadmike and Striper: The current plan is to be in the Milford area 25 April - 2 May. I'm flexible, and if that is not a good time to be there, let me know. I do appreciate your responses along with Double Haul. As the time approaches, we can talk off-line.

Thanks again for the info!

Simms

Quentin
03-16-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by jimS
. . . The current plan is to be in the Milford area 25 April - 2 May. I'm flexible, and if that is not a good time to be there, let me know. . . .

Simms

Jim: That should be good timing for that area. I got my first flyrod stripers there on April 30 of last year :D

I may just have to take a ride down there and try again this year!

Q

steelheadmike
03-17-2003, 09:13 AM
Come one and all!! Sniff Sniff... do I smell a spring Mini Clave on the CT coast?