tube flys [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: tube flys

Eddie
03-10-2003, 10:51 PM
what kind of hooks do people use for bigger tube flys?

DFix
03-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Trebles; Trebles with one cut off so the leftovers lay port/starboard for balance; larger singles with O'Shaughnessy bends into the 'ought' sizes; an idea comes to mind the Varivas style bend, almost a "D" shape, would be quite versatile in tube use. IMO, YMMV.

p.s. - don't forget about reviewing states' guidelines per hooks in the water at any one time, regarding multiple points.

juro
03-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Eddie - if you pose this question in the steelhead board you will likely get flooded with replies.

Most tube fly hooks nowadays are straight-eye short shank so that they fit into the soft tubing that bridges the end of the tube with the hook.

The preferred single hook for tubes out west is a beak point, which seems to resist dulling on river stones.

A lighter wire version of the TMC 800s would be ideal IMHO, unless you like the hvy wire as it is.

Durability of hooks is moot with tube flies, you simply discard them and tie on a fresh one. Stainless hooks are unnecessary.

I've fished several saltwater tube patterns and whether for pacific coho or eastern gamefish the degree of freedom provided by a short shanked hook is far superior in holding onto fish over a solid shank hook of the same length fly dressing.

One concern w/ tubes for stripers is the location of the hook. You can fish a 12" fly with a 1" hook up front and still hook the striper. If you tie a 12" tube fly, the hook will be at the back end. I'm sure this would not affect things too much but it is going to change the way the point sticks in the lip.

kush
03-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Juro,

You can still tie a 12" tube fly and have the hook 1" from the head - just use a short tube. That is what I do even with my salmon bucktails, when I want the hook back near the tail as with traditional trolling flies I just tie a tandem hook-up a la mooching.

Eddie
03-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the replys. The hooks that are normally recomended are stubby little bait hooks. In the larger sizes they look like anchors. It seems that after a 0/2 the recomendations get slim.
Good idea with the treble. I have some of the Loop doubles but they are small. I don't see why a lrger on wouldn't work. I wonder if they would impede hook up. I would fish them barbless.
A lighter wire 800s would seem ideal.
I am experimenting with the Varvias hooks now. The shank is still a little longer than it needs to be.
Maybe a non offset circle would work.
I know what you mean regarding hook placement. I am just starting to mess around with this and there seem to be so many cool possibilities. Maybe a Swap next winter will be in order. Anyone else tying with tubes for the salt?

jimS
03-12-2003, 10:28 AM
I share the question on what type of hook to use with tube flies. While I'm new to this tying technique, the Tiemco 600SP appears to be a good hook for the larger saltwater tube flies. It is 2x short, wide gape and straight eye. The downside is that the smallest size available is 1/0.

In reviewing some of the posts on the Pacific side, short shank bait hooks seem to be preferred.

As an aside, large crease flies, bait patterns tied in the round, and slab side bait patterns lend themselves to this technique. Eel patterns on multiple tubes is another concept worth pursuing.

A tube fly swap would be interesting.

Simms

DFix
03-12-2003, 12:13 PM
In re: hooks - as previously mentioned, some, if not most, seem to lean toward using short-shank singles. I'm sure every manufacturer makes some version of a short-shank whatever. That being the case, give a look at the Mustad Signature Series, or the Varivas 990. Both makes are available in szs. 1,2,4,6,8, etc. I've already used up two boxes of Mustad just in swap flies; I could be accused of hoarding my Varivas for "best" - I like the Varivas for design, finish, strength, sharpness.

If/when I do anything tube related, I'll debate which to use.