Line weight for sage 596 xp [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Line weight for sage 596 xp


trouter
03-09-2003, 12:47 AM
I just bought a sage 596xp and was not sure if i should go up one line weight to a 6?

DEERHAAWK
03-10-2003, 12:43 AM
Good evening,
Sage's XP has 4- 5 weight models, yours being the longest at 9'6", but to load it with 6 for regular use, IMHO would be a mistake. Pick up an extra reel spool and have a 6 weight to use in a pinch, mabye. Look at the percentage of fishing that you do, your type of quarry. If you are like me, you will find that a high percentage (85% in my case) of your overall fishing will be covered by a particular weight , for me it is 5. Therefore I stick with a 5 and perfect my performance with it. For larger fish and the other 15% of my fishing, I have a 7 weight. There is little that can be thrown at me that I can not handle with those 2 setups. You indeed spent some $$$ on this peice of equipment, Don't bog it down.
Deerhawk

John Desjardins
03-11-2003, 09:51 AM
I agree with Deerhawk to stick with the line that the rod is rated for when you first use it. The sole use I've found for overlining a rod in this weight range is if you need to throw short casts 70% or of the time when you are fishing. Since you have a 9''6" rod I dont think that would be the case.