McNeese's Pale Peril [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: McNeese's Pale Peril

pmflyfisher
03-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Fly Tyer: Flytyer (Russ)

Pattern: McNneese's Pale Peril

I fish this fly only in sizes # 5 and # 7, Aleck Jackson Spey Hook and only fish it during late summer/fall, mid august through mid November. It is a very good fly in the morning but it is not good for afternoon/evening fishing. Also it works very well on dark gray days that have a light rain falling all day long.

I have found the fly to work only in the softer water just above the tail out on into the tail out of a pool. At the head of the run, in the riffled water, it has not produced any fish for my friends or myself.

I fish it exclusively on a floating line with a leader of 12 feet to 16 feet long and no weight added to leader or fly. It fishes in the top foot or less of the water column and I have found that to be ideal for it to induce strikes. Also, I purposely allow a bit of a downstream belly to form in the line in order to let the fly move a bit faster than the current in these slow, smooth water areas I find it productive.

To tie the fly, all one has to do is follow the tying sequence as laid out in the following pattern recipe:

Hook: Alec Jackson Spey #5 or #&, Partridge Bartleet in #4 to # 8 is OK
Thread: Purple started where just in front of where the hook return touches the shank
Tag: Flat silver tinsel
Tail: Red hackle fibers or red dyed Golden Pheasant Crest
Body: Purple braided mylar
Ribbing: Small oval silver
Wing: White arctic fox, polar bear, calf tail, or Yak, followed by UV pearl krystal flash (not more than 5 strands, 4 is best) on top of he white hair
Hackle: Purple, tied as collar, over the wing buts, long (oversized) about 6 or 7 turns, tie off on bottom of hook
Over wing: Purple bucktail, calf tail, arctic fox, polar bear, or Yak.
Head: purple

Following the tying sequence of the pattern recipe provides the tying directions. At the head of the fly, place a drop of fleximent, over the butts of the over wing, cover them with 6 or 7 wraps of thread and then whip finish over these wraps. This produces a nice small head that has a lot of strength.