Boneclave Question: shifts or ad lib? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Boneclave Question: shifts or ad lib?

juro
08-13-2001, 01:42 PM
On Sunday we have a few more people than open seats on boats so there are a few ways we can deal with this:

a) run shifts where some people fish the Wacky jetties and switch mid-day with others on boats

b) people bring their yaks and canoes and fish the jetties and surrounding areas, and are hosted the next day

c) recruit more boats!

So I guess in simplified terms I mean do mid-day shift changes or full day shift changes?

I volunteered for jetty duty both years and it was awesome fishing. Just look at the pictures of the action, those big schools of pogie were at my feet! I volunteer this year again.

I like the shift idea but it's hard to get people to come back to port mid-day when they are chasing fish, so it hasn't been very successful.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

(On Tuesday we have more seats than riders and Monday we are very close to even - TBD)

FredA
08-13-2001, 04:05 PM
Since I'm there for the duration I can be happy using the kayak Sunday - no need to work me onto a boat. Depending on how much stuff I bring I may need a frieght shuttle out to the site.

Fred A.

Lefty
08-13-2001, 04:19 PM
Since my boat is more limited to the inside unless it's FAC like last year I can shuttle 1 over to the jetty on Sunday in addition to fish one.
Ad lib tends to dominate each year. Some people might be way out by the Vineyard making a return mid-day tough. Others will be at Sucky Shoals and want to zip in for lunch. You could Ad-Lib a rotation then. I will be nearby either way and can rotate/help out.

Lefty

doogue
08-13-2001, 05:16 PM
I have a yak and I do not mind being on jetty duty on Sunday. I also won't lie: I would love to get out on some gracious person's boat over the course of the weekend! Still, if that doesn't happen then that is no big deal. I will be grateful to everyone involved either way.

Have yak, will travel...

Tod D
08-13-2001, 05:24 PM
While I'd love to get on a boat, I'll bring my canoe & would be more than happy to share it w/ someone else. Ok, ok, not entirely altruistic as I suspect I could use some rowing help on the way out to Washburn & then out to the beach...:-D

juro
08-13-2001, 05:30 PM
I'll bring a little craft as well, should be no problem getting a tow out to camp, jetties, etc. Tide doesn't always flow our way.

bcasey
08-13-2001, 05:38 PM
It's a long day, I would be happy to do shifts, It would be good to get as many out in the boats as we can. Also, a good idea to nock noggins as to the whereabouts of the stiff fish. I think that with two shifts during the day and possibly one more after dinner, for those who's arms are still attached, we could acomodate all willing and able. Just my opinion.

TinMan
08-13-2001, 05:42 PM
Since I'm only coming down for the day, I'll do the shore/jetty thing, no biggy.

Not to be a party-pooper but is the Sunday meet-up Tstorm or shine?

Roop
08-13-2001, 05:53 PM
I want to be on a boat all day.

That said, I think shifts, if do-able is a great idea. If my schedule works out so I can stay SUnday night - I don't care at all.

juro
08-13-2001, 05:56 PM
Just thought I'd add that we are only missing a few spots, out of those some have yaks and canoes, and I'm sure there will be shifts available on top of that. Didn't mean to paint a worse picture than it is!

That being said, thanks to all who are willing to fish the jetty with me, I can say with total sincerity that you could be fishing in worse places than the Waquoit Inlet. Eel River is another place we can get dropped off, or yak over to - just to the west. I've had some hellacious days over there around the rockpile on the shoals as well as in the deep channels. The west side beach is reminiscent of the Quonny west side beach, which runs between the two inlets.

Here is a picture I took of fish inside the jetty last year...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/boneclave2000/juros/full/bustin.jpg

Here's one from the year before...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/froms101/clavepics/bustin.jpg

MarkDoogue
08-13-2001, 06:32 PM
I'll donate my yak to the cause as well. Mike, you can pick it up and bring it down.

~Mark

timwatts
08-13-2001, 06:37 PM
I can take three on my boat plus myself. just have to take turns casting. Don't mind doing shifts in order to get everyone out. Unfortunatly will have to head back earlier monday than planned, around two in the afternoon.

bigcat988
08-13-2001, 11:40 PM
I have a rider for Sunday morning but can pick up one more for the afternoon.
I can take out 2 anglers plus myself the boat fishes 2 very nice, but we will have to rotate so we all get to fish.
I plan on staying until Tuesday and don't mind doing shifts to get people out on the water.
Also I think we should set up some kind of communication between boats VHF or cell .

juro
08-14-2001, 01:26 PM
Thanks Tim and John -

Good point in the VHF, channel TBD at the gathering point. Cell phone #'s will be emailed to those who signed up. I recommend printing them out and putting them in a pocket just in case.

juro
08-14-2001, 01:35 PM
UPDATE:

If you are bringing a yak/canoe, please re-enter the info on the sign-up sheet. I would like to say posting is enough but the reality is that it leads to mistakes and is too hard to do.

Yakker's can leave their gear at the White's Landing area and someone will take responsibility for it. Please be aware that it will need to be brought back as well so pack light.

Someone mentioned alternate launch points, this is a good idea for those who are not staying thru the whole time. Hold off though, the logistics of this need to be investigated. If it's easier to drop people back at the other launches then that's the best course of action.

I could use a volunteer to investigate the launch options with respect to small craft users and report here (please).

Tod, Terry and I will work on the other roster details. Sorry for the delay, working out the boats/riders/days/shuttles is a big task.

TinMan
08-14-2001, 01:45 PM
MarkDoogue (08-13-2001 06:32 p.m.):
I'll donate my yak to the cause as well. Mike, you can pick it up and bring it down.

~Mark

If you're referring to me, THANKS. But I've never used one and don't feel comfortable doing such with someone elses.

BTW: lemme try this one more time: rain or shine for Sunday?

juro
08-14-2001, 01:48 PM
TinMan (08-14-2001 01:45 p.m.):
MarkDoogue (08-13-2001 06:32 p.m.):

~Mark

If you're referring to me, THANKS. But I've never used one and don't feel comfortable doing such with someone elses.

BTW: lemme try this one more time: rain or shine for Sunday?

Mark is referring to his brother Mike, I presume. I missed the other question... are you looking for a weather report for Sunday?

Good link (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USMA0240?day=0&vert=WeatherCity)

TinMan
08-14-2001, 02:16 PM
Mark is referring to his brother Mike, I presume.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up Juro, hard to make out the Doogues.

I missed the other question... are you looking for a weather report for Sunday?

:) No, actually, was just wondering if I wake up to thunderstorms on Sunday morning, are we still meeting to fish (shore for instance)?

Good link (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USMA0240?day=0&vert=WeatherCity)[/quote]

juro
08-14-2001, 02:32 PM
God forbid! }>

Seriously, good question.

Well, the crew is still going to head out there and if that's the case the previous tenant may have vacated already. The forecast at this point calls for scattered wet stuff on Sun w/ clearing to fishin' weather mon and tues.

This reminds me - Terry, put three long ropes on the list. I will bring both mondo tarps just in case. Also a fresh rolls of Duct tape are critical to easy set up. Twine and stakes would make life easier too.

Anyway, that's up to you - people will be forging onward regardless of the weather. Even if it's poor weather the fishing should be excellent around the inlet, South beach's inshore rip, Succonesset, and the Eel River inlet, etc.

We've never been challenged by the weather yet so this might be a good experience to set up lean to's using three ropes.

Two parallel ropes, one in between the two and set higher; front edge of tarp secured to forward lower rope, then slung over peak, then over the back rope, then secured to the ground on the direction of the wind and weather. Tables will go under these. Doesn't sound like a big issue for Sunday.

Lefty
08-14-2001, 02:36 PM
Already got a whole spool of Twine packed.
It will have to be down pouring to get me to hit a bowling alley in Faltmouth for the day. We'll see though.

Lefty

grego
08-14-2001, 03:24 PM
I did not put my boat on the list, because it is Up For Sale (see "For Sale By Owner" Forum).

But it looks like I'll be there with boat (at this point I'd put off any Sale until After The Clave).

I have a rider for Sunday AM, and I'll probably get my dad out for a half day on Monday.

So, I'll throw my boat in as a WildCard & try to pick up some Stranded Shore Anglers. So, if you've been Honing your Sucking-up & Brown-nosing skills at work, here's your chance to put them to good use :->

striblue
08-14-2001, 09:41 PM
I am hoping someone can take me on a boat Sunday.. Probably in the afternoon... If not I will shore fish. Juro would you place me on the boat list. Big Cat ,If you have room, I would love to fish with you . Please let me know for timing purposes.

JimW
08-14-2001, 10:42 PM
I checked out the launch / ramp at Seapit road. This ramp is a much straighter shot to the East side of Washburn. The problem is there are parking restrictions, no parking 2am-6am. Day trippers launching small craft may gain some benefit but it's no good for overnight and there is only room for about 12 cars. It was dark down there so I can't give an good info on the shape of the ramp but it shouldn't matter for kayaks and canoes. The Childs river put in is probably the best bet.

bigcat988
08-14-2001, 11:05 PM
Ok John your in for the afternoon.

MarkDoogue
08-14-2001, 11:16 PM
Sorry, my kayak comment was intended for my bro', Mike. He will have mine with him most likely, so, any and all are welcome to try it. My yak is a lot like the Millenium Falcon. She ain't pretty, but she gets the job done. You can't hurt her so fear not. As long as she doesn't end up on the bottom of the ocean then their are no worries.

~Mark

Bobparsons
08-15-2001, 12:07 AM
Since I have a faster boat this year, I could work shifts. Maybe on sunday take a someone out to succonessitt for a couple hours and then return for a new passenger?

juro
08-15-2001, 12:14 AM
Thanks Bob, that's generous of you. Looking forward to this, starting to get pretty pumped up!

Dave
08-15-2001, 05:28 PM
I'm not arriving Sunday ubtill mid to late afternoon so I can help set up camp, fish fron the jetty, anything to help. Is there a time been established to pick up people late in the day Sunday to ferry them over to Washburn?
Dave Williams

Lefty
08-15-2001, 08:55 PM
Dave,
That's a new one. Someone will have to shoot upriver to grab you in the middle of the action. Any other options? Juro ideas? One option is to time it for the night time drop off after dinner. We could talk by cell as to the exact time. But then you miss a 1/2 day.
Anyone other boaters arriving miday Sun?

Lefty

juro
08-16-2001, 01:19 AM
grego (08-14-2001 03:24 p.m.):
I did not put my boat on the list, because it is Up For Sale (see "For Sale By Owner" Forum).

But it looks like I'll be there with boat (at this point I'd put off any Sale until After The Clave).

I have a rider for Sunday AM, and I'll probably get my dad out for a half day on Monday.

So, I'll throw my boat in as a WildCard & try to pick up some Stranded Shore Anglers. So, if you've been Honing your Sucking-up & Brown-nosing skills at work, here's your chance to put them to good use :->

GregO -

It's late and I am not thinking very clearly but I could use a little clarification...

Is your Sunday rider one of the clave sign-ups? If so I could stop trying to place that person.

Glad I caught this post, I can now take you off the list of people looking for a spot on a boat too.

I can't figure out if you'll have room for any riders so I will assume you do not until further notice.

I think people on shore duty will be in their yaks so I guess they'd have to be of the Dilbert class to get on board, eh? ;-)

grego
08-16-2001, 09:43 AM
Juro,

My Sunday AM Rider has a (forgotten) family obligation, So I am now open.

I was going to change the signup sheet, but couldn't figure out how. So, here's my status. I'll be at Whites @ 0530 on Sunday; I can shuttle 2 & fish 2. I can also do an AM/PM thing if that's what's decided. I can fish 1 on Monday, cause I'll have my dad. Tuesday, I'll probably fish early AM & then head out, I have an early meeting on Weds.

juro
08-16-2001, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the update, I ended up giving up trying to finalize the suggested assignments last night. What a difference a little sleep makes! I will be working on it thru lunch and it should be done very soon.

Thanks again