SOS Inflatable PFD Deal [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: SOS Inflatable PFD Deal

Roop
08-12-2001, 09:30 PM
Have the opportunity to pick up 10 of the self inflating (rip cord) Offshore,35#, belt style PFD's. These can alos be inflated orally if the CO2 cartridge craps out. They retail from West Marine for $79.99, if I buy 10 the price I got was @ $53 + tax.

I have four or five already spoken for, email me if you want in. If we go over 10 I'll order as many as needed.

Let's target Tuesday night 8:00 PM for a commitment.

Roop

John Desjardins
08-12-2001, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the work Jeff.

Lefty
08-13-2001, 10:02 AM
Hey Roop,

Confused, when they say "self inflating (Rip Cord)"-which is it? Can't be both? Or is it?
I thought self inflating would mean "water activated" etc. I may be interested.

Lefty

Roop
08-13-2001, 12:04 PM
Actually, “they” don’t call it self-inflating – I did.

From the West Marine catalogue “it must be put on in two stages – by first manually yanking the ripcord sharply downward to activate the inflator and then placing the inflated bladder over the head and around the neck. The 2” W belt adjusts to fit 30”-52” waists. The unit accommodates adult swimmers over 80lb and is fully reversible, so it operates even if worn backwards when inflated. USCG-approved Type III.

In addition, our cost is $59.49 + tax.

Roop

Lefty
08-13-2001, 12:39 PM
Thanks Roop. I interpret that to not be the model I'm after. But I appreciate the offer.

Lefty

juro
08-13-2001, 01:01 PM
Jeff -

I own two of these. As I recall they cost me quite a bit more!

Since I don't want to immerse them in saltwater any more than I have to, I wear them inside the tops of my waders for stowage, like you would put lifejackets under the console on a boat. If needed I would bring them to the outside before inflating, obviously. My waders also have quick snap releases at the suspender fronts so if I didn't have time I could just unsnap the suspenders and the belt would be ready for action. I wear the pfd above the wader belt / stripping basket belt and below the tops of my chest waders.

Thanks for organizing this.

bcasey
08-13-2001, 05:45 PM
Roop,
I wish I'd spoke to you about 3 weeks ago. I bought one at the full price and I still think it's a bargain. I hope everone is paying attention, (see Petes post about the 240#er).
Roop, I commend you for your thougfulness!

SOLO
08-13-2001, 06:12 PM
Senior ROOPMEISTER...
Since I have a first hand interest in this "concept" and since there seems to be a certain "reluctancy" to step forward and commit to a purchase...I'LL TAKE ONE, PLEASE? THANKYOU!
Aerodynamically yours,
SAR Coordinator

DFix
08-13-2001, 06:59 PM
Jeff - what's the difference in price between these and the SOSpenders??? I'd be interested in the suspenders more than a belt model Mae West style, if I've got the mental pic right.

Roop
08-13-2001, 07:50 PM
Dave,

As I see it, the suspenders have the PFD enfolded in them and need to be worn on the outside of everything.

The belt has a small pouch, you inflate the PFD and put your head through & zip it up.

That's the best I can do - I checked West AMrine on line they didn't have a photo of this model.

Roop

Roop
08-13-2001, 08:02 PM
OK,

We've hit 10.

Those who emailed me or requested here - you're in.

Anyone else who wants in needs to email me by 8:00 PM tomorrow night (Tuesday 08/14/01 20:00 hrs EST). That's when I'm calling in the order.

Sorry if I appear to be a catankerous shopkeeper... now buy something or get out!!

Nick
08-14-2001, 07:14 AM
Roop,
I'll square up with you this weekend at the clave.
Nick

jim
08-14-2001, 07:41 PM
I'm new to this forum, but have been following it since June after I met Richard Court on Scorton Creek. He indicated that this was the best site for info on northeast striper fishing. After spending a day in the fog on the Monomoy flats, I have been thinking strongly about an inflatable PFD. If I had not taken a compass reading before leaving the island, I think I would have been in deeeep trouble.

Thus, if you can include me on purcasing the PFD at your rate, I would apprecaite it.

Regards,

JIM