Fly Fishing Forum banner

TFO 9' 4-pc. 12-wt.

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
I was thinking about building a 12-wt. until I saw the price of the TFO rods: $150, with a warranty. At that price, I'm nearly willing to risk taking the plunge based on nothing more than the price and the reputation that these rods have gotten over the past year or so. I would appreciate it if those of you who have fished or own these rods would give me some input; are they that good? None of the local stores carry them, so I have no means of testing the action. This rod, BTW, will be used for tarpon and whatever I end up hooking into offshore. TIA...

#2 ·
Well, I'm very pleased with my 2pc 9' 9wt, and I tested a 2pc 9' 6wt at the Wilmington show and it seemed nice as well. I don't have enough experience with other brands to help compare the action and quality of the TFO rods with other rods. I've never casted a 12wt either. I also discovered that my Redington reel does not seat properly on the TFO rod, so you should make sure that the reel you plan to use will work well with that rod before you shell out the cash. I'm not sure how useful this info will be to you, but that's my experience with TFO rods.

Q

#3 ·
Q - actually, that's important information indeed; I may be using a Redington AL 11/12 on the rod until I get the cash saved up for a Tibor... the AL had better fit! Generally, I'm wondering what the action is on this rod, and how well it will cast a line to cruising poons. I realize that this is a subjective question, because casting distance and accuracy rely largely on the skill of the fisherman, but on the other hand some rods are certainly better than others.

#4 ·
I think the TFO rods are phenominal rods for the dollar.I have several models and I am planning on getting either the 12wt Saltwater or 11wt Ti this year.I have heard nothing but praise regarding these rods and on places like Dan Blanton's saltwater website,you'll find dozens of great posts regarding them(and this particular model) from numerous people including Dan himself.I would say that their action is medium fast to fast(though not as fast as some of the high end sticks).They are very comfortable to cast,yet still have plenty of power to throw big flies and heavy heads.I too,find it hard to justify building a rod for the price of these.Considering that most saltwater rods look pretty similar and that there isn't that much I would change if I were building one myself,I would probably buy a TFO before building a rod(unless of course I got an incredible deal on a high end blank).I'll save my rod building for rods 8wt and under.

#5 ·
I have the TFO 12-weight but have only cast it on the lawn. Regardless of what you call the action, it is an easy rod to throw a lot of line with. From a fish-fighting standpoint, I think it would be better if it had a foregrip. It certainly seems a bargain at the price.

#7 ·
I've cast the 9x9 and had no problem throwing the whole line with it on grass. I would describe that blank as loading thru the whole length but with good modulus, such that it unloads well - providing an easy casting tool with good line speed at a bargain price.

I noticed that people who are used to fast rods and a whiplash casting stroke don't do too well with that rod when they first pick it up, but then again won't do too well with bamboo either. Stiff rod casters don't know how sweet a flyrod can feel IMHO, or maybe I am missing something - to each his/her own.

Anyway, the TFO casts well, loads well, and comes w/ a phenomenal price. IMHO - if you have the money, buy an RPLXi or one of the many high-end, high-dollar rods that deliver an even sweeter stroke with even more line speed even more effortlessly. But at a fraction of the cost, the 9x9 I cast delivered it's money's worth.

One possible concern with this rod (the 9x9 4pc) was blank diameter / stoutness in the lower section, and around the ferrule. As long as the rod is not over-lined and the caster is not too far out of rhythm with aggressive double-hauling, I think the thin butt section will hold up for the rigors of surf-fly casting, but by the degree of flex it showed made me wonder if it could turn a 40" bass in current.

I haven't heard of anyone exploding them so I guess it's pure speculation on my part. I have however heard people praising their warranty.

With my limited exposure to TFO rods I gotta assume they are a great deal for the money and a price/performace winner for those looking for a bargain rod.

.02, your results may vary, FWIW, etc.

Juro

#8 ·
I second all the above praise for TFO - I own a whole bunch of 'em - 9 ft 5wt, 7wt 9wt plus my new toy - 12ft 8/9 Spey for the Surf.

I too am seriously considering the 4pc 12wt to round out the collection for my Kauai trip. I have a couple of Loomis 12wts but they are 2pc.

Juro is right on with the description of the action. I too was a fast-gun fan until I learned to appreciate other actions (thanks Lefty!). Actually, when you get into the 12wt and up range my sense is that most rods feel pretty punchy.

At this price point the comparison is "two for less than the price of one" - so that's what I'll probably do.

They are on the exhibitor list for Wilmington - Maybe we could "cajole" them into a Sponsorship??;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.