Fly Fishing Forum banner

Lines for smallmouth

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BigDave 
#1 ·
I'm just finishing up my new 8 wt, and i'm looking for a good line for smallmouth. I'm interested in those new welded loop lines from rio, because I spend my winters fishing steelhead worring about knots and connections - That's the last thing I want to think about in the summer!

What's your favorite smallmouth line?
I'm usally fishing small shallow rivers with big streamers and poppers.

Neil

#2 ·
I have a pair of Cortland 444s that have taken a beating over the past few seasons. The weight forward tapers in anything from a 6 to 8 (depending on flyrod weight) in floating and sink tip have been great.

I haven't tried the new 555s, but I assume that they'd be at least as good as what I'm using now.

Neither of these lines have the welded loop knots that you mention, so YMMV.

#3 ·
Bass Line

I use the "Orvis WF-9F Bass Wonderline" for bass, salmon & steelheads...
It too has a spliced loop for the leader connection.

The line comes in sizes ranging from 6wt. to 10wt. and is chartreuse in color.

I use Wonderline on all three of my fly rods.

1wt. :cool:
5wt. :cool:
9wt. :cool:

There is nothing like a lunker smallmouth on a 1wt. fly rod that has just taken a #8 Montana nymph. :smokin:

#4 ·
rio

Hi Neil,

I assume you are referring to the RioGrande line with the welded loop. I use this on my 6wt for trout/steelhead and it is an excellent line. Very slick, durable and the loop is tough as nails. Has been through 2 seasons of abuse and looks like new.

It would work well for bass fishing because it is what I would call "oversized'. The 6 weight line is really more of a 6 1/2. One thing to be careful of is using it on rods with small guides/tip tops but with an 8wt this should not be a problem.

If you cast lots of bulky poppers, etc you may want consider a bass bug specialty line that you can shoot a mile but I prefer more versatility as I'm more of a trout guy.

Best of luck,

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.