New Hampshire fishing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New Hampshire fishing

mgod
03-03-2003, 10:06 PM
I am going to be staying in thenorth conway area for a week in late July. Can anyone give me some ideas of some nearby trout mecca's? Thanks in advace

juro
03-03-2003, 10:42 PM
I like the Saco for aesthetics but you have to beat the tire tube hatch. The upper Pemmigewasset is nearby as well. In my White Mountain days I tended to make the drive over to the northwest part of the state near the Vermont border for solitude and plenty of trout.

I'm sure there are many who can provide more recent info...

John Desjardins
03-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Like Juro my knowledge is a little dated but I'll second the Saco. Late July will be early & late in the day so you should miss the inner tube hatch. The Androscoggin is not too far north of Conway and will provide a big water experience if you fish it in the 13 mile wood area. Be very carefull on wading there.

There are also a number of small streams that you will pass driving that may hold brookies. My experience has been that they can be in some surprising places.

John Desjardins
03-04-2003, 09:49 AM
Some things I forgot to add last night are that there are some ponds that are easily accessible that are worth investigating with a float tube, Western Maine is a couple of miles away, and that great bay (salt water) is about an equal distance south of Conway as the androscogin is to the north.

mgod
03-04-2003, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the info and suggestions guys. I wouldn't mind trying them all.