Fly Fishing Forum banner

new reel advice for 5wt

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BobK 
#1 ·
I got a 590 XP as a present for working at my company for 25 years, a $25/yr bonus, but beats the heck out of a watch. Wondering what other reels people have for 5wt? I have System 1, Stratos, Teton, Diawa, Cortland and old Pflueger currently. The teton is already on a 5wt and think I want to have two rods set up at same time occasionally, also it clicks lightly on line in and would rather it didn't. The Stratos doesn't but it is pretty expensive and heavy, a bonefish/steelhead reel.

The new Ross Evolution is pretty, but $275.

Ok, must be black, pretty and no click line in. Has anyone had experience with an Orvis LA Battenkill?

#2 ·
If you don't wan't a reel that clicks on retrieve, a click and pawl drag (Orvis CFO, Hardy, most of the traditional trout reels) is out. So are reels that have a dog clutch (Abel, Tibor, Ross, most of the others). A truely silent retrieve is possible with reels that have a one way bearing for the clutch. Reels that have this type of clutch are Bauer, LightSpeed/Lamson, G.Loomis, and the Sage "D" series. For that rod, given a silent retrieve, I really like the LightSpeed for my XP #5.
Loop Traditional reels don't have a clutch so they are silent on the retrieve, but the wheels are prone to getting flat spots if you store them with the drag tight.

#3 ·
Galvan!...if you want a silent retrieve...I own an OB 4 in black and I have already landed many large trout that can scream and wreak havoc on light tippets and it hasnt skipped a beat.

The Evolution is an incredibly light and smooth reel as well but it is has a click on the in although its more of a light purr then anything...very attractive!

#6 ·
Brad,
Where did you see a 0.5 Abel for $225? Went to flyfishusa.com and they were $300. Still not a bad price for an Abel. They have a TR3 on consignment for $225 but it is pretty big for a 5 wt line.

Is the 0.5 silent on retrieve?

I haven't looked at a Galvin yet. People that have them seem to like them from the posts. Saw one in the case at a shop in Sunriver Oregon two weeks ago, was green.

Thanks for the posts so far, I am going to Sunriver again this weekend, if the snow isn't good the Fall River is just 8 miles away.

#7 ·
Dave it is silent both ways so if you like to draw attention to yourself when your fish runs this is not a good choice. I have one and and it is by far the smoothest reel that I have used. I do not want to get one of Juro's you know the rules post so check you PM box

#8 ·
I want to thank all the people that had input. I went and checked out the Galvan's at a flyshop in Sunriver Oregon. They are very nice. My local fly shop in Vancouver Wa is having a sale on all gear, but he does not carry Galvan. I decided on the Evolution. It does have a fairly light purr on line in, but it does meet the black and pretty criteria. Now I have to give it to the wife to wrap for my BD next monday.

#10 ·
Now watch the reactions....

Get a reel to balance the rod. Make sure the rod balances in your casting hand. You will avoid fatigue in a day's casting. Since you're using a 5-weight, most of your fish will be on the smaller size (compared to steelies and salmon), so the drag is not a "supercritical" item as it would be in a steelie rod.

Get a good reel, but you don't have to spend a fortune on it.

Just my opinion.

BobK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.