waddington shank [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: waddington shank

sean
03-03-2003, 12:33 AM
Anyone know of a place in the seattle area I can pick some of these up????

-sean

juro
03-03-2003, 06:41 AM
Sparky, how about Kaufmann's? Aaron?

If you don't find them in the Seattle area, Dave Steinbaugh has a big selection out in PA at Waters West (upcoming sponsor too).

Doublespey
03-03-2003, 10:51 AM
If you know the size you want, Dave from Waters West can mail 'em to you.

As for the Seattle area - I think I remember seeing a few at Swede's in Woodinville.

Good Luck!

Brian

NrthFrk16
03-03-2003, 11:15 AM
We dont stock them...I've looked in recieving a supply of them from Partridge but Partrdige no longer produces them! :(

sean
03-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Oh no I hope they do not stop making them. I love those things but I guess I could use tubes...

I know Waters West has them(should have bought them at the show) and will call Dave to get some shipped. Was hoping they were around locally but I guess not. May have to buy all of Waters West's stock:).

Thanks for the help,

-sean

Doctor Fish
03-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Waddington Shanks are indeed still being produced and are available. Some sources are Bob Marriott's, Hunters Angling Supply and Whitetail Flies & Supplies.

Happy Tying!

Willie Gunn
03-03-2003, 01:02 PM
I can get them in the UK and post them across. Fred Evans has a quantity that I sent him.

Malcolm

fredaevans
03-03-2003, 03:48 PM
And I'm not sharing.:D

Great stuff to do Steelhead/Salmon fly. Far prefer them to doing tube flys.
fae

sean
03-03-2003, 04:41 PM
Well Fred you better keep em locked up when I get down there in 3 weeks :devil:

-sean

Willie Gunn
03-03-2003, 05:01 PM
Just a couple of waddingtons to give him the taste. Once we get him hooked we could start an import/export business.

Malcolm

fredaevans
03-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Willie, as usual, your right. I''ve got his address so I'll tempt him with some different sized Waddingtons. Besides, Sean will be spending several days with Joan and I in a couple of weeks. Wouldn't look good for me to find him 'proweling around' in the wee hours of the morning ......
:>)

Originally posted by Willie Gunn
Just a couple of waddingtons to give him the taste. Once we get him hooked we could start an import/export business.

Malcolm

TerryD
03-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Sean: Check you PM box for a sale offer.

TerryD:D

BobK
03-04-2003, 06:12 AM
If you really need some, make sure you correspond with Dr. Fish (he posted above). He is a very knowledgeable rep. of a major hook manufacturer, and if anyone knows, he does! (They may also be a domestic distributor, for all I know!)

BobK

RLN
03-04-2003, 09:57 AM
waddington shanks are still produced by Mustad. Just contact them in New York and see where you can get them. I just received an order from them.

BobK
03-04-2003, 10:42 AM
That's right, and Dr. Fish is affiliated with them.

BobK

speyman
03-08-2003, 03:09 PM
I carry them in 35mm and 45 mm at my shop, [edited for sponsorship violation]

I just started using them and they are way cool.

pmflyfisher
03-08-2003, 06:46 PM
FYI

I just posted the picture of Freds waddinton fly in the steelhead and salmon archive.

See Rogue River - Unnamed

ONE BIG FLY ! :whoa:

PM Out

sean
03-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Thanks to Terryd I now have a supply of the 45s that should last a long time.

Am putting together an article on the Dave Steinbaugh pattern he tied at the show for us that should be ready in a few weeks.

Heading out at o'dark thirty to hook me a monster on one I just finished tying :smokin:

-sean

juro
03-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Found a pic from the show of this fly...

Thanks to Dave Steinbaugh of Waters West!

http://flyfishingforum.com/shows/seattle2003/waterswest-sm.jpg

pmflyfisher
03-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Wow, peacock herl is one of my favorite materials. Thats one big fly. I

Cool fly, gives me some more ideas ! :)

thanks

PM Out

removed_by_request
03-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Too bad they don't make it in purple......

sean
03-12-2003, 08:05 PM
You guys do not have dyed peacock herl out there???

It acutally uses the peacock eye wrapped from the tip like a collar. Willl get full tying steps soon and you gotta see this fly in the water. ..

-sean

John Desjardins
03-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Sean the only dyed peacock I've seen was inferior quality at craft stores. Brittle & fewer barbs/herl. Not what you want to put into a fly.

sean
03-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Hmmm....thought you guys would have some of it. Our flyshops around here have some pretty impressive strung herl. One type is a slightly darker green that looks killer on trout nymph patterns. The red is also nice for midge patterns.

Could arrange to send out some samples....:cool:

-sean

pmflyfisher
03-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Don't think I have seen any dyed peacock. Have to do a net search.

Pm Out

inland
03-12-2003, 11:14 PM
A better idea for dyed herl is Rhea "Super Spey", as labeled by Paul Miller. Check the links on Bob Meiser's website and look for Siskiyou Aviary. It is pretty great stuff, especially for large winter flies.

William

sean
03-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Yep that is nice stuff as well. They gave Juro and I a bunch at the show to distribute to our east coast tyers to see what they can come up with. Juro have you been passing that stuff out yet???

-sean

BobK
03-13-2003, 06:30 AM
If they're FREE, Hal will be hounding you both for some "samples"!

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

BobK

removed_by_request
03-13-2003, 07:52 AM
They would have to be purple... and free.

juro
03-13-2003, 09:05 AM
What stuff? :hehe:

Yes in fact I have distributed my samples as far as Japan already! I've incorporated it into a few flies already, it's amazing in that you can separate the barbules from the stem with a flexible stem strip just by pulling down on it! Thus it's void of the problems of using burnt goose, etc.

Talk about undulation (sp?) too.

I will be contacting Sikiyou Aviary about more information so we can make this stuff available to more members.

When I get a chance I will scan a quill so you can get an idea of the qualities of this feather.

Steelheader69
03-13-2003, 02:21 PM
I know that waddington's are a bit heavier, but I've made something similar to a waddington.

I'm also a gear guy, and build alot of my spinners and driftgear. Well, I wanted a bigger profile flie, without the oversized hooks. What I did was (now bear with me since it's unconventional) was use a standard octopus hook or a small siwash. Then, I'd take a heavy gauge wire (for spinner blades, I do believe a .035) and I use my wire former and tie in hook. Then I make the shaft as long as I want, and make the next loop. Then, tie away. Oh yeah, if I tie on the siwash/octopus hook, I tie it first before putting in the ring. Then, once I put wire shaft on, I just put the small loop by hook in vise (usually will fit). Comes out nice, and pretty inexpensive. Plus, it comes roughly out to 150# test on wire (or may be more).

I got this whole idea from a spinner I made. I wanted the bigger fly and had no idea of waddington's. I had been making a spinner with a fly body (weighted of course) with a spinner blade. Kind of came naturally. If you'd like, I think I have one tied up here, can take a digital pic in next day or so and post. I'm busy working the sportsman show fri/sat/sun at the Steelheader Catarafts booth, but will find time to post if you guys want to see it.

speybum
03-19-2003, 05:28 PM
http://www.speyshop.com/waddington-stone-web.jpg

Have been working on waddington shanks.
I have found out that they lend them selves quite well to my weaving.
I have worked on My spring fly with the shanks and like the results.
I have been stocking a limited supply but hope to ad more in the future.

t_richerzhagen
03-21-2003, 07:51 PM
What does a Waddington do that a tube does not?