Trout - Opening Day Madness [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trout - Opening Day Madness

pmflyfisher
03-02-2003, 12:13 PM
fyi

Have not had to deal with this in 23 years since moving to GLs country since most andramous trout and salmon rivers are open 7 X 24.

I don't think I see any fly fisherman in this picture either.

Did trout opening days when a kid in Northern NJ and NYS, but I bet it has been at least 35 years since I fished a trout opening day and never had to contend with crowds like this

PM Out

http://newstribune.com/stories/030203/sta_0302030931.asp

DEERHAAWK
03-02-2003, 05:01 PM
Good afternoon,
Two word's, Backcountry Flyfishing. That was a sizable glove that guy caught though:rolleyes:
Deerhawk

Just me
03-02-2003, 05:53 PM
I haven't fished an opening day in at least 15 years. The local lakes have so many boats on them that you could walk from shore to shore and not get your feet wet. Thank god for skinny water and places that other people don't know about.:D

flyfisha1
03-02-2003, 05:57 PM
Man, that's just sick. I remember opening day in South Jersey as a kid: shores lined with half-asleep people, each with several rods apiece, all waiting to throw the worm-baited-hook into the water near the bank and pull out the essentially brain-dead stocked 8" rainbows as soon as 6 am came. To me, that's not really fishing, it's more like trying to swat a fly with a buick.

BobK
03-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Opening day in NY was always early April (as of the last few years, now fixed at 4/1). B.S. (before Great Lakes steelies), I always had to make the season opener. Usually on smaller streams, and usually in a snow or sleet storm. Yeah, I caught fish, had fun, and always appreciated the warmth when I got home.

But one year, I fished Catherine Creek, a "trib" of one of the finger lakes this was NYs early trib for lake run rainbows (which we now call "steelies"). Yeah, it was cold, and yeah, it was MOBBED! That was my last attempt at fishing first and last attempt at fishing a crowded stream. I hated it, and vowed "never again"!

BobK

John Desjardins
03-03-2003, 09:11 AM
I have to admit that I kinda miss opening day. As one who customarily fishes alone it was one of the few social fishing occassions I had. Admittedly I never fished in crowds like those shown in the picture in the article Hal referenced.

pmflyfisher
03-03-2003, 10:07 AM
Bobk

I always wanted to fish Catherine Creek for those big lake run bows, but never got to. Do they still have them their ?

PM Out

BobK
03-03-2003, 10:26 AM
They are still there, unfortunately the state has "improved" the stream (Flood Control, I guess), and the stream is recovering. This was the first place I witnessed the mob with some snaggers present. Fortunately, wardens had a field day arresting people.

Presently, the old runs are still good (but fish on the small side compared to a GL fishery). Grout Brook (Skaneatles lake), Naples Creek (Canandaigua Lake), several streams feeding Cayuga Lake, Catherine (Seneca Lake) and any other streams feeding any of the finger lakes have these runs.

The mobs have thinned to a degree, as well - but they are TOO crowded for my tastes.

Now I confine my fishing to weekdays to avoid the crowds. BTW, Wednesday is the best day for this - too early for the "early weekenders", and too late for the "late weekenders".

BobK

;)

pmflyfisher
03-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Tuesday and Wednesday are good, they have had some time to calm down from the weekend warrior battering. Although the guides are on them every day during the peak of the runs.

I wonder what these Missouri trout fisherman would do if I showed up with 13 foot spey rod and asked to squeeze in and give me some room to cast ? :chuckle:

PM Out

SDHflyfisher
03-03-2003, 05:07 PM
i went out opening day and i was surprised to see another guy there well at least he was ff and he told me what he was using we fished side by side on a pool in a spring creek. later that day i went to a pond that is spring feed and caught a brookie on a griffith's gnat

paul yochim
03-03-2003, 07:31 PM
I usually take the first week of March as holiday so I can fish the Wisconsin opener. However, the weather forecast was for much colder weather, so I went out on Saturday. It was not very crowded, and I shared my favorite stream with a few others. Yes, the fish were biting. My usual nymphs were very productive. All in all, a very enjoyable day.

SDHflyfisher
03-04-2003, 04:29 PM
same hear paul as a matter of fact it is snowing as i write this

Quentin
03-04-2003, 07:47 PM
That reminds me of the annual fishing derby I used to attend as a kid, which was limited to fishermen 15 yrs old or younger. They used to put 2,500 (sometimes more!) trout into a 2 acre pond and had prizes for the first 3 people to catch a tagged trout each day. They always tossed in a few big fish as well. It was a blast despite the shoulder-to-shoulder crowds and the cross-pond line tangles. I really looked forward to going to that derby every spring. Now I generally try to avoid fishing in crowds, especially when I'm using the fly rod.

Q

wannabespeyboy
03-05-2003, 07:57 PM
That's just not right. I used to fish with my dad in areas where we had maybe a crowd half that size. It was terrible. A person would hook a fish, and the guy next to you would get pissed if the fish crossed his line. I never went back.

I never fish opening day anymore. We make the trip to the cabin every year for opening day, but we rarely fish. At least I don't think we did...I can't seem to remember that much of those weekends. :p

Slinger
03-06-2003, 12:19 AM
I wouldn`t miss opening day for all the tea in China. It`s not the fishing that matters, it`s the celebration of a new season. It`s the campfire breakfast and the story of the guy that fell in. It`s meeting old friends and making new ones and a toast to them that have gone on to scout ahead for new fishing holes. It`s the greatest circus on Earth and I haven`t missed one in 40 yrs. If you think it`s just about the fishing you`re missing the best parts.
Slinger

flyfisha1
03-06-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Slinger
...If you think it`s just about the fishing you`re missing the best parts.
Slinger

... Such as guys dressed in flanels with huge hats, drinking Milwaukee's Best and chain smoking at 5:45 in the morning! :hehe:

John Desjardins
03-06-2003, 09:23 AM
You forgot one of the standards; the 5:45 am swim in 40 degree with waders on. :hehe:

RTF
03-07-2003, 07:28 AM
I dunno, it's 10 below zero right now, the snow is still very deep and trout opens in 3 1/2 weeks :( Heck there is still about 18 inches of ice some of the lakes.

flyfisha1
03-07-2003, 07:34 AM
I'm not entirely sure of the official trout season opening dates in Georgia, but with all of the rain we've had recently the rivers are in pretty serious flood, and I somehow doubt that much success would come to those willing to fish water the color of coffee ice cream. For that matter, just getting safe access to the water could be tricky, but I have no doubt that some die-hard locals will risk it. When the water's this high, I sit inside and tie or practice my casting on the lawn; it's safer.