outlaw stick swingers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: outlaw stick swingers

fishheadfred
02-28-2003, 11:55 PM
i am not what you may consider a typical fly fisher....i am 6'2", 290 lbs, 6 body peircings, three tatoos, and a gunshot scar, shave my head in the summer, and wade the creeks in a pair of cut off army fatigues and sandals...i have been flyfishing for 24 yaears ( since age 6)..i am anything but typical, except for my reverence for the wild and my unnatural need to flyfish to be content....am i the only stick swinging outlaw? just curious.

cohocola
03-01-2003, 12:11 AM
My brother is like you...
He took some body peircing studs and had me tie fly patterns on them so it would look like he got a dry fly stuck in his face...

He said he gets lots of funny looks from the other people out fishing... :hehe:

pmflyfisher
03-01-2003, 07:27 AM
Fishheadfred

There is one particular location I would love to take you fly fishing with me. I am sure with you by my side I would be able to throw my spey line in the sweet runs without the many others getting in my way.

No I have not seen "outlaw flyfishers" as you describe.

Only problem is up here in GLs county, it is cold during the best part of the steelhead and salmon fishing seasons, so unless you are really hard core, warm clothes are a must along with insulated waders.

:chuckle: :chuckle:

PM Out

fishheadfred
03-01-2003, 10:06 AM
thinking about dyeing my goatee too....whadda you guys think about chartreuse or purple? Ha!!!HA!!!

John Desjardins
03-01-2003, 10:12 AM
thinking about dyeing my goatee too....whadda you guys think about chartreuse or purple? Ha!!!HA!!!

Well it depends. If your single most women I know are partial to purple. If married follow Leftys advice and if it aint chartruese its no use.

Penguin
03-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Do unintentional, inadvertent, self inflicted hooksets count as "piercings" once they are removed?!:confused:

Moonlight
03-01-2003, 10:15 AM
One side green ,one side purple would look good give it a whirl you can always change!

BobK
03-01-2003, 10:43 AM
I dunno if it counts or not - what about a "genuine" barbed spey fly in your left earlobe - they come in some real, neat colors - you could have chartreuse, purple and pink all in the same fly! Now THAT should satisfy any gal. (And to think - I know guys who paid a doctor to remove them!) :hehe:

BobK

DFix
03-03-2003, 09:10 AM
For today and tomorrow, you could follow the lead of Mardi Gras and a 'King's Cake' with purple, green and yellow; oh, and don't forget the beads :D from Ash Wednesday through Holy Saturday, though, it's just purple. :whoa:

kush
03-03-2003, 09:29 AM
I don't know about the piercings - but I'm up for a tattoo of a Black GP - that is if a certain well-known beach-ninja/artist that I know gets around to the design :rolleyes:

SDHflyfisher
03-03-2003, 04:19 PM
if it wasn't for my parents i would have blue hair and a pierced eyebrow

fredaevans
03-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by SDHflyfisher
if it wasn't for my parents i would have blue hair and a pierced eyebrow

like your parents alot. And I haven't even met them.:smokin:
fae

BobK
03-03-2003, 07:59 PM
In a few years, you will be AMAZED at how smart your parents are!

Stick to fishing, and the schoolbooks. Leave the blue hair and the piercings to others - it will pay dividends for you in the long run in health, wealth, and happiness. I mean this sincerely.

BobK

pmflyfisher
03-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Bob K and Fred

We missed a few generations I think. At the health club I work out at lunch time I am the only one it seems with out a tattoo. Most of the 40 and under people seem to have them even some of those over 40.

PM Out

BobK
03-03-2003, 10:00 PM
When I was in the Marines, I THOUGHT about getting a tattoo, just a simple one on my wrist - Sgt. R. J. Krawczyk, my serial number, USMC. I never got drunk enough, though.

Many times in my life, I have reflected on it - not doing it was the SMARTEST moves I ever made. Oh, yeah, that would have looked great in the corporate world. Even applying for a decent job. (Just think what blue hair would do for you!)

I remember guys with some gal's name on their arm or chest, then having it removed (sort of) and replaced with another gal's name, then finally having it "disguised" as a ship or tank or something else. I also remember guys waking up, looking at their bandaged arm, and yelling, "What is this!" Then almost being sick at what they had done to themselves.

Why is it the meanest looking guy has a tattoo with hearts and "Mother" on his arm? And a mild-mannered kid has a dagger with "Death before Dishonor" on it? I guess we aren't too smart.

People don't understand that to be an individual, you just don't need these things - they are actually a part of a "uniform" and "complying" and giving in to peer pressures!

BobK

pmflyfisher
03-03-2003, 10:22 PM
I know a CEO of a major insurance company who has one.

Of course he grew up in LA. So its explainable.

Most of ladies at my health club have them.

:D

PM Out

NrthFrk16
03-03-2003, 10:53 PM
I once had blue hair...I wasnt allowed to leave the house (that included fishing) until I bleached it!! :D

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/attachment.php?s=&postid=31882

Adrian
03-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Holy smokes - where's Striblue! :whoa:

John, just imagine what you could create with that :hehe: :hehe:

BobK
03-04-2003, 06:03 AM
The two funniest tattoos I ever saw -

One was on a bikini-clad gal sunning herself on Atlantic Beach, NC. Just above her navel were the words "This isn't it!" and under it was an arrow pointing down.

Another was on a buddy's arm. A picture of a cherry, and the words, "Here's mine - Where's yours?"

BobK:hehe:

SDHflyfisher
03-04-2003, 03:26 PM
i've done the blue hair for two years now for halloween with a gel and spiked it up that right the only person i met so far is nbrandon and i was wearing a hat any ways i spike my hair and every one of my friends at school said it look great and that i should die my hair but of course my parents won't let me. just wait til i'm 18. then i am in deep well you know:devil:

BobK
03-04-2003, 04:18 PM
Famous last words. As long as you live with your parents, and they support you, guess what! They still set the rules. If you go to college, and they support you, guess what!

YOU STILL LIVE BY THEIR RULES!!!

BobK

SDHflyfisher
03-04-2003, 04:33 PM
yep my dad will have a good reason to kill me then

Eddie
03-04-2003, 09:29 PM
I guesse that there aren't too many pierced/tatooed dyed in the gotee flyfishers on this board. Good thing we all have fly fishing in common.
SDH, ignore the advice of the older folks on this board and follow your heart. That is what being young is all about. If it doesn't work out, plastic surgery and lazer treatments will make you as good (or bad) as new. Remember, on your death bed, you will regret more the things you didn't do than the things you did.

BobK
03-05-2003, 06:33 AM
As I age (be 69 in a couple of months), and think back, I don't have too many regrets - and you can bet that "self-mutilation" isn't a regret! What may be "cool" today will be "dumb" in a few years!

These passing fads wear off - do you want to be recognized as an individual, or just be part of the crowd? Think about it!!

BobK

;)

pmflyfisher
03-05-2003, 07:05 AM
Bobk

Bet you have a "crew cut" don't you ? LOL

PM Out

removed_by_request
03-05-2003, 07:57 AM
Imagine when all the young ones turn 80 and the tats' look like blops of ink on thier bodies.

Never understood the piercing thing, but to each his own. No pain no gain.

aknightinak
03-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Probably not as outlaw-looking as once before. I cut off 18" of hair last summer and whittled my earrings down from 5 to 2 (one each ear). My one tattoo is in a place easily covered, and I've not knuckled under to spending the $$$$ on the second I have in mind. More of what will get me classified as an outlaw any more is how I get there. Puts the fear of the ozone in the greenies when I pull into the parking lot, let about 20 psi out of the tires, then keep going.

BobK
03-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Sorry to disappoint you, Hal, but no crew cut. (Winters in upstate NY make you realize that hair has insulating qualities!!)

Yeah, and I still have hair. (Not as much as I once did, but most of it is still there!)

When your wife tells you that your hair is getting thin, just reply "Yeah, but who wants FAT HAIR!"

BobK

pmflyfisher
03-05-2003, 10:39 AM
I'm disappointed, I still have my George Hamilton full head of hair, however it is now grey like Georges. Actually, I saw him last night on some stupid reality TV show, my boys were watching, his hair is gray and looked like a crew cut or flat top style. Go figure.

LOL

PM Out

John Desjardins
03-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Bob, using the word "Fat" in a reply to the spouse that would have been great when I ran into the buzzsaw of pms last night. :tsk_tsk:

removed_by_request
03-05-2003, 11:14 AM
George has had hair implants and does the rogaine commercial.

One of the perks of having and spending $$$$$.

fishheadfred
03-05-2003, 04:56 PM
just logged back on after a few days away and have read your responses to the thread i started with the intent to find fellow kindred souls...not to be lectured about regrets and so forth...Bob, i have a masters degree in marketing and a ba in literature...i haven't missed a day of work other than vacations in five years, and have the most beautiful tribal tatoos you have ever seen....the body peircings are in place that my lady really enjoys, and if i ever get tired of them, i'll take them out and let the holes close.....so i understand where you are coming form Bob, but not everyone shares your point of view, although i do appreciate you sharing it...diversity is good, diversity with understanding is better!!!

pmflyfisher
03-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Fishheadfred,

Welcome back, don't worry about BobK he is educated, older, and wiser than us. He is always advising me what I should be doing maybe I will even listen to him some day.

Cool your a literature major, now I finally have some one to talk about classic literature: Sarte, Voltiare, Camus, Hesse, Dostovesky, Machivelli, Tennyson, Wordsworth, Shelley, Shakespeare, etc, etc....

Loved those courses had some great literature and history professors

Thought I was becoming an existentialist back in college. Took a lot of literature courses as electives and then sold out to a capitalistic career.

PM Out

BobK
03-05-2003, 06:55 PM
These things don't bother me personally. It's just that SDH is a young teenager and impressionable, and may do it for the wrong reasons (pleasing peers!).

Let him make up his mind in a few years - not do something now that he MAY end up being sorry for later.

I'm not uneducated, and not fixed in my views. I just hate to see someone doing it for the wrong reasons. I think you will agree with being an individualist! In fact, I think that's what being an outlaw is all about!

Sorry you got the wrong impression.

BobK;)

fishheadfred
03-05-2003, 07:23 PM
hey bob, nothin' taken personally...just wanted to let you know that the world is a strange place and it takes all kinds...even tatooed hillbillies like me, and just so everyone knows...i hate shakespeare!!!!LOL

and your right about the youngsters...i was 27 before i got my first one, and i have made sure i can hide everything with a pair of pants and a t-shirt.....gotta keep Mama happy!!!

fishheadfred
05-05-2003, 11:29 PM
just today i purchased the june issue of "Fly Rod and Reel". there is a particular editorial letter by a Mr ( and i use THAT term loosely) David Haas about "converting the good ol' boys" into fly fishermen and teaching them the more enlightened ways of a 5wt.

just remember, my brethern, my flock, my weary souls yearning to free on the streams, just because someone drives a rusted out ford and wades is his bibbed overalls, doesn't necessarily mean he's a complete idiot....

besides the tatoos and the body peircings and funny colord beard, i from eastern ky where there is a tremendous population of "good ol boy stick swingers " from way back..... i have fished many a day in old work boots and bibs...in many ways they or somewhat more functional for storage on a light day trip than a bulky vest may be...and a lot easier to shag out of than chest waders when nature calls......

for those of you dear members and guests who haven't seen this letter, i encourage you to check it out... and Mr Haas, i encourage you to open your mind and realize that these good ol boys may have been matching the hatch before ever muddied up thier waters......

tatoos, bibs and a fly rod....a yuppie casters worst nightmare!!!!:p

pmflyfisher
05-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Hey Fishheadfred,

Right on with your observations. Some of my best onstream conversations last week up in Michigan's gods country of trout streams and national forests were with some "good ol boys". We all have a love of the outdoors and pursuit of fly fishing challenges in solitude, amongst peaceful environs, etc.

Where have you been and how did you get the current post to have the same number as the last one are my big questions though ? I suspect the fly fishing must be really good down there and that is where you have been, right ?

LOL :chuckle:

Have a good day and drop in more often.

PM OUt

BobK
05-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Hey, Fred -

Some of these yuppies have got to learn - it's not the clothes, or the cost of the gear that makes the fisherman.

I'd rather jaw and maybe share a drink with a knowledgeable tobacco-chewing back woodsman or a guy with tattoos and funny colored hair than I would the average "Yuppie" snobs (especially the ones with "Orvis" printed on all their gear). In fact, most of the time, I don't wear a new piece of gear unless I just bought it to replace something that fell apart. You gotta LOOK the part!

And when it comes to where someone is from, I have to laugh. I spent a tour in the Marines, and I had buddies from just about everywhere - and all good guys, too!

BobK

pmflyfisher
05-06-2003, 02:00 PM
Bobk

You must look more hardcore than me out there. I like the natural camo look. Although wading without boots is only reserved for hot summer small mouth or trout fishing days.

Fishheadfred would not be able to wade wet on our 30-40 degree water temp streams for very long.

Would not want to run into you on the fisherman's trail in the pitch dark, that could be real scary. I did a few of those last week, just ran into a heard of white tails.

PM Out

removed_by_request
05-06-2003, 03:25 PM
huh???

BobK
05-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Sorry, but I don't get it. What's natural camo??? As long as you blend in with your surroundings, and don't wear anything that doesn't blend in, what else??? Yeah, my old "Jones" hat has a camo pattern on it, and my ol' Filson "Packer's" hat is brown, but my waders are either light brown or medium dark green, depending on which ones I wear. No, I don't wear "Duck hunter's" camo-pattern waders. And I usually wear a foul weather gear jacket (or "rain" jacket, for the yuppies) in a neutral green color, not camo. Hell, that's about all the trout can see, anyway, and it doesn't keep me from catching 'em.

You don't have to wear the latest fashions to catch trout - just know where they lie, and don't do dumb things. Too many times I see guys standing where they should be fishing, or wading quickly, creating waves and spooking every fish in the stream. Good - more for me after the commotion settles down!

BobK

pmflyfisher
05-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Bobk

I wish I could take you to a couple of unnamed brown trout creeks I periodically dry fly fish. I call them micro creeks. One is basically a spring creek. One wrong move with these brown trout and that section of the creek is done for hours.

You better be well camoflauged, patient, walk and wade silently, and be willing to crawl at times. Also limited false casting is necessary.

Once they know you are there, the game is over.

Depending on the creek and its environs the camo changes.

Heck once we even used the hunters camo face paint on our faces and hands ! We were really into it for a couple of years, don't think I could explain the camo paint to my wife now though.

PM Out

removed_by_request
05-06-2003, 08:42 PM
The heron wears no camo yet he eats...

BobK
05-07-2003, 06:48 AM
That's as well as it could be put.

I've fished some creeks like Hal describes, and had the best luck with the old technique of "dapping". No line or leader on the water, just the fly touching down intermittently like it's laying eggs. A deadly technique. It just takes a long time to get in position so you don't spook the fish. Key word is patience, NOT camo.

BobK

fishheadfred
05-07-2003, 02:51 PM
hey PM,

you were right, been fishing myself out of a job!!!!! been hitting the creeks, rivers, mudholes, and big ditches all over eastern ky. but i also had another "little stroke" and have been spending some time at home, rehabbing. no big deal...vision in left eye is completely gone now, but that doesn't stop me from sitting at that damned ol' vise!!! doing well now...thinking about a new tatoo, maybe something to honor ol Bob!!!!

striblue
05-07-2003, 04:06 PM
No tattoo for me...what would the fellows say at the "club". I might get Blackballed...I mean I need my ascots and 100% cotton shirt...(exofficio, naturally... it must be the best since I paid so much for it) It's ok to be in the other direction.. afterall .... ask anyone...you are what you eat and you are what you wear!..... by the way Martha Steward magazines have some kitchen supplies you can use for fishing gaggets..... ;)

fredaevans
05-07-2003, 04:27 PM
"Heck once we even used the hunters camo face paint on our faces and hands ! We were really into it for a couple of years, don't think I could explain the camo paint to my wife now though."

listen in on the conversation between you and your wife? Should be pretty educational.:devil:
fae

fishheadfred
05-08-2003, 01:52 AM
just wanted to run this by you fellas:

the commonwealth has included me in a not so random survey concerning the state of trout fisheries in ky. questions ranged from general regs to creel limits, slot limits, delayed harvest streams, etc...

my question is .... what should be done in the way of punitive action against fishermen who blatantly break regulations and throw all ethics and decency to the wind without the thought of protecting a heritage that so many strive to insure remains a part of the serious anglers life?

what are the penalities for game violations is your homewaters?

BobK
05-08-2003, 06:36 AM
What penalties? Here in Rochester, NY, we have a judge who dismisses every charge against snaggers, etc. He justifies it with a simple, "These poor ghetto folks are just trying to get some money"! Yeah. Snagging hens so they can sell the eggs to support their drug habit! (And don't interfere with 'em on stream - you could get slashed, shot or worse!) And we can't get him thrown out of office!

BobK

DFix
05-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Chris, it isn't a matter of statutes; it's enforcement. it's actual arrest, detention, arraignment, sentencing, based on the letter of the law. You can find any fine/penalty for violation on any state website; finding enforcement or a court that upholds the letter of the law is the biggest problem.Whether that's lack of agency financing, liberal interpretation of statutes or whatever, it's obviously a problem in most states, from what has been battered and banged back and forth in any board I frequent...

As I get older, I find myself steering farther and farther to the right of the road - o, well !

fishheadfred
05-08-2003, 07:32 PM
As I get older, I find myself steering farther and farther to the right of the road - o, well ! [/B][/QUOTE]

dave, you're preaching to the choir...i'm so far right politically and morally that i just buy right shoes!!!!!

Steelheader69
05-12-2003, 04:09 PM
I had a dang good idea if you dyed your goatee purple. If you lose all your flies and need an emergency fly. You can snip off a piece of your goatee and tie to a hook. You'd be all set. :D :hehe:

fishheadfred
05-13-2003, 12:53 AM
been there, done that!!! necessity is the mother of invention!!!!lol