Fly Fishing Forum banner

South Miami recommendations

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I have a friend who is heading to a convention this week end. He and a buddy will be there for the week and want to get out for a few afternoons. He is a proficient fly fishers and his buddy is not. They are talking about doing some "deep sea" fishing, leave around 1 PM and be back by 5 PM, to do their "grope & grin" trick at the customary corporate dinner.
Any suggestions or recommendations for a 1/2 day guided trip?

#2 ·
Hey Pete -

I used to have annual meetings down there. It's not far to Key Largo from Miami (right over the bridge) and once on the keys you can find all kinds of opportunities for guided trips. Deep sea charters are plentiful in Ft.Lauderdale to the north, not a bad drive that way either. I'm sure there are charters out of Miami too. We took a billfish charter out of Ft.Lauderdale. They let me bring a fly rod and try for anything I wanted. We landed bonito, king mackeral, mahi mahi, huge cuda' and had a couple sailfish blast the trolled ballyhoo but miss over and over. The biggest cuda was 50" long! Mostly conventional gear. Captain got a kick out of letting me cast the fly rod to fish teased up to the wake.

Mahi Mahi are great on the fly rod and on the grill too. Flats charters were working the flats just over the bridge in Key Largo as I was heading south to Islamorada and Marathon.

Sorry, I guess I can't really help much on this one. I did enjoy reminiscing though ;-) Anyone else have experience with Miami area angling opportunities for those on business?

#3 ·
I've always done the flats thing while in Miami so I can't really help with any offshore or reef recommendations. But, if you're buddies are interested in flats fishing, the permit action should be very good and there are always planty of big bonefish around (although they are as smart as they are big). Anyway, if this is interesting to them, they can try my buddy Captain Joel Kalman at
captjoelkalman@msn.com

Joel has a few bonefish world records himself and has led his clients to several others (occasionally breaking Joel's own records-ouch!). Joel fishes out of Crandon Park marina on Key Biscayne which is just over the bridge from downtown Miami, about a 10 minute cab ride.

#4 ·
Wow Steve, sounds like a winner! I'll save his email address in case I get to visit myself (my employer's US HQ is in Miami).

Pete, when they get done with their conch chowder, stone crab and key lime pie, tell them to get back to the room from South Beach early and consider giving Capt.Kalman a buzz! ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.